5-steps - Netboot a Puppy over the LAN with NO Media (PXE)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

TFTP Server in DNSMASQ ONLY allows reads - no Writes!

#61 Post by gcmartin »

Retracted earlier comments.

The TFTP commands I've found to not match the tftp command in Busybox. I have no way to test this. I have noticed that the tftp command in a Puppy terminal does not seem to work when trying to use it to transfer a file to the running TFTP host that is used by this very Netboot facility. BUT, IT DOES WORK TO TRANSFER A FILE FROM THE Netboot facility.

Code: Select all

tftp -r pxelinux.0  -g localhost
To understand correct client command invocation, type "tftp" in a terminal.

Edit:
The following CANNOT be done. Its the product's version of security.

It must be investigated to find the parm in DNSMASQ start to allow TFTP to allow users writing to this server. (BUT, beware as there's a very good  local security reason why you might NOT do this on a Netboot server, though)
Hope this helps
Edit: DNSMASQ DOES NOT ALLOW A CLIENT TO WRITE TO ITS TFTP service! .....the author
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 04:04, edited 3 times in total.

MagicZaurus

Pure-FTPd

#62 Post by MagicZaurus »

Hi puppy_newb!

I'm not familiar with Lucid 5.2.8. I'm using a pupplet based on Puppy 4.3.1. There is Pure-FTPd in the network menu and that is a normal FTP server and I think it is also available in Lucid. With this you can share files, but also should be able to upload files from a client. On the client you can use gFTP or the FTP command in the terminal.

MZ

puppy_newb

Re: Pure-FTPd

#63 Post by puppy_newb »

MagicZaurus wrote:Hi puppy_newb!

I'm not familiar with Lucid 5.2.8. I'm using a pupplet based on Puppy 4.3.1. There is Pure-FTPd in the network menu and that is a normal FTP server and I think it is also available in Lucid. With this you can share files, but also should be able to upload files from a client. On the client you can use gFTP or the FTP command in the terminal.

MZ
Hi Magic,

Thanks for the gFTP information. The problem is that I need to copy switch config files from an HP switch which only allows copying files from it by TFTP. It just doesn't support FTP. Is there anyway I can get TFTP up and running on any Puppy?

gcmartin

#64 Post by gcmartin »

puppy_newb wrote: ...The problem is that I need to copy switch config files from an HP switch which only allows copying files from it by TFTP. It just doesn't support FTP. Is there anyway I can get TFTP up and running on any Puppy?
Questions
  • Which HP Switch do you have?
  • Are you using the HP switch utilities or are you using a custom utility on your switch?
Here to help

nooby

#65 Post by nooby »

gcmartin you write
you just drop it in and forget it
Drop it where? I have no idea what you talk about.
okay I have both computers running now. So if I "drop"
the ubuntu iso on one of my computer then I can start it
on the other ? Drop it where?
Any feedback you have, please post it there..
Where is here? This thread or the thread you linked to?

I guess you mean that after reading the txt then I know what you refer to
as just drop it. Where in the text do you tell where to drop the iso.
I am a poor reader of text. I drown in the words.

As I get it now finding the first text?
The general steps to implement a PXE server is as follows. It prepares the programs and files required for this particular setup so that it can provide all necessary items that a PXEclient requires to boot.
It sets up a server. That is not an easy thing. Nope I am out of here.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

puppy_newb

#66 Post by puppy_newb »

gcmartin wrote:
puppy_newb wrote: ...The problem is that I need to copy switch config files from an HP switch which only allows copying files from it by TFTP. It just doesn't support FTP. Is there anyway I can get TFTP up and running on any Puppy?
Questions
  • Which HP Switch do you have?
  • Are you using the HP switch utilities or are you using a custom utility on your switch?
Here to help
Hi GC

I have an HP 3500 and a 6200 that only support TFTP not FTP.

gcmartin

#67 Post by gcmartin »

puppy_newb wrote:
GCMartin wrote: ... Which HP Switch do you have? ...
... I have an HP 3500 and a 6200 that only support TFTP not FTP.
From Your HP 3500 Switch's Manual:
OVERVIEW
Category:
Primary context: config
Related Commands
Usage: [no] tftp [client|server]
Description: Enable/disable TFTP, trivial file transfer protocol.
If SFTP is enabled, TFTP will be disabled. If
SFTP is to be enabled using SNMP, both TFTP and
auto-TFTP MUST first be disabled.
COMMAND STRUCTURE
■ [no] tftp client -- Enable/disable the TFTP client (p. 685)
■ [no] tftp server -- Enable/disable the TFTP server (p. 685)
COMMAND DETAILS
client (p. 685) server (p. 685)
client
■ [no] tftp client
Enable/disable the TFTP client
server
■ [no] tftp serverOVERVIEW
Category:
Related Commands
COMMAND STRUCTURE
COMMAND DETAILS
client
■ [no] tftp client
server
■ [no] tftp server
Enable/disable the TFTP server

Which TFTP personality are you trying to be?

These are 24/48 port business class switches. Although, I have seen these switches before, I am not an authority on these specific models. Are you also using POE with these switches?

It appears from this entry that your switch may have SFTP capability as well.

