Chinese Language

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
3dmatrix

Chinese Language

#1 Post by 3dmatrix »

I am unable to read chinese characters in Firefox and may be in other applications also. I need to know how i can do that. In fact i downloaded some files from : http://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy/files/ and extracted a few TTF files and pasted them in /usr/share/fonts/default/ttf/ but every time i did that Xserver crashed. So had to start everything from scratch again.

If possible i would also like to have the feature to type in chinese but i do not wish to use files from unofficial sites. So if that is not possible - its ok - no prob.

I would also like to create a remastered iso after that so that i can get chinese support out of the box.

Plz advise
[color=olive][u][size=100][b]PUPPY[/b] [b]IS GREAT[/b][/size][/u][/color]

sasaqqdan

#2 Post by sasaqqdan »

http://puppy.cnbits.com/node/1159

Download chinese pet from(This pet is fit for Puppy4.x,quirky,puppystardust,nop,browserlinux,
MyWolfe,newyearspup,puppy214x......)
:

http://mirror.lupaworld.com/puppylinux/ ... 100312.pet

Last edited by sasaqqdan on Sun 14 Mar 2010, 03:45, edited 5 times in total.

ndujoe1

Reading Chinese Fonts

#3 Post by ndujoe1 »

My solution has to been to download the Arialuni.zip file that is on the internet and placing it in the /usr/share/fonts directory.

3dmatrix

#4 Post by 3dmatrix »

I am glad to receive your message. But I wud like to know how we can do this same job from packages available at the official websites. Atleast how we can read Chinese in Puppy. That shud be easy, i suppose.

Deviating a lil from the topic : I wud love to see ppl using Linux in China. How is the situation there ? In fact most of my friends there have not even heard of anything like that. Seems its ONLY Mr Gates who rules there :)

Well I will be visiting Hangzhou in a few months time. Heard its a nice place.

I can also see a mention of Youtube on that pic linked here. Is it possible to access Youtube in China ? In a normal way or through Proxies ? :)
[color=olive][u][size=100][b]PUPPY[/b] [b]IS GREAT[/b][/size][/u][/color]

cecc

#5 Post by cecc »

Hi 3dmatrix,

After you installed the Chinese fonts to the right directry, you might need to type this in your terminal to make the fonts function properly:

Code: Select all

mkfontscale
mkfontdir
fc-cache -vf
then restart X, and the Xserver will not crash.

Also I'd like to say that most of the Chinese Puppy interface translation language files used in the isos and pet packages provided by the first site sasaqqdan supplied are translated by our Chinese E-PUP Linux Forum members.

Our Chinese E-PUP Linux Forum always recommand our Chinese Puppy Linux users to use open source, legal and official things.

Best regards,

Cecc