aMSN can use Thai both in LUPU520 and WARY5.1.1

#16 Post by kitkunthon »

:D
now I found that
If use Thai will not use UTF-8 Fonts

May be with other language

GustavoYz

#17 Post by GustavoYz »

Exactly, but it was a question or an assumption?
UTF-8 codifications for some oriental languages make everything bigger in size and weight too.

pacer106

how to install these?

#18 Post by pacer106 »

im really new to linux & puppy linux. ive been tryin to figure out how to install these onto my puppy lucid 5.2.5 & when i download all 3 of them they go from a .pet package to .gz package. i did what i was told in a few things ive read which was to unzip them & that just took the .gz off it seems & nothing was installed. i have all 3 now in a folder but can not figure out how to install when i right click all it seems to want to do is repack them in a .tar.gz package so if someone anyone could tell me exactly how to install this amsn & its dependancies id very much appreciate it.

Makoto

#19 Post by Makoto »

Some browsers apparently look at the content of the file being downloaded, and "helpfully" add an extension, for whatever reason. In your case, do .pet files somehow become .pet.gz files after you've downloaded them? If so, rename the file and remove the ".gz" (so that it's just .pet, again) before clicking on it to install it.

(Do this on the original versions of the files you've downloaded. The versions of the files that have been 'decompressed,' removing the .gz that way, may have been corrupted in some way.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

pacer106

thanks

#20 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the reply Makoto i will give that a try :) i did download them from this thread on a xp so it makes sense that it might do somethin like that. i will download them from the lucid puppy & see how that goes. again thanks for takin the time to answerin me its very appreciated :) i do my best to figure everything out on my own but this 1 confused me lol.

pacer106

partially figured out

#21 Post by pacer106 »

i managed to download the tcl pet & tk pet both installed ended up gettin them from alternate link they stayed as .pet format. the amsn however does not stay as a .pet the download site says its a .tar.gz type but the file name on the site says .pet when i download it with opera browser on puppy it still only offers the downloaded version as a .gz not .tar.gz as it says on the download site. i click on the .gz & it unpacks the file and just becomes amsn no extention or anything i click on it and it just offers to repack. im guessin there is somethin im missin here any more info would be great & thanks in advance :)

WOOOHOOO! i figured it out and im sorry i didnt think of this sooner. as i said i tried getting the pets with opera browser i also tried using puppy browser but it didnt want to download them. anyway i went back to my windows & use another browser & got it to download as a .pet so all is well im installing amsn now & hopefully it works. thanks again for the info & pointers :)

Makoto

#22 Post by Makoto »

.pet files actually are .tar.gz files, so if a .pet file downloads with a .tar.gz extension rather than .pet, go ahead and rename it back to .pet. :D

(Though, to be honest, I can't say I've seen a browser replace the .pet extension with .tar.gz. :shock: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

pacer106

Very Strange

#23 Post by pacer106 »

that was my thought exactly makoto. i originally downloaded it with opera browser on windoze xp and the switch happened. i then tried it on puppy with opera and same thing so i was confused went back to xp & used IE and got the .pet confused me even more. so tried 4 or 5 browsers on puppy none of them would do a .pet all changed it to .tar.gz i tried firefox, chromium, puppy browser, mirdori, iron & opera all on lucid puppy all didnt download it right so as i said i was confused lol. your advice helped though so thanks makoto i got it installed & its workin :)