Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
bignono1

#301 Post by bignono1 »

Every time i post a reply with a url from the forum i get a blank page.
I just want to say that a bug reported here on page 5 is to be looked at , the desktop menu bug.
Last edited by bignono1 on Wed 27 Apr 2011, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#302 Post by starhawk »

Ya'll might want to know about this one, as its liable to cause some confusion. I just finished installing Lupu 520 to a beige Dell (!!) that I had lying around (local tech shop *gave* it to me cuz it's a P3 :lol: ) -- and guess what?

The Puppy Universal Installer thinks that the internal 250MB ZiP Drive (came with the system) is an IDE HDD!!

Might want to fix that, since again, it's liable to make for some spectacular confusion amongst the n00bie crowd.
Attachments
BugScreen.jpg
Seriously, what the flying ****?
(88.23 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

bignono1

#303 Post by bignono1 »

The snapshot is showing sdb IOMEGA ZIP 250 , which is the actual thing.

pa_mcclamrock

#304 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

At least two users have reported a problem with Lucid Puppy not giving them an option to create a save file at the first shutdown: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67226. I haven't had this problem myself, but it appears to be a bug that should be fixed if possible.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

starhawk

#305 Post by starhawk »

bignono1 wrote:The snapshot is showing sdb IOMEGA ZIP 250 , which is the actual thing.
Not sure what you mean by this -- the drive is there, yes, and it's (presumably) usable, but I don't have any ZiP 250 disks to test it. So the drive is empty and has been since I've gotten hold of this system.

So if you mean, the drive is there, then yes.

If you mean, there's a disk being detected, well, no.

scsijon

#306 Post by scsijon »

starhawk, the zip drives act similar to your floppy drives, they show if installed, just get an error if try to use them without a disk inserted. The earliest ones even used the same interface and appeared as drive b:. The later ones just changed the interface to either scsi or ide but still worked with a second interface driver loaded first so not sure if anything short of a firmware upgrade (which didn't exist back then) could change the manner.

?Do you want me to see if I can find a cartridge disc or two, I have some somewhere around in my junk room, whim me if so. But you had best check that the wiper heads inside arn't damaged by being bent first (the usual reason why their damaged and scrapped) as park and loaded were at the opposite positions and a lot of people use to forget to unload before removing the cartridge. Wipers are clearly visable with a light and magnifying glass through the portal.

regards
scsijon

rjbrewer

#307 Post by rjbrewer »

Zip drives are no longer an option with the latest Puppies
according to a message in universal installer in the Wary
I use.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

starhawk

#308 Post by starhawk »

I was simply reporting that it showed up in the wrong place in the universal installer, and that perhaps this was not a good thing.

scsijon, I live in the US, and am what those richer than I prefer to call "indigent". If you can afford to send me a test disk, I'll be glad to take it, but I can't pay you even the cost of shipping -- sorry, I'm just that poor right now.

don570

new version of lupu_Right-click

#309 Post by don570 »

A new version of lupu_Right-click is available
here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013
It gives more right click options.

smokey01

Re: new version of lupu_Right-click

#310 Post by smokey01 »

don570 wrote:A new version of lupu_Right-click is available
here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013
It gives more right click options.

I even switched between Openbox and JWM to see if it would make any difference. fixmenus didn't work either.

I also noticed .flv files were suggested to be opened with abiword. .txt files with abiword also, wouldn't geany be a better option.

Otherwise excellent.

Thanks

Diamond

#311 Post by Diamond »

Diamond wrote:Hello to all puppy lovers!
I need help,in puppz 5.2 my lucent driver is not working,last working puppy with my modem is puppy 4.4.3 using 4.4.3 distro

Please,can you post lucent drivers for my modem ? I tried wary,but it can't recognize mu video card.

Thanx!
Anyone ? Please help!!!

ausvirgo

Puppy Network Wizard - Load a network module

#312 Post by ausvirgo »

Had this problem in 4.xx and Lucid 5.25

1) For Toshiba Satellite laptop with RTL8191SE wifi NIC, Auto probe gave heaps of false positives, and for each one I had to go through the same manual sequence to re-start the auto probe.

It would be nice to have the program use flags to automatically go through the steps again when it found "no new network interfaces were detected". With safeguards against endless looping, of course.

