Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 20:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 5.20 PDF printing error (semi-solved -- strange bug)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Author Message
jon4t2


Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Kent, Ohio

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 20:19    Post_subject:  

Roy wrote:
If I remember correctly, the work-around or fix for creating (printing to file) a .pdf document with a changed host name was to add a blank file named .Xauthority to root (the period before the file name indicating that it is a hidden file).

-Roy


Roy's fix works again!

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
wuwei


Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 774
Location: de

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr 2011, 02:22    Post_subject:  

Roy wrote:
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the work-around or fix for creating (printing to file) a .pdf document with a changed host name was to add a blank file named .Xauthority to root (the period before the file name indicating that it is a hidden file).


Careful....!

At least in Wary 511 this fix causes gdmap to crash.

This instruction, however, works in Wary without affecting gdmap:

rcrsn51:
Quote:
Go to /usr/lib/cups/backend and open the file pdf-writer. Line 69 is
Code:
PUPPY_LINUX=`uname -a | grep -ic puppy`

Change "puppy" to the new hostname. Don't accidentally delete the final back-tick character.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
night_mare007

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2011, 09:10    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Try this:

Go to /usr/lib/cups/backend and open the file pdf-writer. Line 69 is
Code:
PUPPY_LINUX=`uname -a | grep -ic puppy`

Change "puppy" to the new hostname. Don't accidentally delete the final back-tick character.

I'm not sure why the code was written that way. It appears to have something to do with remote printing.


On Puppy Lucid 5.25 ( Macpup 5.25 ) this solution solve the problem.
I even made It better...
dosn't just change your user name to your current but change it to the letter "1"... so no matter what's your puppy user name - it will work always.
so you need to have this line look like this:
Code:
PUPPY_LINUX=`uname -a | grep -ic 1`


after the change, save, and restartX.

that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
theinfamousj

Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2011, 14:48    Post_subject: THANK YOU!  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Try this:

Go to /usr/lib/cups/backend and open the file pdf-writer. Line 69 is
Code:
PUPPY_LINUX=`uname -a | grep -ic puppy`

Change "puppy" to the new hostname. Don't accidentally delete the final back-tick character.

I'm not sure why the code was written that way. It appears to have something to do with remote printing.


I just wanted to let you know that you are a life-saving genius. I have never been able to get the CUPS PDF to work with any Puppy install I have ever done, and this is both the reason and the fix. Oh to be able to print to PDF without having to do a Print to File thing. Happiness. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9260
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2011, 15:19    Post_subject:  

Why did you change the host name in the first place?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0547s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0043s) ][ GZIP on ]