Forum downtime and issues today

News, happenings
Q5sys

#76 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:I seem to remember in a brief with John awhile ago that he has plans to upgrade the site with latest "bb-ware".
What exactly do you mean... 'in a brief'?
Also what do you mean by 'bb-ware'? Are you using that term to mean phpbb forum software? Vbulletin? Invision?

gcmartin wrote:Could it possibly be that he may be trying to do that and wants to get that done first, before moving the site to a new physical home? It could be that he's working on something as we speak.
That could explain, in part, what's happening.
There's no way for any of us to know what may or may not be happening, since there is no open communication. The last time I spoke with John was months ago, so I cant vouch for anything either way. All I know is that when we spoke before he was too busy to do anything.
Mirgrating from phpbb2 to phpbb3 is the simpliest route to go. Going from phpbb2 to another forum software requires extensive database conversion. Something that takes quite a lot of time, and also very precise knowledge and experience.

gcmartin wrote:Question:
What would it take to upgrade the BB software in a completely mirrored approach which would provide physical redundancy?
Trying to set up a mirror within forum software would be stupid, and may not even be possible.
Any mirroring would be done on the shell level on the server. Its not really hard at all, all you need is A) another server B) shell access C) cron job access D) some simple shell scripting knowledge.
You simply create a daily (or however often you want) backup of the sql database, which you then transfer between the main server and the mirror. Then on the mirror side you import the sql database into the forum on the mirror.
You could also strip passwords from the sql database before transferring between servers that way the mirror is a read only backup. This in my opinion is the best option as you never have to worry about any user being able to make a post on the mirror. You wouldn't want write access on the mirror because when the next sync occurs any changes would be overwritten.

gcmartin wrote:A dialogue with approaches could certainly provide good guidance no matter what.
I dont think anyone of us can really say anything that John doesn't already know.
If John doesn't want any changes to happen... then nothing will happen.
If John wants to make these changes but doesn't have time and doesn't want to give anyone else access... then nothing will happen.
If John does want to make changes and has time... then something will happen.

The Ball is entirely in John's court. People, like myself, have offered to help, but our offers have not been used. I think this is one of the reasons people talk about John being possessive about the forum and making sure that no one other than a couple even the slightest control over it. I really hope that's not the case. At the end of the day though, I dont really care about any of that crap. I just want the community to have a system in place that when the forum does go down... we have a backup of some kind.
All I can do is offer to help...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#77 Post by Flash »

In the past John has allowed other people a bit more control, but evidently he got worried about or didn't like the results.

Q5sys

#78 Post by Q5sys »

Flash wrote:In the past John has allowed other people a bit more control, but evidently he got worried about or didn't like the results.
Yea I've had a few bad experiences in the past when I've pulled others in to help mod forums I've helped run. So I understand his trepidation. But surely there has to be people in this community who John would trust, that could help. I'm sure he's smart enough to judge a person by their conduct here, and would want to talk to them on the phone or something before moving forward with something big.

I've only been around here since 2008, but there are plenty who have been around since 2005, which seems to be the magical year for this forum. I guess I was just 3 years late. lol

8-bit

#79 Post by 8-bit »

Before a lot of older posts on early Puppy versions disappeared, I would like to see an archive of them offered as there are still some faithful users of these early versions such as Puppy 3.01.
And I am sure there are other versions of Puppy still in use.
Also, using "The Wayback Machine" (that I have lost the link to) may or may not be a source for older posts and working download links.

I seem to remember John Murga stating at one time he had backups of the forum.
But he did not seem interested in offering them to anyone. Maybe due to the possible requests for copies that could involve a lot of work he was not ready to do.

But I also remember when Puppy's WIKI got trashed by spammers/hackers and a lot of older useful information was lost for all time as there were no backups.
And I saw enough of those posts and how-to's that I was sad to see them lost.

Q5sys

#80 Post by Q5sys »

8-bit wrote:Before a lot of older posts on early Puppy versions disappeared, I would like to see an archive of them offered as there are still some faithful users of these early versions such as Puppy 3.01.
And I am sure there are other versions of Puppy still in use.
Also, using "The Wayback Machine" (that I have lost the link to) may or may not be a source for older posts and working download links.

I seem to remember John Murga stating at one time he had backups of the forum.
But he did not seem interested in offering them to anyone. Maybe due to the possible requests for copies that could involve a lot of work he was not ready to do.

But I also remember when Puppy's WIKI got trashed by spammers/hackers and a lot of older useful information was lost for all time as there were no backups.
And I saw enough of those posts and how-to's that I was sad to see them lost.
I'm working on an archive for Puppy ISOs right now. I've gotten a bunch so far... but I'm still trying to round up more. If someone can find some sort of forum threads either on archive.org or some other cache site... I'll add that to the site.

starhawk

#81 Post by starhawk »

PM ally -- who has over 1000 ISOs archived already... ;) helped me find a few somewhat recently, to do with Puppeee, and I was able to add one (TigerPup) to that collection as well, through the efforts of myself and another member.

Snail

PM problems

#82 Post by Snail »

I have received an automatic email from the forum saying that I have 1 new PM (Time Yesterday at 2.05am). There is no new mail in my inbox, it is showing 50% full.

A PM I tried to send some hours ago is in my outbox. Shouldn't it be in the sentbox? Has it gone?

I presume this problem is why a standard post has also vanished, in spite of appearing to post fine when I submitted it. Was a long one too!

starhawk

#83 Post by starhawk »

"Outbox" PMs have been "sent" but not opened by the recipient.

EDIT: there is a member on the forum who likes to create controversial threads, and sometimes posts (invariably ones that this member does not particularly like) wind up deleted... could you post a link to the thread in which your post should be?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#84 Post by Flash »

Someone could have sent you a PM, then gone to his Outbox after the forum sent you a notification and deleted the PM before you read it. Anything's possible. I just discovered that it's topologically possible to turn a bubble inside out without breaking its skin.

Snail

Forum behaviour

#85 Post by Snail »

Thanks starhawk and Flash,

My missing post went here, or was supposed to:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88085

Can't think of any reason it would have been deliberately deleted, it must have been a random glitch. I posted it and was able to go back and see it but now it's gone. I posted a terser one to replace it.

Is there a document anywhere on how to actually use this forum technically, as opposed to etiquette? After 100's of posts, I still don't remember all the ins and outs.

starhawk

#86 Post by starhawk »

Not sure what's up with that. The member I had in mind has not posted in that thread.

Monsie

#87 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I am noticing today, and over the past couple of days that I am getting dropped connections with the Forum. Without any warning, I suddenly find that I am logged out... :? Has anyone else been having similar issues lately or do I need to look at the connection from my end?

Monsie
Last edited by Monsie on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#88 Post by Flash »

Monsie, the forum is set to time you out after 2 hours with no activity. Could that be it?

Monsie

#89 Post by Monsie »

Flash, I did not know that. In any event, that is not the case for me. Now that I think about it, I remember that this was happening on my Windows 7 notebook... :oops: but, I don't think it was happening on my 1999 Puppy desktop! :lol:

I did do some updates on my notebook this evening which included a wifi package, so maybe that will make a difference. If it turns out that I experience dropped connections while running Puppy also, then it could well be my broadband connection. The thing is, that I have been able to access other websites even after being dropped (logged out) from the Forum... :? I do have to give my router/modem device a "kick" every so often (re-boot) because I lose my internet connection altogether.... (I am waiting for a firmware update). If my router is acting up, then it seems to me there could be occasional packet loss which would contribute to dropped connections wherever I am browsing. It could well be that I am only noticing it at the Forum since that is where I spend a significant amount of time compared to other sites... so, I will have to monitor my situation more closely over the next while.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

James C

#90 Post by James C »

For what it's worth, I'm logged into the forum a lot....... no problems here.

Monsie

#91 Post by Monsie »

Thanks, James C

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more likely it seems to be something not quite right at my end...

Monsie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#92 Post by Flash »

Yes, the forum was down for about 6 hours today. John Murga fixed it. That's all I know about it. :)

musher0

#93 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Flash.

Phew, I'm sure glad the forum's back online! I almost went into withdrawal! :wink:

Many thanks to John Murga.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

cthisbear

#94 Post by cthisbear »

" Yes, the forum was down for about 6 hours today.

John Murga fixed it. "

:::::::::::

You do understand the seriousness of these outages Flash.

There might be an infinite number of people waiting for
a sarcastic post from me.

Not happy Jan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akt3P8ltLM

Chris.

mikeb

#95 Post by mikeb »

Actually I found it a welcome break...reminded me there is more to life.... all i need to do now is get one

mike