Old binaries will run in Puppy!

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Anna Merikin

Old binaries will run in Puppy!

#1 Post by Anna Merikin »

Puppy seems not be very choosy about what binaries it will run; I have a few favorite programs, some compiled on RH-6.2! with the 2.2 kernel and gcc <2.95 iirc and I found some of them ran fine even from their DOS archive. A build of ytree from a recent SuSE is bigger than the dotpup but works perfectly, if a little differently. e , a commandline algebraic solver, dropped in without a hitch.

I haven't tried to do this with complex programs or anything requiring x-window support, but if I have some time on my hands, I have an old binary package of Blackbox windowmanager with pager and key-binder that I would love to try.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, if anyone would like the binary (or source) to e , drop me a note @ AnnamerikinAToperamail.com, making the obvious substitution. It's no longer maintained, AFAICT.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Anna, we can send private messages, so we don't need to post the email address. Just click on the PM button if you wish to send a private message to a registered user.

As far as adding apps to Puppy there are so many possibilities.

Anna Merikin

thanqx

#3 Post by Anna Merikin »

As you can tell, I'm a nooB here. Thanks for the tip.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Anna, I have SuSE professional v 7.0 and Red Hat Deluxe 6.1, it you can think if any old utilities or apps that might be good for Puppy let me know. I can test them and make a dotpup.

Personally, I hate bloatware and am often more satisfied with the type of small useful apps included with Puppy.

Also is you have some packages you want tested or whatever, please post about them.