HP, may have given you tools on your CD for backup and recovery of your configurations. Do you have that CD? If you have its part number, we may be able to find a manual on that CD's toolset. (If you're not using these switches for work, you're probably running a small village or have a very large family.)

Here to help

puppy_newb

#68 Post by puppy_newb »

gcmartin wrote:
puppy_newb wrote:
GCMartin wrote: ... Which HP Switch do you have? ...
... I have an HP 3500 and a 6200 that only support TFTP not FTP.
From Your HP 3500 Switch's Manual:
OVERVIEW
Category:
Related Commands
COMMAND STRUCTURE
COMMAND DETAILS
client
■ [no] tftp client
server
■ [no] tftp serverOVERVIEW
Category:
Related Commands
COMMAND STRUCTURE
COMMAND DETAILS
client
■ [no] tftp client
server
■ [no] tftp server

Which TFTP personality are you trying to be?

These are 24/48 port business class switches. Although, I have seen these switches before, I am not an authority on these specific models. Are you also using POE with these switches?

It appears from this entry that your switch may have SFTP capability as well.

HP, may have given you tools on your CD for backup and recovery of your configurations. Do you have that CD? If you have its part number, we may be able to find a manual on that CD's toolset. (If you're not using these switches for work, you're probably running a small village or have a very large family.)

Here to help
Hi GC,

I would like a different TFTP Server to work besides dnsmasq. I have it working with RHEL5 using their tftpd service. I just want that software working in puppy. Do you know of a tftpd service port for puppy or another TFTP Server like atftpd?

Aitch

#69 Post by Aitch »

puppy_newb

#70 Post by puppy_newb »

Hi Aitch,

Thanks for your help but I have already looked into that solution and I can confirm it does not work for Puppy Linux 5.2.8. I guess I can confirm that there is no way a TFTP server which accepts files from a switch can be integrated to a remastered live DVD version of Puppy, unless I can be proved wrong. I have been working on this for about four months and not close to a solution at all.

MagicZaurus

ATFTP

#71 Post by MagicZaurus »

Maybe you can try the Debian atftp package from here.

The dependencies are only libc6 and libreadline6, which both should be included in Puppy Linux. But the configuration you most likely need to figure out yourself. So far all TFTP-Netbooting has been mainly done with dnsmasq on Puppy Linux, which is not applicable in your case.

puppy_newb

Re: ATFTP

#72 Post by puppy_newb »

MagicZaurus wrote:Maybe you can try the Debian atftp package from here.

The dependencies are only libc6 and libreadline6, which both should be included in Puppy Linux. But the configuration you most likely need to figure out yourself. So far all TFTP-Netbooting has been mainly done with dnsmasq on Puppy Linux, which is not applicable in your case.
I just tried it. It doesn't work. I can't believe this isn't possible with Puppy.

puppy_newb

#73 Post by puppy_newb »

puppy_newb wrote:
MagicZaurus wrote:Maybe you can try the Debian atftp package from here.

I just tried it. It doesn't work. I can't believe this isn't possible with Puppy.

Thanks for all your help! After 4 months the solution was commenting "ALL:ALL" from the /etc/hosts.deny file also known as TCP wrappers. Once this was un-commented, I was able to transfer files from a network switch directly to my Puppy Live DVD running a TFTP server at boot-up. I hope this helps somebody in the future!

rcrsn51

#74 Post by rcrsn51 »

puppy_newb wrote:Thanks for all your help! After 4 months the solution was commenting "ALL:ALL" from the /etc/hosts.deny file also known as TCP wrappers. Once this was un-commented, I was able to transfer files from a network switch directly to my Puppy Live DVD running a TFTP server at boot-up. I hope this helps somebody in the future!
Could you please clarify this? The "ALL:ALL" line is UNcommented by default. Had you changed it?

puppy_newb

#75 Post by puppy_newb »

rcrsn51 wrote:
puppy_newb wrote:Thanks for all your help! After 4 months the solution was commenting "ALL:ALL" from the /etc/hosts.deny file also known as TCP wrappers. Once this was un-commented, I was able to transfer files from a network switch directly to my Puppy Live DVD running a TFTP server at boot-up. I hope this helps somebody in the future!
Could you please clarify this? The "ALL:ALL" line is UNcommented by default. Had you changed it?
Oh sorry, what i mean is the ALL:ALL is there by default. I had to type # in front of the line in order to un-comment the line out. Once this was done, the TFTP server started working like a charm!

rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. Just to be clear, "commenting" means to add the # and "uncommenting" means to remove it.

pindrop

#77 Post by pindrop »

Wow great project - this looks like a lot of hard work thanks so much for this contribution. I have not tried it out yet but would like to implement it at work. I had a few questions though:

1) Would it be possible to make the pxe boot default entry be to boot from the pxe client's local hard drive? (We have a bunch of corp servers that many are probably set to pxe boot (this was never an issue because we've never had a pxe server on this corp network), and I'd rather not have them boot into puppy on any reboots... rather than change the boot order on all these Dell servers, I'd like to just have the pxe boot menu boot the client's local hard drive as default). I would imagine this could be accomplished with a simple addition to the default file?

