MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
benny7440

#226 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding, gcmartin!

I d/l the recommended iso file, md5sum checked OK, ran the script, started Netboot - Server & started the HP. It got farther along its way but printed the following message on screen:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,12) 566KB free base memory after PXE unload
gPXE initializing devices...
"

This's a big iso file & this lappy just has 512MB of RAM. Do you have an idea why PL431 isn't working in my case? :?:

The output for the first 2 trials (first one from Power On, the second one after letting it restart on itself) of PXE follows:

dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 DNS disabled
dnsmasq: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-I18N DHCP TFTP
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCP, IP range 10.0.0.110 -- 10.0.0.200, lease time 1h
dnsmasq-tftp: TFTP root is /root/tftpboot
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPDISCOVER(eth0) 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPOFFER(eth0) 10.0.0.138 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPREQUEST(eth0) 10.0.0.138 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCPACK(eth0) 10.0.0.138 00:0d:9d:5d:b3:66
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: error 0 TFTP Aborted received from 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/vmlinuz to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: sent /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/initrd.gz to 10.0.0.138
dnsmasq-tftp: failed sending /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/initrd.gz to 10.0.0.138

Now I'm trying it after editing the default.cfg file with PDEV1=rootfs.

dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 DNS disabled
dnsmasq: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-I18N DHCP TFTP
dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCP, IP range 10.0.0.110 -- 10.0.0.200, lease time 1h
dnsmasq-tftp: TFTP root is /root/tftpboot

This last output was obtained exactly as the previous one & a kernel panic message followed, too.

Edit: After starting to try MultiPup have noticed that my memory icon in the taskbar is showing RED. Two questions here: 1) is there something I can delete/move that's been created & not deleted by MultiPup to alleviate this? 2) is it possible that low memory is causing the PXE boot failure?
Last edited by benny7440 on Fri 08 Jun 2012, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

benny7440

#227 Post by benny7440 »

Have no idea why the last post was posted twice but I saw a little bracket saying something about error 110 - server timed out. It warned me of a probable posted message while I was responding & have a look at the thread & make adjustments, as necessary. I decided, after having a look at it, to delete the contents of the duplicate; this's the substitute text.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

gcmartin

#228 Post by gcmartin »

@PuppyLuvr are you there?

@Benny7440
From what I can tell, you DO NOT HAVE A NETBOOT SERVER PROBLEM. You are hitting a problem at the laptop. Do you have another LAN PC?

You MAY be hitting a memory problem, and I dont have any PCs that have less thatn 1GB.

But, I am wondering if you have ANY other PCs on your LAN that you can merely shutdown for a temporary test. Let's assume you have another PC on your LAN, would you PXE boot it to see if you get the same results.

The distro I used might be a little heavier that the normal PL528-005, but it has worked without any issues, so, you could also try the original PL528-005 of April (this works just as well as the one I showed as tested).

Post back here what you see

benny7440

#229 Post by benny7440 »

I decided to delete some files (/mnt+etc.) & move some big ones out of the partition I'm using & augmented somewhat my 'personal storage fle'; then rebooted.

I ran MultiPup again after resetting to see if something changed. It showed me that the iso image was to be about 666 MB, but at the final screen it showed me it was going to be 288 MB.

I wish I understood more about this!

Edit: I'm in a rush now, so I have to shutdown & deal with this later on.

Thanks for everything!
[/b]

jamesbond

#230 Post by jamesbond »

benny7440 wrote:This's a big iso file & this lappy just has 512MB of RAM. Do you have an idea why PL431 isn't working in my case? :?:
Make sure you have enough space in your /tmp directory (run df -h from terminal) in your netboot-server OS.
For puppy 4.3.1, mknetboot.sh needs at least 250MB there.
Check the size of the /tmp/netboot/initrd.gz after you run mknetboot.sh. It has to around 102MB. Anything less and you've got an incomplete initrd.gz
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

benny7440

#231 Post by benny7440 »

To gcmartin: I'm going to try to PXE boot a desktop that's lying besides me in this afternoon. No promise it could boot via lan, I'm not sure what bios it has. In any case I'll post anything about it afterwards. Thanks!

