xwin not working with Number Nine i128

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Bill253

#1 Post by Bill253 »

Hi all,

I came across Puppy Linux a couple of weeks ago and thought it might be just the excuse I needed to dust off my old Win98 box.

Unfortunately Wary 5.0.0 doesn't seem to play well with my old video card. Works great on four other systems I've tried it on (having issues with an AMD/ATI HD4350 on a different box but that works with Xvesa).

System specs are:
PII-350MHz MMX, Shuttle SpaceWalker HOT 661 (BX-441?) motherboard, 30 GB IDE HDD, 128 MB PC-100 (recently upped to 384MB), Samsung SyncMaster 770 TFT (works with Puppy on a different box), Zip Drive, ATAPI CDROM, Soundblaster 16, D-Link NIC, Number Nine Imagine 128 (i128) pci video card... can give more detail if needed.

Neither Xorg or Xvesa drivers seem to work, probe picks up i128 driver but not monitor resolution. Can get X to come up in 320x240 resolution, but is unreadable and menu picks don't seem to work - have to push reset button on case to reboot.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers,
Bill253

FeodorF

#2 Post by FeodorF »

Dear Bill253,

the easiest way will be to try Puppy Linux version 4.3.1 (pup-431.iso). Puppy 4.3.1 has an older xorg file named < i128_drv.so > (size: 54 K). If it works fine, you will have to replace this file on Wary 5.0 .

The files are located at:
usr / X11R7 / lib / xorg / modules / drivers /

You will find the pup/431.iso file at:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-4.3.1/

Regards, FeodorF

Bill253

#3 Post by Bill253 »

Thanks for the reply FeodorF.

I'll give 4.3.1 a try and report back.

This card is old, and from what I can tell rather obscure, but it works fine in Windoze98 up to 1024x768 True color 32bit.

It would be a shame not to be able to use the i128 with Puppy Linux.

Bill253

#4 Post by Bill253 »

OK, tried Puppy Linux 4.3.1, still no joy. :cry:

As with my experience with Wary 50, Xorg wizard setup tried to make things work. Probe failed to detect the monitor and did report: "The current driver being used is i128 and your video vendor is: 'Number 9 Computer Company' board info is 'Imagine 128'. So it looks like probe is picking up the video card correctly.

The Wizard suggested that:
320x200x24 is Unconfirmed for Monitor, OK for Video Card.
All other entries were: Unconfirmed for Monitor, maybe NOT OK for video card.

The X Test report showed blank entries for Resolution, Horizontal frequency and Refresh frequency. I tried 1024x768x16 since I know my monitor will support that. The X Test failed.

Tried the Xvesa driver and it came up with an ugly, low res display that's pretty much unreadable.

It was ever so slightly better than the Wary 50 X display though. Could make out some of the menu icons and even read a few things like the stop sign on menu -> shutdown. No real text, and none of the menu selections for shutdown seemed to work, except maybe Restart X server. The X server seemed to restart itself from time to time anyway (black screen followed by blue/white (clouds?) screen with icons/menu.

Any other ideas out there, or is this old PII box (or at least the video card) destined for the trash heap?

FeodorF

#5 Post by FeodorF »

Hi, Bill,

no the ‘Imagine 128‘ graphic card is nothing for the trash box; the problem is that the drivers for ‘xorg’ are not ready jet.

Sounds crazy? No it is n’t they are transferring it from XFree86 4.0 to Xorg.

X.org Foundation: (they give a little info about what's going on about the card)
http://www.x.org/wiki/

DRI: (another Team working on direct rendering)
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/NumberNine

SUPPORTED HARDWARE with Puppy version> Lupu 5.2
The i128 driver supports PCI and AGP video cards based on the following
I128 chips:

-I128 rev 1 (original)
-I128-II
-I128-T2R Ticket 2 Ride
-I128-T2R4 Ticket 2 Ride IV

O.k., an other try:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download Latest Release.htm

Please download lucid puppy 5.2 (this one is based on ubuntu). That should do it!

Regards, FeodorF

Bill253

#6 Post by Bill253 »

Still no luck. with the i128 :cry: All three versions seem to pick up the i128 driver (at least detect the card when it probes). I didn't even try the low-res Xvesa on Lucid, maybe later.

I am, however, using Lucid Puppy 5.2 with Firefox 3.6.13 on my main desktop to write this. It's VERY pretty! :D May just have to stick with it here for a while.

Thanks for you help with this, FeodorF. I have a busy weekend ahead, so probably won't get to play with Puppy much. Will pick it up next week.

You have a great weekend too,
Bill253