Puppy 520 Wallpaper problem ver 6.1 <SOLVED>

Please post any bugs you have found
8-bit

Puppy 520 Wallpaper problem ver 6.1 <SOLVED>

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I was playing around and got a picture from Nathan's photo collection.
It contained 2 pictures side by side in the image. I cropped it and saved the resulting image.
I then thought I would try it as wallpaper.
I fired up Nathan's Wallpaper Setter and changed by background image to the new one.
So far, so good.
I then selected my original wallpaper file and tried applying it.
I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but my original wallpaper file was called "dirty_beach.jpg"
When I tried to pick it and hit apply, it also locked up Nathans Wallpaper Setter so that I had to exit and restart it. Also, I tried it again after copying the file from a backup and so the bug is repeatable.
This is where the problem developed.
I was greeted with a blank background and the file size of that file had dropped to zero.
I did not let it bug me and copied over the file from a backup.
I was able to view it fine when clicking on it.
But...
When I again tried to set it as my wallpaper while a blank background was displayed the file size again dropped to zero.
I finally was able to get my background back by coping my original wallpaper background over while renaming it.
That worked.
But what caused this strange behavior?
Last edited by 8-bit on Thu 15 Sep 2011, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

wuwei

#2 Post by wuwei »

Adding, renaming and deleting backgrounds are better done directly in the folder that contains the wallpapers:
/usr/share/backgrounds.

Do all your maintenance there and use Nathan's ONLY for the selection of wallpapers.
That should help you avoid those problems.

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

The point here is that I was using only the /usr/share/backgrounds folder and I was only using nathan wallpaper switcher.
I di have pwidgets installed. But that should cause no problems.
All the background files were jpg files when I went to change wallpapers.
I changed to one to see what it would look like.
I did not like it, so I went to change back to my original and that is when I got a message saying it was not a valid jpg file and gave me a blank background.
When I chose another, it also failed to load with the same message.
Both file were valid jpg files before that.
I restored the bad files to the original directory and used Simple Wallpaper Setter and was able to get my background back.
Something is not right and I do not know what.
I went so far as to uninstall the Nathan Wallpaper Pet and installed the newest version and when I tried it, the same thing happened.
I also posted the terminal readout I got when running it.
It started with "stack underflow"

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

I went back and deleted the original /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper folder and copied over the one from Puppy Lucid 528.
The problem has not resurfaced so far, so it could be a matter of some corrupted files.
Till I do some further testing, I am considering this solved.