MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
puppyluvr

#211 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@smokey01,
Yea, I tried to include code for Thunar, and it does function on my Xfce4 desktop.. Lately I have not been able to D/L so have not tried Saluki since like the first version.. :oops:
Is it Xfce? How does it fail in Thunar for you? Mount point errors?..
I use it in Compiz and Xfce4 (4.6.2)...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

smokey01

#212 Post by smokey01 »

It doesn't open the Thunar window to symlink the files.

If the window is open separately the symlinks can be created.

Later when the files are copied all the windows open but they do not close.

It does create the the ISO however, just a bit untidy.
puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
@smokey01,
Yea, I tried to include code for Thunar, and it does function on my Xfce4 desktop.. Lately I have not been able to D/L so have not tried Saluki since like the first version.. :oops:

gcmartin

#213 Post by gcmartin »

smokey01 wrote:It doesn't open the Thunar window to symlink the files.

If the window is open separately the symlinks can be created.

Later when the files are copied all the windows open but they do not close.

It does create the the ISO however, just a bit untidy.
puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
@smokey01,
Does this problem with Salukii have anything to do with the A-drive+Z-Drive+SFSfs that it is architected to use?

Also, I did have a problem with LightHouse64. I think its because of the compression method used in its initrd file.

Thanks in advance.
P.S. Was this updated beyond 3.3 recently?

gcmartin

#214 Post by gcmartin »

Multi-PUP upgrade? or same.

Reasons:
  • FATDOG 600 testing version (current development)
  • LightHouse64 5.14 version (December 2011)
  • Saluki 20+
Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

benny7440

#215 Post by benny7440 »

I don't know if it's better to open a new thread or post the following in here, so I'm posting here but tell me if I should edit/move it away.

Many months ago I d/l Multipup 3.3PET & created a prototype of what I wanted but never burnt it because the notebook has screen problems & I suspected that it was going to be like working underwater at night, been blind.

Also, I was concerned with including there an alien (DSL, in my case) because in this notebook it's not booting from a Flash usb drive, but it boots on others.

Now I'm considering booting up an HP Compaq nx9010 via lan using PXE & this notebook as the webserver. Although I've tried it many times already, with different tweaks it never pass the point of loading the initrd.gz file.

So, I've d/l & installed PL528.005 (which I'm running now) frugally in the VAIO notebook. Was about to burn the iso for PL431 to a cd-rw to test the nx9010's ability to boot from cd (which in the past has been OK with PL431 & Ubuntu 8.04) but not recently & suddenly remembered that the Multipup thing never was finished. I'm decided to throw a stone trying to hit 2 birds with it: create (burn a cd with some puppies in it, including, if possible DSL as an alien) the Mutlipup cd & then use it to try again the PXE booting thing.

What do I have to do with the pet file I already have (in fact, have 2 files in the temporary folder: the pet & a gui file)? I d/l & installed it when working in PL528, so here in PL528.005 I don't have a Menu entry for it. I suspect that I've to run the PET file again for this, am I right? Is there, somewhere, a newer version of Multipup? I've browsed the thread again but didn't find any link to a new version of it.

Thanks for any help & hope this work with the PXE thing!

Edit: I was browsing my hdd & found out that I've the iso files for some puppies but I'm missing 2: Puppy Studio & DSL. What is your recommendation for me, to redownload them or there is a way of taking the files within each respective folder to make the iso from what I have?
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

gcmartin

#216 Post by gcmartin »

benny7440 wrote: ... the Mutlipup cd & then use it to try again the PXE booting thing.

What do I have to do with the pet file I already have (in fact, have 2 files in the temporary folder: the pet & a gui file)? I d/l & installed it when working in PL528, so here in PL528.005 I don't have a Menu entry for it. I suspect that I've to run the PET file again for this, am I right? Is there, somewhere, a newer version of Multipup? I've browsed the thread again but didn't find any link to a new version of it.

Thanks for any help & hope this work with the PXE thing ...
@Benny7440, there is a thread and a document that address just what you ask. Look at this document for Booting PUPs as well as booting Multi-PUPs ISOs.

Should solve your problem. The Document you can download as a PDF for your local use.

Hope this helps

benny7440

#217 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding, gcmartin!

I've read & followed all those recomendations a couple of times already but, even though there's mentioned 'puppies' & I'm using PL528.005 in the VAIO notebook (Net-server) - see signature, the Compaq-HP nx9010 laptop (Client) never finishes loading the initrd.gz file.