To jamesbond: At this posting moment I can't do what you ask me to do because I did what I've posted below before reading anything today & don't want to delete everything to start all over again. Not surprising, it appears that that's precisely what I must do later on (see below in italics) because my memory isn't enough for creating an iiso image with MultiPup.

I've moved outside the mounted partition (root) everything iso. Augmented with this my memory a lot, nonetheless, after running MultiPup again & right before making the image I checked the sizes & noticed the following:
1) When checking the iso file size by pressing on 5th button, counting from the top on MultiPup main screen, it shows 615M from standard isos & 51M from Alien (DSL);
2) When pressing the 6th button on the same screen (Click to create your iso image) it reports that the total size is 538M (a substantial decrease in size);
3) I checked the taskbar icon for memory availability before creating the image & it again is showing a slab in red but after clicking on it shows 780M;

I really can't make sense of what I'm experiencing with this MultiPup thing!

Note: The version I'm using for the DSL isn't the one I see in one of the MultiPup screens, I''m using dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso. Could this make such a huge diference in the outcome?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: What exactly the button saying 'Create a MultiPup PET' do?
[/b]

gcmartin

#232 Post by gcmartin »

Benny7440

Frist
What JamesBond is expressing is a concern that the mknetboot.sh command ended with an error. Did you notice an error when you ran this command? Could you run it again and send the results that you see in the terminal window?

ALSO
On your NETBOOT Server (not the PXE PC), open a terminal and send the results of the following command

Code: Select all

# free
Thanks in advance

benny7440

#233 Post by benny7440 »

I didn't mention this before because I considered it Not Important, but I remembered something in the signature of one moderator that said "sometimes what the person asking isn't telling us is the clue to answer the question".

The first time I ran MultiPUP I used the Menu>Utility entry but it never worked again, it's there but no results after clicking on it. The way I'm starting the application now is by clicking on the icon that appears in / (root).

The DSL version I'm linking isn't equal to the one advised in MultiPup. After absolute-linking DSL it reports failing to 'mount/unmount' dsl.

Is any of what I've said can cause a deviation from what's expected as a good result?

Thanks for any help on this!
[/b]

gcmartin

#234 Post by gcmartin »

benny7440 wrote:I didn't mention this before because I considered it Not Important, but ... The DSL version I'm linking isn't equal to the one advised in MultiPup. ...
In trying to help, I see that I am missing what you are really trying to do.

So, even though I have given some solid advice on use of Netboot for booting a Puppy ISO, that does seem to be your aim.

I defer this back to the OP for assistance with your efforts.

Here to help

puppyluvr

#235 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
OK, as I said, I know nada about Net booting, with or without MultiPup!!
So I can address the MultiPup questions with confidence.. The rest....
However, I see in the error msgs that it is creating files in /root/tfpt/
This could explain your savefile issue..
I also notice that although it mentions vmlinuz and initrd.gz, it does not mention the main .sfs file.. I do not know the signifigance of that...
The original menu entry for MultiPup is an installer, to prevent running from within the savefile, explain why, and assist (hopefully) in choosing an acceptable install location.
The "Create MultiPup Pet" does the same thing, and may correct your menu issue, just follow directions.. You should not have an executable in /root... MultiPup should install to /usr/local/bin/multipup.... The menu entry should, after a correct install, point there...

As I said, I only know the MultiPup side of the situation...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyluvr

#236 Post by puppyluvr »

Well, I went back over MultiPup with a mind to update it, so make it more "universal"...
Things to contend with:

:?: Stupid Thunar.. (oops, sorry Thunar guys..)
See, MultuPup was/is a RoxApp.. Since it calls Rox for its windows, it has to separately call Thunar, and its functionality is different, and it is a thorn in my side.. Funny thing is I run an Xfce4 desktop in Lupen, but it calls Rox by default.. Does Saluki have no Rox? Or does it, by default, call Thunar??

