MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
Pelo

PtitPuppy in Virtualmachine

#316 Post by Pelo »

My iso PtitPuppy offers me the multiboot choice. The motorist is satisfied, when the new car works without having to open the hood, without adjusting anything. It would be the paradise, but it is utopian. Nothing is going to take place as betrothed, as on the notice...
I will have to call the technicians, to help out to me, and none speaks french, even in Puppy Facebook forum.
Vlad34 is searching for Multi-pup CD burning method here
Is there a package for that, a package that we could link sur le forum francophone.
Attachments
ptitpuppy.jpg
Mon premier pas est encourageant
(75.11 KiB) Downloaded 894 times

gcmartin

#317 Post by gcmartin »

just tested the current version r22 on TahrPUP32 to create a USB stick from the April64-72 ISO. All went well ending with a bootable USB; tested.

This thread from @ETP might be of some use for MultiPUP. I can foresee a possibility of it creating a USB from an ISO created by MultiPUP without MultiPUP needing to go thru its current steps. (Forgive my naive suggestion)

Thanks for MultiPUP r22.
Edited to correct path to ETP's thread
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 14 Oct 2015, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.

Jasper

#318 Post by Jasper »

I [that's gcmartin] can foresee a possibility of [it] creating a USB from an ISO created by MultiPUP [without] MultiPUP needing to go thru its current steps.
That's two miracles. Just, detail everything exactly as you foresaw it.

gcmartin

#319 Post by gcmartin »

Instead of any attempt at a contribution, we get the usual attempt to derail or sidetrack a thread from you.

Burn_IT

#320 Post by Burn_IT »

I use:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/

or build it yourself based on ideas from Hiren's Boot USB
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

gcmartin

USB will not boot. Hangs immediately at start showing "GRUB"

#321 Post by gcmartin »

Recent issues with booting USB:
Build of USB goes without reported errors from the GUI. But, when trying to boot, I have 2 different USBs, a 2GB (build is 1.6GB to USB) and a 10GB (build is 6.4GB to USB) which boot to "GRUB", text at the top left on the screen at boot time...never reaching the expected menu. Each unit stops requiring a cold boot to boot an alternate media.

The 2GB is a stick with 3 distros built using the recent Slacko64-6074. The other unit was built using a 32bit TahrPUP-602.

2 Questions
  • Ideas of what is wrong that the boot process never gets to its Menu?
  • Should I change something on the USB stick to correct the problem?
Thanks in advance for recommendations

Update - a circumvention
This may not be a MultiPUP resolution, but it does circumvent the problem: Redo the bootmanager (GRUB4DOS).
  • On the USB media, Copy "menu.lst" from /boot/grub/menu.lst to its root (/menu.lst)
  • On any PUP, run Menu>System>GRUB4DOS config to configure the bootmanager for that USB media. See below for My example:
Hope this helps.
Attachments
GRUB4DOS.png
Using the settings in this utility "ixed" the USB allowing it to present the BootManager screen and boot any of its PUPs
(57.05 KiB) Downloaded 748 times

puppyluvr

#322 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Interesting.. :idea:
I was never big on grub4dos, because it has the word DOS in it. :roll:
I want to look at using ISO booter.
I haven't had time to contribute much lately, but I am still watching my baby evolve.
I have tested the new USB enabled versions with limited success.
I have always wanted to see this capability as a part of MultiPup.
When we get this to 100% it'll be a real boost to Puppy.
I created it for CD / DVD because that was the prevalent media at the time.
But that is rapidly changing.
In fact the first response after my first post on this thread was our dear Noobie asking for this functionality!!!
The future beckons......
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

greengeek

#323 Post by greengeek »

puppyluvr wrote:In fact the first response after my first post on this thread was our dear Noobie asking for this functionality!!!
I'm surprised he didnt ask for it to create the files frugally on NTFS :-)
I miss him (and so many others who have ceased posting the last couple of years...)

gcmartin

#324 Post by gcmartin »

"Even children get older
And I'm getting older too" ... Fleetwood Mac, Landslide

gcmartin

#325 Post by gcmartin »

I am sure this issue is already known:
When opening GParted (using Slacko6081) I am getting the following announcement regarding the vfat MultiPUP USB stick
I selected "No".

Further, GParted shows the following about the USB partition.
BUT, ROX has no problem opening it and I can navigate interacting with the partition's contents.

Should we be worried?

Jasper

#326 Post by Jasper »

Updated to revision 22 to prevent installation on vfat and fat32 file systems as they don't support symlinks. It will work on ntfs but use with care.

puppyluvr

#327 Post by puppyluvr »

I originally put an error check in the script to prevent installation to vfat, ntfs, and inside a save file. It needs a return of ext filesystem to continue. Was it removed?
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Jasper

#328 Post by Jasper »

To almost all,

gcmartin wrote:
I asked you [Jasper] to help the community where I wrote: if you have seen the problem, yourself, and know the causes, then express it to the community as it would have general applicability.

Jasper responds:
Yes, as I had already stated, I saw the problem myself and I knew the cause (again as I had already stated) and the solution (which I had already stated and explained above - not once, but twice).

More essentially:
The "problem" was raised by gcmartin, who had used “vfat

gcmartin

#329 Post by gcmartin »

You still dont get it. @Puppyluvr shares in the very first post
After you have unpacked MultiPup, click on it
to open the MultiPup GUI...
If you try to run MultiPup from a non ext2/ext3 filesystem, (ie ntfs/fat)
a warning message will alert you and MultiPup will stop..
Thus, we are talking, AGAIN, about the script's operation. Your trash talking distracts from any solution you "think" you are trying to provide us. Look at your behavior and try understanding. And if you want to genuinely be a help, then be a helper with the community in mind when you offer solutions.