As a consequence of that I'm considering trying the Multipup approach, if it doesn't netboot the HP but can boot from the cdrom I've at least killed one bird. As of right now I'm going to work in creating that iso file for MultiPup even though I've some doubts around how to proceed with respect to DSL (alien),

PS. I think last week I PM you, gcmartin, in relation to the PXE approach.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

benny7440

#218 Post by benny7440 »

Edit: Sorry, I don't know how the previous post got posted twice in a row. It was located right here & I deleted it after re-reading it & making sure it was a carbon-copy of the original.
Last edited by benny7440 on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
[/b]

puppyluvr

#219 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
As far as DSL is concerned, MultiPup is fine with Knoppix variants as long as it is just 1 @ a time.. Like series 1 Pups, their .gz must be top layer. However, they all share the same name..
The PXE thing is all gcmartin`s...
I am amazed and impressed, but know nada about it..

Sorry for the lack of timely responses, but life etc.....

I do intend to update MultiPup, and will be removing the "Alien" section, as it seems pointless...

Mb to Mb, Puppy is in a league of its own, the other "minimal" Distros dont warrant inclusion in a "MultiPup Disk".. It is, after all, MultiPUP........
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

benny7440

#220 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding puppyluvr!

In your 1st paragraph you mention 2 things that creates for me 2 questions:
1) Do you mean that just 1 alien OS for MultiPup cd?
2) What's behind that assertion of "Like series 1 Pups, their .gz must be top layer. However, they all share the same name.."?

Is the last issue mean the location of the .gz file within the folder?

In any case, I'm proceeding now to try to make a MultiPup cd for testing it later. I hope I can see the splash screen when the time comes in my external monitor because the onboard one isn't working..., if I have problems with this I'll test on another(s) machine.

VERY GOOD WORK this MultiPup CD Creator, congratulations!
[/b]

gcmartin

#221 Post by gcmartin »

@Benny7440, thanks for your comments.

I have a request of you, if you don't mind. Would you post your steps that you used on this thread, please.
Reason: It may be generally applicable to others (even though others have not had this specific problem)

What would be helpful to understand which of the 3 methods in the manual you followed; namely Basic or BootMenu'd or MultiPup (if you used the guide you know which one by the Table of Contents.)

One items that everyone gets when they start Netboot is that when it is started from the Menu>Network>Netboot Server YOU are asked whether you want Normal OR Debug start. "Choose Debug".

Go to your PXE PC (laptop) and boot it. When it stops, as you say, there will be messages on the Netboot server's window on what occurred up to that point.. Post that on the thread.

Next, I have to ask, have you tried to do this from ANY OTHER PC ON YOUR LAN? (I've got a funny feeling it worked.)

Lastly, there has ONLY been one other occasion where a PC would not boot. I have an older PowerSpec PC with an original P4 which stops about mid-way thru PXE boot. I have since found that a BIOS update solves that issue. (You may not be able to find an update to your laptop though) In rhis case, you must agree that the problem is not the ISO or the Netboot server, but the PXE PC itself!

In any event, even though PupyLuvr may not have tried Netbooting a MultiPUP, it has and does work from Netboot and the Guide is accurate (as far as I know).

Lastly, you or anyone can comment on anything in that guide right in the guide itself, should you choose. Its been viewed and downloaded over 1000 times since Jamesbond developed the tools for Netbooting.

When commenting there, be as complete with details as you can. Any information you share might help us pinpoint the problem.

Hope you can be a help to the rest of us.

Thanks in advance

benny7440

#222 Post by benny7440 »

I first read some threads in this & other forums/websites about PXE booting. After thinking about it for not too long decided to try the ready BIOS included feature in this HP-Compaq nx9010 notebook.

I went back to the googledoc you prepared, d/l DNSMASQ (almost sure it was the 32-bits version, even though it was to be run in the 64-bits VAIO; tried checking this by comparing the links in the googledoc with my FF d/l history but had a reference to google in the googledoc link, so it was 'impossible' to verify this) & the netboot script files; installed & ran the 'mknetboot.sh' script. I opened a shell & ran the script from there, now I'm going to repeat the process by using instruction 4.b because I started Netboot -Server & it gave me the message: "Could not find kernel image: vmlinuz" which I suspect that it resulted in a non-persistent folder/files the last time I ran the script. Probably, I had to move the directory/file(s) outside to another location for that to be persistent... At the momemt of running I didn't ticked any of the 2 alternatives on the screen (running as 'root' & 'terminal emulation', I guess I'm remembering it right). It finished without any indication of an error.

