MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
smokey01

#301 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin wrote:In r21, the announcement screen is popping under the main GUI screen on restart of the MultiPUP app after creating, say, an ISO in a prior use. Thus, many users will miss that announcement. being that it is hidden from view.

Would the design allow it to pop at an offset to the left of the GUI or on top of it?
It doesn't happen here and shouldn't. See attached.

Maybe you have the app that it's hiding behind set to always on top.
Attachments
message.png
(35.07 KiB) Downloaded 522 times

smokey01

#302 Post by smokey01 »

Jasper wrote:Hi smokey01,

Yes and yes and using r 21 I can't try anything because:
Let me guess, you are running r20 on an ext* or ntfs file system and r21 on a non linux or ntfs file system.

Fat16, Fat32 and vfat doesn't work with symlinks so it will break Multipup. For this reason we tested to see what system is being used. If it's not Linux or ntfs then it quits.
If CatDude cannot interpret my thoughts I can try to explain more clearly; also BigPup is a good interpreter although MochiMoppel is another star with excellent English and an extensive technical knowledge of computers and their associated terminology - and whilst he is rarely impressed with my attempted explanations - he manages reasonably well.
Don't worry I am married to a Scots/Irish woman so I can understand most things but when discussing software the explanation has to be very clear and specific. My crystal ball no longer works as well as it used to.
Do you really think that would happen?

Devs tend to be clever, charming and helpful

so emphatically - yes.
I'm glad you used the word tend and not always :lol:
Last edited by smokey01 on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.

smokey

#303 Post by smokey »

Jasper

#304 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

You are right that r 20 was run from a mounted ext4 HDD partition, but I ran r 21 from my download folder which I'm 99.99% certain is in ram.

Wine and many Windows progs (perhaps reported as on Drive (z:)) are located on a flash stick partition which (like my HDD) is formatted as ext4.

My technical comprehension is pitiful, but I think the second part of your guess is highly unlikely to be right; however, I suggest we ignore my experience unless and until anyone sees a near replication.

My regards

gcmartin

#305 Post by gcmartin »

Concluded testing of a USB HDD. Everything works same as it does and would from a USB flash storage drive. In fact, excepting for CD/DVD/BluRay, it appears that MultiPUP will load the USB image to either USB storage or to any internal or external storage.Thus, no user should see this as limited to just USB storage but useful for any storage media that the PC can boot. (I do understand your support statement made earlier...clearly!)

Questions
So, I ask:
  • Is the USB writer creating an image then writing, or is it writing direct to the storage media?
  • When you comment that the MultiPUP GUI is set to always on top, what are you referring? Do I somehow have control over the GUI placement when the MultiPUP app starts to the desktop? (I may be missing what you refer, please help).
Thanks again for all the work and explanations you have provided over the years in helping all of us.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 21 Sep 2015, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#306 Post by smokey01 »

Jasper wrote: My technical comprehension is pitiful, but I think the second part of your guess is highly unlikely to be right; however, I suggest we ignore my experience unless and until anyone sees a near replication.

My regards
Jasper extract r21 to a ext* or ntfs partition and see if it works.

If not please let me know.

Thanks

gcmartin

#307 Post by gcmartin »

I have run into a problem with an attempt to both install and use from a LAN NAS (Linux). i suspect the links may be the culprit. Not much investigation done, though.

smokey01

#308 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin wrote:Concluded testing of a USB HDD. Everything works same as it does and would from a flash storage drive.
What size USB HDD did you use?
When you comment that the MultiPUP GUI is set to always on top, what are you referring? Do I somehow have control over the GUI placement when the MultiPUP app starts to the desktop? (I may be missing what you refer, please help).
When you open an app, lets say Multipup, it will have a title bar. Right click on the title bar and you should be presented with a menu. You can select Layer, then select Always on top. Multipup will always sit on top of other GUI and apps. This behaviour may different between Window Managers.

smokey01

#309 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin

#310 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks.
Smokey01 wrote:What size USB HDD did you use?
The current test was done on an old USB 2.0 enclosure which has an IDE controller and drive. I also tested MultiPUP with a USB 2.0 drive which has SATA controller and drive and got the same results.

The drive size does not matter as the same I/O protocols are used to write I/O over those channels to the USB storage ... without discrimination.

I asked earlier about the method of staging when creating the USB media:
  • Does MultiPUP create a boot img, then write it or does it just move file-folders to the storage unit?
I think you can perceive why I ask.

smokey01

#311 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks.
Smokey01 wrote:What size USB HDD did you use?
The current test was done on an old USB 2.0 enclosure which has an IDE controller and drive. I also tested MultiPUP with a USB 2.0 drive which has SATA controller and drive and got the same results.

