Frugal install of Lucid 5.2.8 - tries to boot wary -SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
wimpy

Frugal install of Lucid 5.2.8 - tries to boot wary -SOLVED

#1 Post by wimpy »

I run a Lucid 5.2.8 using just a CD and USB stick. At some time in the past, when testing, a wary sfs file got put onto that stick. I can remember making that stick bootable some time ago - probably with wary. My recent Precise frugal install was quite successful on another PC, so I decided to try a frugal install of Lucid.on the lucid PC. On Grub4dos, the main option is Lucid528 from the hard disk. However, when it starts to load it demands a wary sfs file. Since there was one on the stick I decided to copy that to the appropriate folder on the HD.. Bad move. The next time I booted the Lucid528 option in grub4dos it actually booted wary. Clearly grub4dos has become confused. How do I tell grub4dos to just forget wary and use the lucid sfs file in that folder?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by wimpy on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Post a copy of your menu.1st file, which should be in your /boot/grub directory and someone will tell you how to fix it.

wimpy

#3 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the reply and the pointer to menu.lst. There is nothing on there appertaining to wary, so it seemed that the only possibility could be initrd.gz and vmlinuz. The ones on the HD boot sector seemed to have the same sizes as those on the stick and were different from those on the CD. I renamed the ones on the HD and copied the files from the CD to the boot folder of the HD. At this stage its not looking too bad.
UPDATE It's now booting off the HD and is essentially the same as my previous CD and stick system, except that poweroff is a lot quicker now. Thanks again for the info. I'll mark this as solved
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal