What are Puppy's minimum system requirements?

Booting, installing, newbie
hayden

sys, req.

#46 Post by hayden »

Thanks. I think of Java as the greatest tool for slowing down computing since Windows so I wonder how this will work out on antique hardware.

I am working with the 233Mz machine now and will post what I learn as I learn it. I discovered the chip is a Cyrix 686. It is supposed to be like a Pentium 300 in performance (at least if you do not do heavy math.). 233 MHz is the maximum speed for the 1997 P5TX-A MB as is the installed 256Mb of memory. People talking about old computers often say "memory is cheap" but it ain't necessarily true for antique memory chips (though you might be able to find some for free is you scrounge around). There are also the issues of how much memory the board can handle, and finding out what sort of chips it requires. In any case, I noted that Puppy 2.02 had NOT activated the swap file yet performance was fine for just running the desktop and opening the default applications. No promises if you try to install KDE4 or edit movies;-)

As I joke I hooked up a USB Blu-Ray drive that I use for backups and was able to read files from a Blu-Ray disk. Pretty good for a 25-year-old system. Performance was rather slow with USB 1.0.

I see these antiques as useful for a variety of audiences. Poor kids who can use if for school. (Maybe it is a feather if it CAN"T be used for play?-) Older folks who want to get on the Internet and receive email from grandchildren who don't write real letters, or check the news and weather online, maybe shop a little. Someone who wants to write a book. but has no money.

Dewbie

#47 Post by Dewbie »

hayden wrote:
Thanks. I think of Java as the greatest tool for slowing down computing since Windows so I wonder how this will work out on antique hardware.
To see if this might affect your computer, go to Menu / System / HardInfo / Processor, then scroll down. Look for cmov in the Capabilities section.

WillE

#48 Post by WillE »

Bruce B wrote:The problem is we aren't an unscrupulous marketing company like Microsoft.
We lack the incentive or financial motivation to lie to you.

If we were, the minimum specs could change, it might be like this:
  • Minimum specs for Puppy is a 386 computer with 2MB RAM.
    Pay 89.95 at the register.
~
Well... I have successfully installed the basic Slacko 5.4 on a system with a K6 350MHz and probably 48 Mb RAM. I say probably because I think one of the sticks was defunct -- it was allegedly 64.

It was, of course, a full install to the (1Gb) hard drive.

It ran well; far better than the Windows 95 SE native to it.