treewm

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
`f00

treewm

#1 Post by `f00 »

Not real fancy, but quite interesting - treewm may be a good choice for smaller screens. Lots of options and seems stable , only bad was when I closed the root desktopº accidentally :lol: typing in the dark to get back (prompts are for sissies ;)

Some errors at compile/make (xprop and xkill went south) but it dumped the binary in src and after a bit of use seems fairly functional. Start it up with wbar or similar so you're not at a loss. Full size first screenie @217k, later wide screenie @131k, an extra note there: using a roxpin 'locks' the viewport down so there's no panning. Very likely some may be able to do better, but here's my archive fwiw as a taste (done on p431).

º a short story there - afterwards I had some issue with xfe fm (it opened but didn't 'show' in other wms.. a puzzle! Some time later (after a trace with htop among other things which clued me back to treewm - aha it might be a good idea to "Release Windows" and whahalla, that lil' bit solved :D but not a long-term solution for me).

(from running xpad) Due to some initial 'thrashing', my favorite file manager(s) xfe don't show in other wms - they show on htop as loaded but not visible (what can you do with an 'invisible' fm in a gui .. unless you have most excellent recall of key cmds). Oddly enough, xfw/v works fine so it's just irritating (but getting reaquainted with rox is ok maybe).

Funny, that 'forces' me to use treewm when I do moderate to heavy fm tasks - perhaps I'll be getting really familiar with treewm ;) screenie of the culprit's props @41k

FYI - some accidental input may throw you into a blackscreen (Lost In Space "DANGER, Will Robinson!") but it may be possible to save ~or~ change to another wm :lol: .. recently my p431 (and wary514) got back to a 'normal' visible Prompt, so that's a relief for my sissyside ;)

overview and readme

Feel free to give examples of your ~/.treewm file (as an attachment works if you spoof the extension or just archive it). It likes full paths for the native button icons (if that's not in my sample), /usr/share/treewm/pixmaps is a handy dir for those (and any syms like a default generic if you want an icon for apps that don't show one when minimized). Comments and so on welcome as well .. btw, yeahlaunch works nicely for a lite launcher 'til you get stuff sorted natively :)

___addenda 120901___
Finally got treewm going in racy 5.3 screencap-link @239k
.. a somewhat related forum-link about charsets and UTF-8 un/ticking
Attachments
dot-treewm.tar.gz
here's my current work-in-progress, fwiw..
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
treewm-0.4.5a.tar.gz
package deal
(78.81 KiB) Downloaded 362 times