Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
mama21mama

#241 Post by mama21mama »

ES: los iconos del escritorio están en español, cuando quiero probar otros iconos y vuelvo a los iconos por defecto se quedan en idioma ingles.
EN: desktop icons are in Spanish, when I try other icons and return to the default icons remain in the English language.
Last edited by mama21mama on Thu 24 Feb 2011, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

mama21mama

#242 Post by mama21mama »

:shock:

666philb

#243 Post by 666philb »

Not sure if this is a bug or my faulty memory, but when copying lot's of files and overwriting others, the 'quiet' option doesn't work. This can be extremely hard on the mouse and finger, if you have to confirm every overwrite! I'm sure it used to work in older puppy's. Either way, it's quite annoying when trying to merge large directories.

If someone could point me out an alternative way i'ld be extremely grateful.(and so would my mouse)

Apart from that, and the fact that lupu520 has spoiled all other OS's for me :)
All is good.

thanks again for lupu...... brilliant job!

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

scsijon

xerrors.log???

#244 Post by scsijon »

Noticed the other day that I am getting an xerrors.log in /tmp each startup.

content is:

Code: Select all

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-25-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.33.2 #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda1 pmedia=atahd video=640x480
Build Date: 23 April 2010  05:11:50PM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7 (Bryce Harrington <bryce@ubuntu.com>) 
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Feb 25 12:00:03 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
cat: /sys/block/fd0/device/vendor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/block/fd0/device/model: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/jwm
ash: 22836: unknown operand
last ash keeps ocurring.

?how "can I /do I" trace the cause?

full install 5.2 with update 1

thanks
scsijon

10binary

panel is missing!

#245 Post by 10binary »

I have a pentum 4 cpu and I'm running puppy linux 5.2 on /dev/sda2.
I also have 5.0. In 5.2 though there is no panel like 5.0 had. It takes me longer to change volume since I have to use alsamixer and I can't switch between running programs unless I use Alt+Tab.

Is there as fix for this?

Otherwise puppy is running great!

bigpup

Re: panel is missing!

#246 Post by bigpup »

10binary wrote:I have a pentum 4 cpu and I'm running puppy linux 5.2 on /dev/sda2.
I also have 5.0. In 5.2 though there is no panel like 5.0 had. It takes me longer to change volume since I have to use alsamixer and I can't switch between running programs unless I use Alt+Tab.

Is there as fix for this?

Otherwise puppy is running great!
How are you running 5.2?
Should be a panel at bottom of desktop.
Should be a volume icon in lower right of this panel.
Attachments
panel.png
(6.67 KiB) Downloaded 1429 times

average novice user

quickpet 4.1

#247 Post by average novice user »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...I tried to install libreoffice from the quickpet 4.1 sfs section, and once installed it doesn't show up in the desktop menu. I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but it used to be added to the desktop menu on install.

Bert

#248 Post by Bert »

Just to be sure: it doesn't show up in the menu after rebooting?
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Jasper

#249 Post by Jasper »

Hi average novice user,

Alternatively, if you go to Tools>Options>Memory>LibreOffice Quickstarter and tick the box you can have a tiny menu icon in your system tray.

My regards

average novice user

guickpet libreoffice

#250 Post by average novice user »

I did try and reboot to see if it appeared and it didn't.
And I'm really new at this and don't know how to open libreoffice otherwise, so I'm not able to make changes to it's options.

Jasper

#251 Post by Jasper »

Hi average novice user,

I am downloading the sfs version you have to Lucid Puppy 5.2 so that I may be of more help. but the download is painfully slow.

Else, you could try Menu>Filesystem>Pfind and type libre then enter and investigate.

My regards

Addendum (post download):

If your sfs has loaded properly you should see some of the programs under Document>..Pub;ishing and some under Business>Calculate.

Come back if that doesn't work.

