veRTix

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
WarMocK

veRTix

#1 Post by WarMocK »

Heyho people,
time for me to show that I'm still alive and working on my linux projects (not only K-9 Linux, but also on a few related POC-Distros projects).
What I have here is one of the key components of Project veRTix: a Puppy-based distribution for games. Only the stuff you need for gaming, nothing more. 8)

--- How to start it: ---
The binary is /usr/local/vertix/vertix. WARNING! It will not be listed in the taskbar, shown on a pager, and requires a total of 200 px from the top border of the screen to be displayed. For the start, open it from a console just in case to see if it works properly.

--- What it does: ---
Technically: not much. It's supposed to be used on a very minimalistic desktop environment and on a system with only a few applications to be started, for example the gaming distro I'm working on. The panel takes a screenshot from the current desktop when it's being launched (therefore, keep the top 200 pixels free of any icons, widgets, and/or windows, as they'd be caught on the screenshot as well) and uses it for displaying a pseudeo-transparent panel comparable to a main menu from a game. It's not supposed to be a highly configurable jack-of-all-trades, I designed it to do a few things, and at least on my PC, it does them quite well. :D

The veRTix panel sits on top of the screen powered by a minimalistic window manager (right now I'm using evilwm) and provides exactly FIVE buttons, all of them specialized on doing exactly one particular thing:

PLAY! - opens a list of executable binaries listed in /usr/local/vertix/config/config. IMPORTANT: the binary to be started needs to be named exactly as written in the config!!! Of course that means that you can't add fancy names in that config by default - unless you create a shellscript in /usr/sbin which starts the program/game you want, and rename it to sound cool, of course. :wink:

BROWSE - opens the default web browser

MANAGE - opens /usr/local/vertix/scripts/filemanager (you can edit the file manager to be used by replacing "rox" in the script with the file manager of your choice).

SETTINGS - opens /usr/local/vertix/scripts/settingsmanager (same as above. You can edit the shellscript as you see fit).

QUIT - opens TinyLogout, which I included in the dotpet.

You can change the skin of veRTix by replacing the images in /usr/local/vertix/images. However you must stick to their dimensions, as they are hardcoded into the sourcecode file.

Last but not least, you can also find the source code file in the same directory as the binary if you want to make some adjustments. For compiling the code, I personally used the following, either in a terminal in /usr/local/vertix/ or in a shellscript in that directory:

Code: Select all

g++ -Wall -pedantic -o ./vertix ./vertix.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
Feedback and constructive criticism is always welcome. Have fun with it! ^^

Attachments
vertix-1.0.pet
(136.31 KiB) Downloaded 433 times