Remastering Live CD

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
chapchap70

Remastering Live CD

#1 Post by chapchap70 »

Hi,

I have been playing around with the remaster live cd program in Puppy 5.1.1. If I put some pictures and programs in it, it adds some space but I could put some more stuff on the CD. If I save stuff on an open CD instead of my USB or hard drive, it boots up slower.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to burn music into the open space on the CD and if so, how you did it. I will try with a RW CD to see what happens. I was thinking if it is possible even to put two partitions in the CD so it will not slow down boot time. I was thinking of giving out a puppy CD that can be booted but also having the CD be able to play from a CD player. If I put the songs in the save file, it would boot slower and I don't see how it would be able to play from a CD Player. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You don't need to remaster. Just burn a multisession disk and add stuff to it (including programs and changed settings.) Only the stuff you save from within Puppy will be loaded when the disk boots. Stuff added outside of Puppy (see below for details) will be ignored by Puppy when it boots, but will be accessible by mounting the multisession CD or DVD after it has finished booting. However, I doubt that you'll be able to make a multisession CD that will also play music in a regular CD player. That's just asking too much. :lol:

You can burn a multisession CD or DVD two ways in Puppy. (A CD works fine for multisession but DVD works better.) Either way, a rewritable disk will save making a lot of coasters while you figure everything out.

You can burn a multisession CD or DVD with either Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd or Menu -> Multimedia -> Pburn. Burniso2cd may be easier to use for a beginner because it gives you no choice, it only burns multisession disks.

After you have a multisession disk, read this thread to see how you can save extra stuff on it outside the OS.

chapchap70

#3 Post by chapchap70 »

Thanks Flash,

If I remember correctly, while saving my settings to CD, I think the default save was a date and time. I did not even try to change it so I was saving more sessions than I needed to. Obviously, I figured the more sessions I saved, the more time it would take to boot so I dismissed this wrongly as a useful tool. :oops:

I'll have to look more into this.