Until now I followed the Basic method as per googledoc. I'd noticed the Debug Tab there but didn't use it, yet. Now, I'm preparing to give this a try with that feature selected, after I gather its output data I'll include that below (probably at the end of the post).

I haven't tried this with any other pc yet nor at any other network. This thing of updating the BIOS comes again & again, I've read that it might go horribly wrong, rendering the machine useless; in percentage (%), how risky is this?

I don't have any doubt as to the accuracy of your assertion of MultiPup booting up from/within PXE, in fact, I'm in the process of trying that, next.

Is the Edit button on top of the googledoc to be used for adding any comments to it?

Thank you again, gcmartin, for both: your help with this issue &, especially, for all the good work you have done within the forum!

The output of the screen is included below:

"dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 DNS disabled
dnsmasq: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-I18N DHCP TFTP
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCP, IP range 10.0.0.110 -- 10.0.0.200, lease time 1h
dnsmasq-tftp: TFTP root is /root/tftpboot
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPDISCOVER(eth0) 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPOFFER(eth0) 10.0.0.138 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPREQUEST(eth0) 10.0.0.138 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPACK(eth0) 10.0.0.138 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: error 0 TFTP Aborted received from 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/vmlinuz to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/initrd.gz to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/initrd.gz to 10.0.0.138
"

After this I decided to let it go its way & I saw a series of dots appearing after the last line printed, later it reboot & started it all over again in its own. All this was done while I was/am listening to a webradio station (wqxr) & I'm thinking if this too network intensive procedures shouldn't be performed simultaneously or it shouldn't matter??? I've tried the PXE thing without being streaming but the results were the same. After they finish streaming Mahler's The Titan I'll try it again, EXCLUSIVELY using the lan conn. for this purpose only.

This last trial failed more or less at the same spot as the previous one. I checked line by line the results from this last trial & it's exactly the same as the one posted above. But I learned something that might be useful: in the process before loading the initrd.gz file there's an error. I can't say how to correct the issue or what it really means but maybe you, gcmartin, would know the exact meaning of it.

Edit: I continued reading & performed the suggested edition of the default file adding "PDEV1=rootfs" to line #5 that included APPEND...; the only difference today was that I included the insertion before the last clause in that line while the first time I did it (the other day) was at the end of the line. Preparing to run it again in Debug mode. BTW, I'm trying to boot PL431.

The output of the debugging screen of Netboot - Server follows:

"dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 DNS disabled
"

At first sight (sorry, no line by line comparison now) looks to me the same as the above one.
Last edited by benny7440 on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
[/b]

benny7440

#223 Post by benny7440 »

Yesterday I made a mistake & included in the section for the isos to be included the DSL iso link (absolute linking, not relative; hope this's what was intended here).
Later I found out that there was a space especially for that (which I've forgotten from my first attempt at this many months ago).

How to fix this before proceeding; deleting the link if I can mount the directory where all this was created, deleting the whole directory & start all over again or there's another better way to do this?

Thanks for any help on this!

Edit: Found a button titled reset within the MultiPup cd/dvd creator & pressed on that & started all over again. This time I didn't make the error concerning DSL, OK.

My issue now is, after continuing the process, what it mentions in a tiny screen that opened: "You have chosen to create ...Yes to continue and create Your ISO.
Total size = 63M". Isn't this amount for the size of the iso to be burned ridiculous, especially when you take into account what's going to be contained in the cd: 1) PL431, 2) PL528.005, 3) PuppyStudio3.1 & 4) DSL?

Now I know I need some help to continue this...
[/b]

benny7440

#224 Post by benny7440 »

Think I found a mistake in what I was doing, I installed MultiPup right besides its' pet file; which is located in "/mnt/home/gen_d/ls". That was probably getting me that message of an iso file of just 63M. I checked the size & free space within /mnt directory & it showed that its' size is 6273MB & its' free space is just 1% (or zero).

I then uninstalled MultiPup, deleted the directory it creates besides the pet file & installed anew. When running MultiPup for the first time I choose to use sda3 partition (ext3) which is about 1.7GB (all free space).

It worked better but still I found something curious, the small screen that appears as a final sanity check before creating the iso image shows that its size is just 283 M.

Am I missing something here? Am I suppose to see what the referred iso files add up to (clearly more than 600MB)?

Thanks for any tips on this!
[/b]

gcmartin

#225 Post by gcmartin »

Hi

I'm sorry ofr the delay. I grabbed the Puppy Linux 5.28-005. To get a version that I had tested before, I used Playdays's Plus-Libre edition as this more nearly matches what I have found works without Office issues that I have with the Abiword+products.