Please try refraining from your obvious behavior and certainly following any post I write.

And, so that you are aware, no one is doing anything behind your back.
Observe him as he continues this.

On another note:
Let move on in this thread. Respectfully, I ask, that we step back and allow the maintainers to assess the issue. There, very well, may not be a problem. But, Puppyluvr has already opened the discussion in a prior post.

puppyluvr

#330 Post by puppyluvr »

This is the code I used, because of symlinking.
It applies to the working directory.

#Check if you are in a Linux filesystem
stat -f -c%T $SCRIPT_DIR> /root/stat
if grep -i !="ext2/ext3" /root/stat
then Xdialog --title "Multipup CD/DVD" --msgbox "You are not in a Linux filesystem." 0 0
exit
else :
fi
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

gcmartin

#331 Post by gcmartin »

This is a question to the MultiPUP devs: I was just observing the layout of latest lx PUP series distro ISOs from @PeeBee. It has zdrv, adrv, fdrv, ydrv, ...

Questions
  • Is MultiPUP designed to accomodate all of these and others, currently?
    Does it properly order the assembly such all are included for boot?
Thanks in advance for your comment

puppyluvr

#332 Post by puppyluvr »

The layering of files takes place long after MultiPups work is over.
Once the kernel and initrd take over, its all on them.
;-)
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

smokey01

#333 Post by smokey01 »

MultiPup once again has been upgraded. Recently I tried to use it on Fatdog64-710 and it didn't work so the investigation began. It turned out to be a missing symlink. Because MultiPup6 uses legacy grub it requires libncurses. The grub binary is actually looking for libncurses.so.5 which doesn't exists in Fatdog64-710. The fix was simply make a symlink called libncurses.so.5 and point it at /lib/libncursesw.so.5.9.

Most pups won't have this issue as they have the libncurses.so.5 lib file or symlink. One exception is tahrpup64. It has libncurses.so.5 but it's 64bit not 32bit which legacy grub requires. Tahrpup64 has lib and lib64 directories but lib64 is symlinked to lib. They really need to be separate.

Anyway while we had the hood up we thought we would have a tinker. In MultiPup6-r22 we introduced the ability to create a MultiPup on USB flash drives. In MultiPup6-r24 we have taken this one step further. Now there is a choice of formatting the USB as Fat32 or Ext2. Adding Ext2 provides a few nice benefits over Fat32. First it's a more robust file system. It allows for much faster write speeds. Writing to a save file on a USB with Fat32 is actually quite slow especially if it's USB2. The other benefit is being able to save to a folder instead of a savefile.

We chose Ext2 rather than Ext3/4 because it doesn't do any journaling. Journaling makes the file system more reliable but it does cause a lot more writes to the USB thus reducing it's life, so the theory goes anyway. Apparently it's possible to use to use Ext4 with journaling turned off. This way you get the speed improvements and the ability to use larger files.
This was an interesting read: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/05/ext2-ext3-ext4

The new MultiPup6-r24 can be downloaded here: http://smokey01.com/software/multipup/M ... r24.tar.gz

A quick overview so you don't have to look back through the forum.

It's a tool to create a collection of Puppy Linux distributions. It will give you a choice to make the collection as an ISO so you can burn it to a CD/DVD or create a bootable USB Flash Drive. It automatically creates a menu and provides a choice of pretty graphics behind the menu system.

It's a stand alone tar.gz file and can be extracted anywhere. I suggest you extract it to a location where you have quite a bit of free disk space. The first time you run it, by clicking on the discs icon, a menu entry will be created under menu item Utility. This menu entry is updated each time you run MultiPup. So keep in mind, if you install it to a drive that's not mounted it won't run.

Symlinking is used rather than copying the distro's to save space on the drive. There's no point having two copies of each distro on a flash drive that may have limited space.

If you are on a 64bit computer a message will pop up advising you may need 32bit libs. The GRUB bootloader needs them. 32bit users should not see the message.

If you are a first time user, click on the help button and follow the steps.

If you choose the USB option the exiting partition/s will be destroyed and a new one created. It will then be formated to either Fat32 or Ext2.

Once the USB drive has been reformatted everything will be gone forever. It's very important to select the correct drive when asked. It would be a terrible thing to delete your main hard drive, so be very careful. Flexibility provides Power and Risks.

puppyluvr

#334 Post by puppyluvr »

Will give it a test! Great to see MultiPup continue to grow!
8)
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Puppyt

#335 Post by Puppyt »

Thank you smokey01, for this great tool - it had totally been off my radar before today. I've jumped most of the thread in my attempts to test multiple pupplets on a CL900 tablet. Probably a rare situation - I can't use the BT keyboard or touchscreen to make selections - the only USB port is used for the drive, no usb keyboard possible. I wonder if there's a simple workaround I could include, if you have any ideas?
The other issue is that I didn't think to prepare either intended host hdd or the USB multipup constructed, with a swap partition. Or a swap file. Any plans perhaps to automate that optional extra as a Multipup feature?
And while I'm thinking about it - are other linux distro's able to be included in the generation of a multi-storied set of distros on CD or USB drive? I'm prolly stretching issues however...
I'm taking the opportunity to give feedback while my first attempt at testing MultiPup r24, with Lighthouse 5.0.3 G with a Mariner SFS (multipup sfs inclusion), without swap anything, sits percolating for an hour after the SFS has copied to the RAM. I don't know what is happening now as the screen is blank, but will wait it out before maybe retesting Multipup with a swap and a single pupplet,
Cheers :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...