CUPS problem - "waiting for localhost"

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
jpeps

#46 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:
There isn't anything fundamentally "weak" or "broken" about CUPS. But if you want to use it in Puppy, you have to recognize the way it works.
I think there's a few more issues going on then permissions in getting cups to work. I never did find a way to get a remaster working with cups, although everything else works. All files look fine, everything is there. No errors, cups doesn't recognize the print job. Tried with and without a pupsave, installing the printer from scratch (which seems to install okay). Print a test file, nothing, no jobs listed*. USB printer is correctly listed as "online", and works okay with original distro.

*EDIT: or "job completed" but no printout; or filter errors for geany.

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

I thought that I would play around with this issue some more. I took the lupu_520.sfs and manually unsquashed it. I then installed the HP printer driver package into the unsquashed file system, along with the files to represent an installed printer. I then resquashed it, leaving all the /var folders empty, like they are in the original sfs.

I then used the new sfs in a fresh Lupu frugal install with no pupsave. The HP printer was recognized and worked properly.

jpeps

#48 Post by jpeps »

Yeah..no problem at all for my networked HP940c either; in fact I can print with my old pupsave. My USB connected HP laserjet Pll02w is a different matter: Here's the listing in cups:

P1102w Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2 (recommended) Idle - "Printer is now online."

Print a test page, and no jobs show even show up. I remastered by simply removing homebank from lupu_520.sfs and resquashing; didn't touch any /var or /etc files.

EDIT: using "lp -d HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102w" I can get an error:
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

Must be driver specific. Strange it works fine on the original distro..Have no idea why the remaster breaks it, though.

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

P1102w Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2 (recommended)
Is this one of the printers that requires the hot-plug firmware download? I wonder if it's not working.

jpeps

#50 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:
P1102w Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2 (recommended)
Is this one of the printers that requires the hot-plug firmware download? I wonder if it's not working.
Yes, foo2zjs includes it.

rcrsn51

#51 Post by rcrsn51 »

/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
Lots of things can cause this message. I would put CUPS in debug mode and see if you can track it down.

1. Open /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
2. Change "loglevel info" to "loglevel debug"
3. Restart CUPS
4. Print a test page
5. Go to /var/log/cups
6. Open the error log file
7. Start at the bottom and work up

jpeps

#52 Post by jpeps »

I'm getting different logs for different attempts; was getting a "Dirty files" error, but then got:

/usr/bin/foo2zjs-wrapper: line 182: /dev/null: Permission denied
/usr/bin/foo2zjs-pstops: line 111: 3848 Broken pipe
(/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) exited with no errors.

line 111 is just any argument, so nothing is getting passed. I don't think the /dev/null issue should stop anything, but may be wrong.

rcrsn51

#53 Post by rcrsn51 »

Have a look at the permissions on /dev/null. I''m seeing 666.

jpeps

#54 Post by jpeps »

That was it....works. The remaster must have changed it to 644. Nice thinking! Sure glad we have a cups master on board. :D

rcrsn51

#55 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.

Like I said, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with CUPS. But you need to recognize how it behaves in an all-root environment.