:?: USB...
I use legacy Grub.. Ive never used anything else...
Works great for multi menu layering in CD`s and DVD`s..
USB has "pupmode" stuff to deal with as well..

:mrgreen: Aliens..
Too much for too little...
Aint worth the trouble...
Too many, to much disparity...

So I am looking at all my "spaghetti monster" code going wow.. Could be a bit more direct, ya think.. LOL I learned as I went along.. But it works, well.. and fast... And it meets the size limits for posting here! That was the hurdle supreme.. Small, efficient, effective.. All script, all built-ins used where possible.. 8)
I cant believe I wrote all that.. :shock:
Catdudes part is so much cleaner... :roll:

Comments, suggestions, derision are welcome.. :idea:
Look folks, I am no "coder"..
This was a mission, an adventure, a request granted.. :)
A labor of love... :wink:
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

puppyluvr

#237 Post by puppyluvr »

Double post...
:wink:
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

benny7440

#238 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks gcmartin & puppyluvr for responding!

To gcmartin first: After reading your last post I had the feeling that here's a misunderstanding in relation to what I'm trying to do. I was trying at the beginning to boot up that HP with a puppy OS, since for some still unknown reason my live cd wasn't functioning & after learning something about PXE I wanted to try it because then I might be able to go around making a boot floopy to help booting up the cd iso.

My ultimate goal was to move a big file from a partition that was showing it was READ-ONLY (it's located in the VAIO hdd) but this issue is now resolved by other means. Still, since I've invested so much time & effort trying to PXE-boot the HP with a Puppy iso from the VAIO I want to keep trying. In fact, today I tried the desktop but it didn't show signs of life (last 2 times I booted it up was using the Flash pendrive containg DSL but in both consecutive trials, once it finished booting up it shutdown: NOT REBOOT). My alternatives keep decreasing but I'll try to open, clean it if necessary, reseat the rams, possibly the cpu & check the different P/S outputs before another attempt. Guess I've another hopefully still working P/S from an old Gateway desktop & probably another older than than that. In the end, having many P/Ss is good but not useful if it isn't the problem in the first place.

I'll try my best to try to PXE boot that desktop from the VAIO using the PL431 iso, BIOS permitting.

To puppyluvr: I'm now proceeding to uninstall/install MultiPup outside root & run it again. I installed it at the location you suggested, now the icon in the Menu>Utility does nothing & the icon at /usr/local is doing the same thing: nada. I can't locate any other icon in the desktop or anywhere to start the application.

Need to close operations for now (probably for the rest of the day). My intentions at the moment are to uninstall it again & reinstall it & recheck. After that I'll post any news, good or bad.
[/b]

gcmartin

Post ended as a thread is NOW correctly placed.

#239 Post by gcmartin »

@PuppyLuvr

Issues when using current version of MultiPup to create an ISO of 3 versions of Puppy SLACKO: namely Slacko, SlackoPAE, and FATSlacko.

MultiPUP shows no sign of any errors that it encounters, but, the ISO will NOT boot any of the SLACKOs!

Reason:
The INITRDs that MultiPUP creates for each distro points to a non-existent images.gz

Code: Select all

title FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI Use Savefile
root (cd)
kernel (cd)/FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=ask
initrd (cd)/FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI/image.gz

title FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI Normal boot
root (cd)
kernel (cd)/FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0  PFILE=pup001-none-65536

title FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI Run in ram
root (cd)
kernel (cd)/FATSlacko-5.3.3x-SCSI/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=no

title Return to Main Menu
configfile (cd)/boot/grub/menu.lst
Would someoene verify this and offer a remedy.

Additionally
I am not sure if MultiPUP is equiped to handle the following Puppy derivatives, either:
  • Barry's 4 derivatives for x86 PCs (Wary/Racy?Drake/Precise)
  • FATDOG600
  • LightHoue64
  • along with Slacko
Here to help

smokey01

#240 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin, try Multipup-3.3-Hacked from here.
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... Hacked.pet

It works on Fatdog64 but you do need to change cpio to get the bootsplash working. You also need to remove the .gz from initrd.gz in the menu.lst file.
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... o-2.11.pet
This is the full version, not the cutdown BusyBox version.