The next 2 questions I haven't researched yet and are likely outside the bounds of your project, and more related to getting the properly customized puppy iso that I need to use; but perhaps someone might have some input.

2) OK, so most of our desktop computers that this would be applicable for are identical with the same NICs, so has anyone ever made a puppy that will auto-dhcp? I always remember having to run the network setup after puppy loads, is there anyway to bypass that and just have puppy auto-sense the correct driver and get a dhcp lease? This would lead to the next question....

3) Once I have an auto-dhcp-lease after pxe-booted into puppy, I'd like to connect to our Windows domain! hehe... preferably, also (this may not be possible I know because you are already logged into puppy as root), I'd like some sort of authentication gui to come up so the user can login with their AD credentials... Anyway I don't think this would even work correctly... I'd imagine I'd have to completely remaster a puppy so that the machine connects to the domain, and then instead of root logging into X, the AD user should log into X... don't really have any idea how to do this part, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.... Thanks!

gcmartin

Assisting user question on PXE with Corporate walls

#78 Post by gcmartin »

pindrop wrote:Wow ...
1) Would it be possible to make the pxe boot default entry be to boot from the pxe client's local hard drive? (We have a bunch of corp servers that many are probably set to pxe boot (this was never an issue because we've never had a pxe server on this corp network), and I'd rather not have them boot into puppy on any reboots... rather than change the boot order on all these Dell servers, I'd like to just have the pxe boot menu boot the client's local hard drive as default). I would imagine this could be accomplished with a simple addition to the default file?

The next 2 questions I haven't researched yet and are likely outside the bounds of your project, and more related to getting the properly customized puppy iso that I need to use; but perhaps someone might have some input.

2) OK, so most of our desktop computers that this would be applicable for are identical with the same NICs, so has anyone ever made a puppy that will auto-dhcp? I always remember having to run the network setup after puppy loads, is there anyway to bypass that and just have puppy auto-sense the correct driver and get a dhcp lease? This would lead to the next question....

3) Once I have an auto-dhcp-lease after pxe-booted into puppy, I'd like to connect to our Windows domain! hehe... preferably, also (this may not be possible I know because you are already logged into puppy as root), I'd like some sort of authentication gui to come up so the user can login with their AD credentials... Anyway I don't think this would even work correctly... I'd imagine I'd have to completely remaster a puppy so that the machine connects to the domain, and then instead of root logging into X, the AD user should log into X... don't really have any idea how to do this part, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.... Thanks!
Introduction
Netbooting is a subsystem that is added to One PC on your LAN. That PC inserts itself on your LAN so that other PCs who use ther PXE will have an OS to boot. Once booted, they will connect and run from services that your LAN provides....NOT FROM THE Netboot server they booted from! There should be one AND ONLY ONE, Netboot server on a single LAN at any given time. The Netboot Guide in this thread should take you about 15 minues (Guessing), including its reading, to be operational.
PXE is a funciton of your PC bios and its startup "HOT" keys. The PC is told in which order it is to "look" fo r boot materials. PXE (your LAN-Network card). It just one of the devices you can select.

I will try to cover your requests, out of order of your questions.
Your qustion #2
When ANY computer PXE boots, its final step is to disconnect from the PXE server at which case it is on its own. Most Puppies will automatically request an IP address from the LAN. If you DO NOT HAVE A DHCP server on your LAN, that Puppy PC will need someone to provide an IP for it to use.

Your qustion #3
If you are using LightHosue64 the SAMBA which you need is built-in and is current. If you use SLACKO or use PUPPY528, use SAMBA 3.61 found in the PPM.

Your qustion #1
There should be ONE AND ONLY ONE Netboot server on any LAN at any time for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps

pindrop

Re: Assisting user question on PXE with Corporate walls

#79 Post by pindrop »

gcmartin wrote:Your qustion #1
There should be ONE AND ONLY ONE Netboot server on any LAN at any time for obvious reasons.

Hope this helps
Thanks for those answers. Regarding question 1, I believe you misunderstood what I was asking, or I did not communicate it well. I understand of course that there is only to be one netboot server. My question is related to the boot menu (the one that the netboot server pushes to the pxe client) that the computer that is pxe booting into puppy will see. In said menu, I would want the default entry to be to boot from that computer's local hard drive, IE, NOT to boot into puppy from the netboot server. The reason for this is that we have many many corporate servers where the first boot method is network/pxe, and I would NOT want these corp servers to boot into the pxe-booted puppy when they reboot. Hopefully this is clearer... I think it can be done by just making the default boot entry in the pxelinux.cfg default file to be "localboot 0" or similar.

MagicZaurus

Blocking certain PXE clients

#80 Post by MagicZaurus »

From what I remember from the DNSMASQ documentation you are able to filter to which request from which PXE clients to do netbooting the TFTP server replies. If you know the MAC addresses of your corporate servers you can filter them out and not even reply to them.

Your suggestion to have a default entry to boot from the local disk should also be possible. It should work with this in your pxelinux.cfg

timeout 120
default local
prompt 1

LABEL local
        DISPLAY boot.txt
        localboot 0

LABEL Puppy