The drive size does not matter as the same I/O protocols are used to write I/O over those channels to the USB storage ... without discrimination.
I was interested in the time it took so size does matter.
I asked earlier about the method of staging when creating the USB media:
  • Does MultiPUP create a boot img, then write it or does it just move file-folders to the storage unit?
When MultiPup makes the USB Flash drive it simply copies the files from a directory inside MultiPup called mpsource. No img is created and no children or animals are hurt in the process.
I think you can perceive why I ask
Sorry, but I often fail to understand your writings as you don't talk goodenuf stralian.

Thanks

jamesbond

#312 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 - three feedbacks, two showstoppers
---
1. I run Multipup on /tmp - which is tmpfs, so I get the message that it is not Linux filesystem. This can easily be remedied by adding "tmpfs" to list of supported filesystems in line 35 of MultipupGui
2. the resulting ISO cannot boot - because the menu it creates always attempts to load "image.gz"
3. even if I manually edit (at boot time, using grub's editing feature) to rename image.gz to initrd.gz, in the end (in case of slacko) I still get the message of "cannot find slacko.sfs".

The last two are common problems, so I am sure they have been fixed before. There may be something odd in my test bed that causes it to behave that way.

My test bed is fatdog:
- run inside sandbox.sh
- 32bit lib preloaded before sandbox is started
- full cpio is installed inside sandbox
- I tested with fatdog.iso and slacko-5.9.3.iso (I make sure that both of these are accessible from inside sandbox)

Steps that I followed:
- cd to the folder where Multipup is extracted (in /tmp)
- launch it by running ./AppRun from terminal
- Click the blue disc icon to choose ISO (created absolute symlink from the source iso. CD/DVD target chosen.
- Click the "bootsplash" icon and choose graphic
- Click the create CD/DVD icon

The resulting ISO is booted in qemu with 2GB RAM with no virtual harddisk.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#313 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond wrote: 2. the resulting ISO cannot boot - because the menu it creates always attempts to load "image.gz"
I don't think I've noticed that before. What revision are you running 6.0 r22?
jamesbond wrote: 3. even if I manually edit (at boot time, using grub's editing feature) to rename image.gz to initrd.gz, in the end (in case of slacko) I still get the message of "cannot find slacko.sfs".
This is a bit weird too. FD701 works fine here and I think Slacko-5.9.3 worked when I tested it too.

I will check and get back to you.

smokey01

#314 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond, I think the issue must be with Qemu.

If you look inside the ISO and each of the distro directories and have a look at the individual menu.lst you will see initrd for FD701 and initrd.gz for slacko-5.9.3.

They booted fine here.

Cheers

Pelo

MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

#315 Post by Pelo »

MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator :
Links are dead in first post. I hold in my tool case MultiPUP, i hope that is the same product.
No time to translate 21 pages of the topic to my french native language, even no time to read them.
Here we go. I shall see and advise soon
Attachments
multiCD.jpg
My ISO is 600MB big.
(65.01 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

Pelo

PtitPuppy in Virtualmachine

#316 Post by Pelo »

My iso PtitPuppy offers me the multiboot choice. The motorist is satisfied, when the new car works without having to open the hood, without adjusting anything. It would be the paradise, but it is utopian. Nothing is going to take place as betrothed, as on the notice...
I will have to call the technicians, to help out to me, and none speaks french, even in Puppy Facebook forum.
Vlad34 is searching for Multi-pup CD burning method here
Is there a package for that, a package that we could link sur le forum francophone.
Attachments
ptitpuppy.jpg
Mon premier pas est encourageant
(75.11 KiB) Downloaded 894 times

gcmartin

#317 Post by gcmartin »

just tested the current version r22 on TahrPUP32 to create a USB stick from the April64-72 ISO. All went well ending with a bootable USB; tested.

This thread from @ETP might be of some use for MultiPUP. I can foresee a possibility of it creating a USB from an ISO created by MultiPUP without MultiPUP needing to go thru its current steps. (Forgive my naive suggestion)

Thanks for MultiPUP r22.
Edited to correct path to ETP's thread
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.

Jasper

#318 Post by Jasper »

I [that's gcmartin] can foresee a possibility of [it] creating a USB from an ISO created by MultiPUP [without] MultiPUP needing to go thru its current steps.
That's two miracles. Just, detail everything exactly as you foresaw it.

gcmartin

#319 Post by gcmartin »

Instead of any attempt at a contribution, we get the usual attempt to derail or sidetrack a thread from you.

Burn_IT

#320 Post by Burn_IT »

I use:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/

or build it yourself based on ideas from Hiren's Boot USB
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett