Question about the Windows boot loader

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
mahaju

Question about the Windows boot loader

#1 Post by mahaju »

Hi
Which part of the MBR tells the computer the location of the boot.ini file in windows? Is there any way to manually change this pointer in the MBR to some other location such as, say, my_boot.ini?

Just curious
:)

Cust0dian

#2 Post by Cust0dian »

Why not just edit existing boot.ini? :D
Actually, there is no reference in MBR to boot.ini. MBR executes ntldr — NT Loader which reads boot.ini, so you need to edit ntldr (I don't even nearly know how this can be possible). You might want to see this.

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

What version of Windows are you wanting to modify the boot.ini on?
I have never had any problems just using Grub install on Windows XP and previous releases.
But Windows Vista and 7 have their boot loader made differently.
The easy way to modify that boot loader is to download and use Easy BCD to set up boot.ini.
I used it to set up the Windows Vista boot loader to boot to Puppy on a partition on a second IDE hard drive.

amigo

#4 Post by amigo »

Actually, the windows MBR doesn't even load ntldr. It simply loads the code at the start of whichever bootable partition it finds. If you make the main windows partition inactive(non-bootable), then the system will not boot. As mentioned nldr runs and process the boot.ini file.