faster internet experience?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
_Mark_

#16 Post by _Mark_ »

Broadband mate

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I want to review this topic again... Recently, I tried Namebench on my Debian desktop, and found that it worked very nicely. While I have been using OpenDNS for just over a year now, Namebench found two other dns connections for me that were noticeably faster... based on my broadband service and location.

So, I tried it in Wary, but I am getting a seg fault with Python which suggests to me that the package needs to be compiled though I couldn't find any information on this at the Google site, nor could I find any build scripts for compilation in the source code, so I am stumped about this at the moment. That said, compiling software is not my forte, so perhaps others can look at the source code and shed some light here...

In any event, the program is only about 4mb in size, and I think is potentially a must have utility for most of us who are no longer using a dial-up connection. I can see myself re-checking my Internet connection a couple of times a year, especially when I notice some dropped connections (as I have lately).

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#18 Post by Monsie »

Here is an update:

I managed to get Namebench working on my Wary desktop, and it turned out that it was not necessary to compile the source code. I will post the details over in Additional Software/Utilities later today (as it is getting rather late for me to be up... and on top of that, I am fighting a cold at the moment).

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of my Namebench results at the terminal.

Monsie
Attachments
namebench-test.jpg
(178.9 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.