Jim1911

Re: quickpet 4.1

#252 Post by Jim1911 »

average novice user wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...I tried to install libreoffice from the quickpet 4.1 sfs section, and once installed it doesn't show up in the desktop menu. I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but it used to be added to the desktop menu on install.
It should show up in three locations:
1. menu>Graphics (Draw and Impress)
2. menu>Document>Document/Publishing (LibreOffice 3.3, PrinterAdmin, and Writer)
3. menu>Business>Calculate (base, calc, and math)

If you don't have these, look for the sfs , delete it and download again, and reboot.

Jasper

#253 Post by Jasper »

Hi Jim1911,

Thanks for adding the Graphics reference which I failed to notice,

I dragged and dropped the sfs icon into shinobar's sfs loader available at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 26&t=64354 so that may be worth a quick try before any re-download?

My regards

bigpup

Re: quickpet 4.1

#254 Post by bigpup »

average novice user wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...I tried to install libreoffice from the quickpet 4.1 sfs section, and once installed it doesn't show up in the desktop menu. I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but it used to be added to the desktop menu on install.
How are you running Puppy?
Live CD, frugal install, or full install?
If you are using a method that uses a save file, the save file needs to be large. Libreoffice is very large 300MB plus and needs lots of room. The install process may not tell you there was not enough room and may let you think it installed.

average novice user

libre office on quickpet

#255 Post by average novice user »

I have puppy as a full install on a desktop with a gig of ram and a 250gb hard-drive, so I don't think that is the problem. It tried downloading it through quickpet twice, and the same thing happened. I also looked in the graphics menu as well, and it did not appear there either. Have other people downloaded the libreoffice sfs through quickpet successfully? I should note that I really appreciate all the feedback.

average novice user

libre office on quickpet

#256 Post by average novice user »

I have puppy as a full install on a desktop with a gig of ram and a 250gb hard-drive, so I don't think that is the problem. It tried downloading it through quickpet twice, and the same thing happened. I also looked in the graphics menu as well, and it did not appear there either. Have other people downloaded the libreoffice sfs through quickpet successfully? I should note that I really appreciate all the feedback.

Jasper

#257 Post by Jasper »

Hi average novice user,

Below is a picture of the file I downloaded using Quickpet.

My Lucid Puppy 5.2 is a Frugal install whereas your's is full,

So I used shinobar's v9 sfs loader by dragging and dropping the icon (in the screenshot) into the box in the loader's GUI and I did not need to reboot to use it.

My regards

Added: I recommend that you follow the advice from the capable hands of Jim1911 in his post immediately below
Attachments
sfs.jpg
(9.51 KiB) Downloaded 1781 times
Last edited by Jasper on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#258 Post by Jim1911 »

average novice user wrote:I have puppy as a full install on a desktop with a gig of ram and a 250gb hard-drive, so I don't think that is the problem. It tried downloading it through quickpet twice, and the same thing happened. I also looked in the graphics menu as well, and it did not appear there either. Have other people downloaded the libreoffice sfs through quickpet successfully? I should note that I really appreciate all the feedback.
When you downloaded it using Quickpet, apparantly there was a problem. Since it is a full installation, Quickpet should convert this file to a pet file which can be used on a full installation. Please completely remove the existing installation using ppm. To make sure that it's completely removed, delete the directory /opt/libreoffice and also open /usr/share/applications and delete all libreoffice desktop files if any. This should remove your existing installation. Then try Quickpet>Sfs Get again.

If it still doesn't work properly, uninstall again, and then go here and download http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... l_sfs4.sfs. I recommend that you use menu>Internet>Uget for the download. Next open Quickpet>SFS>Sfs_grabber and follow it's prompts. Sfs_grabber will convert the sfs to a pet and install it on your HD.

If this doesn't work, please post detailed information about what you tried.

bigpup

#259 Post by bigpup »

Running Lucid 5.2 full install.
No problem getting Libreoffice installed from Quickpet.
All menu entries made. Works great.
Hope your full install is not on a partition formated ext4.
Ext4 not fully supported in Puppy.

average novice user

libre office

#260 Post by average novice user »

I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know if I'm still having trouble.

Cheers

average novice user