This is what I did:
  1. downloaded the ISO
  2. ran mknetboot.sh
  3. started Netboot server and selected debug mode
At my laptop, I started it and it booted without ANY issues. In part 2 of the document, I did the same thing and it too worked...stopping at the boot-menu. And, to be consistent, in part 3 of the document, I ran MultiPUP. to have it make an ISO. Following same instructions in doc, I ran the mkmulti and booted the laptop across the LAN for the 3rd time without issues.

I have had NO problems, but, I can see that something is wrong with your MultiPUP and maybe the steps you are taking.

Question for @Benny7440
  • Would you mind taking a moment and just Download&Setup the same PL528-005 ISO I used sucessfully to see if you're getting a PXE build problem, please? Insure that the md5 checksum is accurate when you download.
I am curious as where this service is breaking down. (Also, would like to include this problem in the Troubleshooting portion of the Guide.) If it happens that it fails again on transfer, I am inclined to look at your laptop for something wrong. Regardless of what the outcome is, please post your what you see in the debug screen as this matches success/failure of OS transfer to the PXE PC.

P.S. Also, please try this with any other PC you may have on your LAN to see if this problem is isolated to your laptop.

Question for @PupyLuvr
  • @PupyLuvr, have you ever had any troubles that you can share in having a PXE boot a MultiPUP ISO?
I ask becasue I've never seen a response from you since we set this up for MultiPUP use last year wven though others have found it to work without issue.

Hope this helps

benny7440

#226 Post by benny7440 »

I d/l the recommended iso file, md5sum checked OK, ran the script, started Netboot - Server & started the HP. It got farther along its way but printed the following message on screen:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,12) 566KB free base memory after PXE unload
gPXE initializing devices...
"

This's a big iso file & this lappy just has 512MB of RAM. Do you have an idea why PL431 isn't working in my case? :?:

The output for the first 2 trials (first one from Power On, the second one after letting it restart on itself) of PXE follows:

dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 DNS disabled
dnsmasq-tftp: failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/initrd.gz to 10.0.0.138

Now I'm trying it after editing the default.cfg file with PDEV1=rootfs.

dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 DNS disabled

This last output was obtained exactly as the previous one & a kernel panic message followed, too.

Edit: After starting to try MultiPup have noticed that my memory icon in the taskbar is showing RED. Two questions here: 1) is there something I can delete/move that's been created & not deleted by MultiPup to alleviate this? 2) is it possible that low memory is causing the PXE boot failure?
Last edited by benny7440 on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
[/b]

benny7440

#227 Post by benny7440 »

Have no idea why the last post was posted twice but I saw a little bracket saying something about error 110 - server timed out. It warned me of a probable posted message while I was responding & have a look at the thread & make adjustments, as necessary. I decided, after having a look at it, to delete the contents of the duplicate; this's the substitute text.
[/b]

gcmartin

#228 Post by gcmartin »

@PuppyLuvr are you there?

@Benny7440
From what I can tell, you DO NOT HAVE A NETBOOT SERVER PROBLEM. You are hitting a problem at the laptop. Do you have another LAN PC?

You MAY be hitting a memory problem, and I dont have any PCs that have less thatn 1GB.

But, I am wondering if you have ANY other PCs on your LAN that you can merely shutdown for a temporary test. Let's assume you have another PC on your LAN, would you PXE boot it to see if you get the same results.

The distro I used might be a little heavier that the normal PL528-005, but it has worked without any issues, so, you could also try the original PL528-005 of April (this works just as well as the one I showed as tested).

Post back here what you see

benny7440

#229 Post by benny7440 »

I decided to delete some files (/mnt+etc.) & move some big ones out of the partition I'm using & augmented somewhat my 'personal storage fle'; then rebooted.

I ran MultiPup again after resetting to see if something changed. It showed me that the iso image was to be about 666 MB, but at the final screen it showed me it was going to be 288 MB.

I wish I understood more about this!

Edit: I'm in a rush now, so I have to shutdown & deal with this later on.

Thanks for everything!
[/b]

jamesbond

#230 Post by jamesbond »

benny7440 wrote:This's a big iso file & this lappy just has 512MB of RAM. Do you have an idea why PL431 isn't working in my case? :?:
Make sure you have enough space in your /tmp directory (run df -h from terminal) in your netboot-server OS.
For puppy 4.3.1, mknetboot.sh needs at least 250MB there.
Check the size of the /tmp/netboot/initrd.gz after you run mknetboot.sh. It has to around 102MB. Anything less and you've got an incomplete initrd.gz
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]