It also works on Slacko, Exprimo and Saluki, if you install Rox.

Here is a quick and dirty video to show you how to use it.
http://www.smokey01.com/videos/Multipup.mp4

Pete22

Want to use Multipup

#241 Post by Pete22 »

Hello puppy friends:

I want to use multipup. I am not a die hard geek. So I have some questions.
Is this still very experimental or is it more stable now?

The changes that are suggested for the pet for Fatdog by smokey 01,
do those still need to be done? Or has that been fixed by making the pet in fatdog?

<You also need to remove the .gz from initrd.gz in the menu.lst file. >
It needs to be changed to initrd.xz correct?

I do not know how to <change cpio to get the bootsplash working >
Can someone tell me how to do this?

I would like to use lighthouse. Would I add it when it wants the fatdog link?

I assume that I can create frugal installs from the dvd to a hard drive
and then use grub4dos to load them. Is that correct?

Pets and sfs; How do you keep the x32 and x64 separate in the mnt/home
file so they can be used by more than one iso. Or is that done by multipup?
That was not covered by the video.

Anything special I need to know about the savefiles?

Pete

smokey01

#242 Post by smokey01 »

Pete,

The Fatdog version on my site works quite well.
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 64-4.2.pet

The changes that are suggested for the pet for Fatdog by smokey 01,
do those still need to be done? Or has that been fixed by making the pet in fatdog?

Most, if not all of those fixes have been applied.

<You also need to remove the .gz from initrd.gz in the menu.lst file. >
It needs to be changed to initrd.xz correct?

No, Multipup will do this for you when you select the Fatdog option.

I'm pretty sure I have included cpio in the package so it will build the image file properly. Most puppies only have the cut down version of cpio.

I would like to use lighthouse. Would I add it when it wants the fatdog link?
No, use Series 3,4&5.

I assume that I can create frugal installs from the dvd to a hard drive
and then use grub4dos to load them. Is that correct?

Yes

Pets and sfs; How do you keep the x32 and x64 separate in the mnt/home file so they can be used by more than one iso. Or is that done by multipup? That was not covered by the video.

This just allows you to put them on the DVD for convenience. They have to be installed/loaded separately. Once you have written a bootable ISO you can't normally, well not easily, add any additional files. This method gives you that opportunity.

Anything special I need to know about the savefiles?
I wouldn't recommend creating savefiles on the DVD, although it's possible. The latest Fatdog-620b allows you to save to a directory instead of using a savefile, very nice.

I will have to review the help video as I made it quite a while ago.

Let us know how you got on.

smokey01

MultiPup-5.0

#243 Post by smokey01 »

CatDude and I have just released MultiPup-5.0
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... up-5.0.pet

There have been some serious modifications which include:

A cleaner less cluttered look.
All command buttons on the one GUI.
Will accommodate Fatdog and Lighthouse pups.
Will work with Carolina if you install Rox. Symlinking is a pain though.
New online and video help.
It works on both 32 and 64-bit OS

Fatdog users will probably have to install a full CPIO from:
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 1-fd64.pet
The CPIO is used to make the bootsplashes.
Attachments
04-08-2013_10-45-35.png
The new look MultiPup-5.0
(73.56 KiB) Downloaded 1133 times

ASRI éducation

Re: MultiPup-5.0

#244 Post by ASRI éducation »

smokey01 wrote:CatDude and I have just released MultiPup-5.0
Thank you both.
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

greengeek

#245 Post by greengeek »

Does this version contain fatdog in its name because it is intended to be capable of adding fatdog to the multi CD, or does it have that name because it is only able to be installed on fatdog? (I cannot get it to install on my Slacko53 system). Thanks.

ps: couldn't get it to display any help screen either.

EDIT : Looks like it did actually install...for some reason it did not seem to accept my initial choice of folder, and only continued with the install after I clicked the EXIT button. Anyway, I shall continue with testing... (hoping it doesnt grab /root as the working directory...)