Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 01:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
faster internet experience?
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
_Mark_

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan 2011, 19:30    Post_subject:  

Broadband mate
Monsie

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2012, 04:45    Post_subject: faster internet experience?  

Hi all,

I want to review this topic again... Recently, I tried Namebench on my Debian desktop, and found that it worked very nicely. While I have been using OpenDNS for just over a year now, Namebench found two other dns connections for me that were noticeably faster... based on my broadband service and location.

So, I tried it in Wary, but I am getting a seg fault with Python which suggests to me that the package needs to be compiled though I couldn't find any information on this at the Google site, nor could I find any build scripts for compilation in the source code, so I am stumped about this at the moment. That said, compiling software is not my forte, so perhaps others can look at the source code and shed some light here...

In any event, the program is only about 4mb in size, and I think is potentially a must have utility for most of us who are no longer using a dial-up connection. I can see myself re-checking my Internet connection a couple of times a year, especially when I notice some dropped connections (as I have lately).

Monsie

Monsie

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr 2012, 05:05    Post_subject: faster internet experience?
Sub_title: namebench

Here is an update:

I managed to get Namebench working on my Wary desktop, and it turned out that it was not necessary to compile the source code. I will post the details over in Additional Software/Utilities later today (as it is getting rather late for me to be up... and on top of that, I am fighting a cold at the moment).

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of my Namebench results at the terminal.

Monsie
namebench-test.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  namebench-test.jpg 
Filesize  178.9 KB 
Downloaded  101 Time(s) 

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming