Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 04:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Needs a lot of improvement in printing
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Author Message
jemimah


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 4309
Location: Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jan 2011, 12:49    Post_subject:  

This is one reason I removed printing from the base system to it's own SFS for my puplets. I should be able to include all the drivers, the rather large Ghostscript 9, and the various bug fixes needed to make them work.

The end result is larger if you need to print, but it's less hassle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Frank Cox

Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 21:54    Post_subject: Re: Needs a lot of improvement in printing  

Sadly what you say is true, I love puppy and I use it almost exclusively at home where there is no broadband offered. It works great w/ my Epson printer I am not by any stretch a linux expert or even average perhaps but compared to the average person who does not realise that Mac , Linux , and Windows are different operating systems , or for that matter that operating systems exist I am a genius. No kidding i install Linux for someone and they love the speed and I explain to them about all the great software you can get free and 2 weeks later they are bitching me out because the game they bought at WalMart does not work.

I work on computers and am reasonably intelligent , I managed to compile a modem or 2 but I don't care how smart a person is if you read instructions that tell you to add this or that and spend an hour trying to find a reference to it that will tell you where to find it you're just screwed.
After a few hours it is cheaper to toss the printer and go buy that does not just claim to work in puppy .Like you said, even an IT guy would struggle with the vague stuff you find .

It does not help when people who claim to be promoting it basically accuse you of lying when you tell them how much time you wasted .
There is a pup that Scottman made that after you install it you can remove the drivers you don't need so there must be a better way to do the printers because what choice do I have when I set-up a customers machine and already know or worse find out during the install it is going to take 3 ,6 10, or perhaps never to install their printer when I can install a slower system with all sorts of stuff they will never use and install the printer instantly in many cases. Most of the printers I have installed on Ubuntu consisted of clicking on add printer and then agree on the one it found, At first I was sure it failed because the screen closed but the printer was already installed! I am not asking for that but if puppy does not get a lot closer to that it will become a distro for geeks only.

I would love to put puppy on 90% of the computers I work on because it does everything most people need it to ,including me, it is super fast, easy and fast to reinstall if it blows up , finds and installs the hardware automatically but there is the printer problem which kills the deal. I am in position to get more people to use it than most but like you if I say what is on my mind someone will take it personally .
It's not personal , it is the truth.
If there is something I could do to help bring that about I would .
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Frank Cox

Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 21:59    Post_subject:  

jemimah wrote:
This is one reason I removed printing from the base system to it's own SFS for my puplets. I should be able to include all the drivers, the rather large Ghostscript 9, and the various bug fixes needed to make them work.

The end result is larger if you need to print, but it's less hassle.


Is it possible to have an sfs or maybe a few if necessary with lots of drivers and then once you find which one you need remove the ones you don't as with Scottmans tiny distro? Or perhaps install that driver and unmount the sfs?

Sorry if these questions are silly but I really think the problem needs to be addressed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3454
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 22:30    Post_subject:  

" it is super fast, easy and fast to reinstall if it blows up ,
finds and installs the hardware automatically but there is
the printer problem which kills the deal. "

Yeah! but Ubuntu is a pig.
Can't have it both ways.

""""""""""""

But I liked your suggestion.

" Is it possible to have an sfs or maybe a few if necessary with lots
of drivers "

And maybe a better suggestion.

Add to that network and USB modem drivers.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 22:37    Post_subject:  

Jeez. Why are you over here bitching when you could be back on your other thread solving your problem? There is an entire thread dedicated to installing printers in Puppy and two PETs specifically built for your printer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3454
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 22:53    Post_subject:  

rcrsn5:

Just drifted into this thread so I'm not sure what his issues are.

Between you, tempestuous , rerwin and many others...
you are the unseen and unsung heroes of Puppy.

So no disrespect from me...OK.

The suggestion of a >> sfs package... wasn't a bad idea.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Frank Cox

Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 01:15    Post_subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
" it is super fast, easy and fast to reinstall if it blows up ,
finds and installs the hardware automatically but there is
the printer problem which kills the deal. "

Yeah! but Ubuntu is a pig.
Can't have it both ways.

""""""""""""

But I liked your suggestion.

" Is it possible to have an sfs or maybe a few if necessary with lots
of drivers "

And maybe a better suggestion.

Add to that network and USB modem drivers.

Chris.


I did say Ubuntu was a pig and that I preferred puppy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Frank Cox

Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 02:11    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jeez. Why are you over here bitching when you could be back on your other thread solving your problem? There is an entire thread dedicated to installing printers in Puppy and two PETs specifically built for your printer.

I just ran into this one looking for a solution and seen the way he was being treated for just stating his case , he likes puppy too so why be unfriendly? Why be unfriendly if he dosen't? He is in a position to promote puppy and says he can't until this situation improves, he was trying to help and gets talked down to . Read the book, how to win friends and influence people .

Jeff has done a lot to make esword easy to install in puppy and so have David K. and Jonathan on the Ubuntu forum and they work together .
Maybe if people who use Linux were more like that everyone would benefit. Competition improves the breed but hating your rivals is pretty __________fill in the blank.

If the pets were as lovely as you say the printer would work already.
Your not really doing a great job of encouraging people to use puppy when you scold them and insinuate they have not made the effort or tried your solutions.
I am not bitching , just stating facts. I have installed more than a few printers drivers trying to get HP printers to work in Puppy and it is a fact that other distros are better [infinately better} at this than puppy.
No way the average person would still be here after all the hassle , that is a fact. I am still here but I have thick skin.
Why the hostility? As i said someone would take it personally.

As I said I have more opportunity than most to get people started on Linux and I would prefer it was puppy most of the time but the fact is I can't spend hours to get a printer working . I love challenges and rarely ever give up on a project but I make my living getting Windows boxes running and the best way to do that is nuke windows and install Linux.
I wish it was puppy but at this point in time unless they have an Epson I have no choice but to install one of the Ubuntus .
I don't mind compiling the driver if I have to but I had no idea where to get the files it asks for and I spent more than an hour looking .
Do you know were to get this?

./getweb 1215 # Get HP Color LaserJet CP1215 .ICM files

I had to find another forum where someone did because no one here even acknowledged my question. I will try the pets again, even the one that lists all the printers it is for and the 1215 is not among them.
But please be polite and answer this question.

What is weird is I think it was the same person.

if you want to see it look here:
http://pastebin.com/TnkZ7kEH

You will have to scroll to the very bottom to get the instructions for another printer w/ foo2hp



If someone was trying Linux for the first time and you told them that printer drivers can toast your install but go ahead and use this pet that clearly says it won't work what do you think their reaction would be?
I was told to use that driver and when I checked the link provided the 1215 was not there . I tried it anyway, it did not work .I will try it again just to make you happy and then I will go ahead and compile the driver fron scratch. If not I will have to make dialup work in Ubuntu which is a pain but no where near the pain getting printers to work in puppy is.
The people on the Ubuntu forums taught me how to do that and they never talked down to me . You could learn from them.

And the worst part is I this is the first Linux install I ever did for a customer and I set up his Epson in maybe 15 minutes and it worked well until the machine broke . He called me and asked me what printer to buy and I told him the 1215 colorlaserjet is what I was going to buy when mine cratered. If I can't get it working I have to switch him to Ubuntu and set up the modem , the printer will be a no-brainer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 08:16    Post_subject:  

If you take the time to follow the links in this discussion, they will lead you to this:
horhota wrote:
Thanks, rcrsn51. I tried the PET file and it worked in PuppyLinux 5.2. I downloaded the file and then just clicked on its icon and it said that it installed properly. ... It would seem to me that PET files are the way to go when installing a printer. Up to now, my attempts to install printers were complicated and frustrating - something that I could never suggest to others. The PET files provide a very simple and user friendly solution that I can recommend! Thanks again for your support and suggestions.

We all understand that Puppy in not Ubuntu. But the majority of newcomers get their printers installed if they ask the appropriate questions, follow the instructions and provide some useful feedback.

Just saying "It didn't work" is not useful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Moose On The Loose


Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 535

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:56    Post_subject:  

jemimah wrote:
This is one reason I removed printing from the base system to it's own SFS for my puplets. I should be able to include all the drivers, the rather large Ghostscript 9, and the various bug fixes needed to make them work.

The end result is larger if you need to print, but it's less hassle.


Here's a slightly insane thought of a whole bunch of extra work you could do:

We already have the ability to switch in and out SFS files on the fly. The remaster script creates an SFS so we know how to do that too. The cups configuration is simple ascii so it is fairly easy to parse.

Once the user is all happy with the printing, you could make a new SFS containing only the parts he is using and switch over to that. This would have to be some sort of a tool to "shrink to only needed printing" with a switch to flip it back. When it comes time to remaster, the user could make a CD that is only big enough to work the printers he wants.

I offer this idea only as a solution to a problem you may not have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Frank Cox

Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 14:13    Post_subject: Can't we all just get along?  

Quote:

Just saying "It didn't work" is not useful.


What would like to me to say? I installed the pets, I typed in localhost:631
and set up the printer and then told it to print a test page , nothing happened.
I will be tickled pink to give you what ever info you want but it seems a lot of people here would rather scold the person trying to use puppy than consider maybe , just maybe, they followed instructions and it just did not work.

I really appreciate people like you who try and help and I know it can be very frustrating at times. It works both ways. When I find a product that works with puppy I try and spread the news or if there is something i am actually good at I will write a tutorial for it. I do what I can.

I have gone over the page you suggested and for the life of me the only printer list I find for the fooxxx pet does not include mine. Tomorrow I will try again and install that one and the other you suggested with fresh installs. I am not a newbie with computers , just with Linux and I have learned a little in the last year and a half I have been using it so I can do pretty much anything I have instructions for but I can't read the mind of a person who tells me my printer is on a list when it just is not there.
Is it too much to just add a note saying to use it with the 1215?

I really hope it works because I do not want to have to compile the driver from scratch . I agree that if the pets work that is the best for most people but I am willing to compile them if i have to , i already would have if I had better instructions as to where to obtain the .icm files I think they are called.

Seriously, thank you for all your efforts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Okeh

Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 09:33    Post_subject:  

I'm pretty new to this. I got a Canon MX300 working with Wary with a minimum of fuss. The Canon/windows interface for this multifunction printer is slow bloated and a PITA. By contrast everything in Puppy is light and simple.

And I got an ancient NEC 660i printer working with an even older desktop running Puppy 4.3.1.

So I'm actually impressed with Puppy and the printer support. It takes a bit of reading and fiddling about but things can be made to work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:06    Post_subject:  

Glad to hear that you got it working. But do you have an MX300 or an MX330? I couldn't find Linux drivers for the MX300.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Okeh

Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 11:24    Post_subject:  

I got the MX300 working via cups. So I don't have all of the toner low warnings etc that go with the windows software for this printer and the scanner functions I control via the builtin scanner programs in Wary. That's no problem as far as I'm concerned. I had given up using the Canon interface in Windows anyways and had gone to a freeware program for the scanning functions because it was lighter and quicker. Windows is now mostly a thing of the past - except for at work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 12:25    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I got the MX300 working via cups.

My mistake. I didn't realize that newer Puppies have a built-in Gutenprint driver for the MX300.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0998s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0043s) ][ GZIP on ]