2) Auto probe asks to report false positives in the forum - here are some I recorded before giving up and searching the net for a driver:

8139c (from memory - not guaranteed)
8139too amd811 asix at76c50x ath5k ath9k atl1 atl1c atl1e atl2 atmelpci b43 b43legacy b44 bnx2 cassini catc cdc_eem cdc_ether cdc_subset de2104x dl2k dm9601
Some people are allergic to money - they break out in a rash of spending!

don570

new version of right click package

#313 Post by don570 »

new version 4.8 of my right click options package
which offers additional right click options for convenience.

I made a few small changes to my Right click package on the suggestion of
smokey01

1) More options for text files and internet files
2) Also a partition can be searched by pfind
3) MIME was changed so that GIMP xcf files can be opened with a
single click

lupu-right-click-4.8.pet size 30k

Go to this thread for details
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 996#519996

myke

Bug with Dependency Checking in Lucid Pup 525

#314 Post by myke »

I got the following bug when checking Slang library in dependency checking.

If this has been reported, could someone PM me with the fix?

Or if this is a Dependency Check Manager bug (which I have never encountered in puppy before, please PM me and I will redirect.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

Rocco

Re: Can't start X

#315 Post by Rocco »

bigpup wrote:
Maarcis wrote:when I try to run it on my laptop it goes like "Starting X, specs in /etc/x11/xorg.conf ............"
and then
"Exited from X. Type "xwin [fvwm95|jwm]" to restart X ......."
"If X failed to start ...... 'xorgwizard'..." :?
I went through xorgwizard and tried different options, but in the end I still get the same message mentioned above. By the way xorgwizard recognizes the video card (ati mobility radeon x700).

P.S.
The laptop is a 5 or 6 year old Acer Extensa 4100 (Intel Centrino, Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB, display resolution 1280x800, 512MB RAM, no internal HDD)
Try this:
Boot with the CD
Select F-2 when you see the boot screen.
Enter boot option:

puppy pfix=nox

...to stop the X server from trying to start.
After it boots up, At the prompt type:

xorgwizard

Choose Vesa driver with the appropriate screen resolution (if you don't know what to chose try the lowest possible resolution).
Select test
IT should test Ok.
If it does not test OK
Try a different resolution.
After that type:

xwin

If that works run Quickpet program
Drivers tab
Click here to test graphics card.
See what the recommended video driver is and install that driver from the driver tab in Quickpet.
Reboot.
Maarcis wrote:Thanks bigpup! I did everything as you told and I'm now working from Lucid Puppy 5.2. Yay! :)
The only problem now is low resolution. I can't get nothing higher than 800x600.
I have tested graphics card and installed Xorg High (recommended driver) from Quickpet Drivers tab. I also have tried to install ATI driver but it doesn't support my graphics card. So now I'm stuck with Xorg High and resolution 800x600 (I tried to change it in Puppy Setup / Xorg Video Wizard) instead of 1280x800.
Should I modify xorg.conf? :roll:
Any ideas?
Anybody have more info on this? I'm experiencing a problem similar to the one reported by Maarcis. When I try to boot a 5.2.5 LiveCD on my old ibuddie A900 laptop, it's got a SiS 630S video chip set. The computer boots Puppy 4.3.1 with no problems but will only boot 5.2.5 if use pfix=nox, I tried the fix recommended by bigpup as well as a different fix recommended in another thread, neither worked for me.

BTW, my newer computer will boot successfully using the same CD.

bigpup

Re: Can't start X

#316 Post by bigpup »

Rocco wrote:Anybody have more info on this? I'm experiencing a problem similar to the one reported by Maarcis. When I try to boot a 5.2.5 LiveCD on my old ibuddie A900 laptop, it's got a SiS 630S video chip set. The computer boots Puppy 4.3.1 with no problems but will only boot 5.2.5 if use pfix=nox, I tried the fix recommended by bigpup as well as a different fix recommended in another thread, neither worked for me.

BTW, my newer computer will boot successfully using the same CD.
This computer is probably not going to work with 5.2.5
Support for your hardware in the Linux kernel is the issue.
That is why 4.3.1 does work. It uses an older kernel.
Wary 5.1.2 is a Puppy designed for older hardware. Could try it.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02304

Rocco

#317 Post by Rocco »

I've tried Wary 5.1.2, same result as 5.2.5. I was also unsuccessful when I tried booting up with Puppy 5.2.5 retro which uses kernel 2.6.30.5, the same kernel as the version of Puppy 4.3.1 that I use.