Issues with Puppy 5.2 in laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
SC0U6

#16 Post by SC0U6 »

_Mark_

Great work! I did what you said and when in the end i typed in "thinkfan -n", fan silenced instantly!

Now it starts from 55c and stops at 47c, which is by default. I can set it to start from 60c from the config file, right?

Few questions remains, probably at every shutdown script is unloaded and i have to type it again every startup, which line is needed and where its to be inserted?

At shutdown, it says feq lines /etc/ibm/thinkpad smth file is not found and then shutdowns normally, later in the evening i can tell exact line.

_Mark_

#17 Post by _Mark_ »

glad it worked for you

I am working on a .pet for this that will install all the config and start at boot, still got a few kinks to fix will upload when it's done

SC0U6

#18 Post by SC0U6 »

Great!

If it isnt too much work, could you throw in additional config file, which starts fan when temp reaches 65 and switches off at 60? Otherwise fan would be running even while youtube videos play.

Thanks again.

_Mark_

#19 Post by _Mark_ »

SC0U6 wrote:Great!

If it isnt too much work, could you throw in additional config file, which starts fan when temp reaches 65 and switches off at 60? Otherwise fan would be running even while youtube videos play.

Thanks again.
Had a few problems with this so not ready yet.

65 is getting a bit hot, personally I wouldn't want mine to go over 55 if possible I will leave thinkfan.config as standard and let you adjust the temps as you see fit.
I don't want to get accused of frying your thinkpad

_Mark_

#20 Post by _Mark_ »

SC0U6

As you have changed the title to case closed I guess you have found a solution and don't need thinkfan anymore?
Let me know

SC0U6

#21 Post by SC0U6 »

Yes indeed, i found the solution im satisfied with it. But im sure im not the only one who showd intrest in this pet. So when you have motivation and time, it is very welcomed addon.

_Mark_

#22 Post by _Mark_ »

SC0U6 wrote:Yes indeed, i found the solution im satisfied with it. But im sure im not the only one who showd intrest in this pet. So when you have motivation and time, it is very welcomed addon.
Do you mind sharing what the solution was, as thinkfan didn't really work for me, I was doing the pet for experience and to help you out of course

SC0U6

#23 Post by SC0U6 »

Well, i wasnt truly planning to say it out, since its a motivation killer, but if you insist, my soulution was- going back to Windows 7.

Yes i know, but turned out thinkfan was only small problem, there were few others, which couldn`t be resolved without a lot of scripting, that included irda, smartcard reader and my printer, which driver wasnt made for any linux distro (i could surely compile one myself!!). And for thinkfan, in windows theres only one small exe file that will sit in the tray and solve all the problems, of course other HW problems are inexistent as well.

So i guess linux wasn´t best choise for old laptop, on a desktop 95% of a problems wouldn`t exist.

But again, Puppys community is one of the biggest among ram-based linuxes, so i belive there are others struggling with same problems, so if you can get working pet for fan issues you will receive much positive feedback!

_Mark_

#24 Post by _Mark_ »

SC0U6 wrote:Well, i wasnt truly planning to say it out, since its a motivation killer, but if you insist, my soulution was- going back to Windows 7.

Yes i know, but turned out thinkfan was only small problem, there were few others, which couldn`t be resolved without a lot of scripting, that included irda, smartcard reader and my printer, which driver wasnt made for any linux distro (i could surely compile one myself!!). And for thinkfan, in windows theres only one small exe file that will sit in the tray and solve all the problems, of course other HW problems are inexistent as well.

So i guess linux wasn´t best choise for old laptop, on a desktop 95% of a problems wouldn`t exist.

But again, Puppys community is one of the biggest among ram-based linuxes, so i belive there are others struggling with same problems, so if you can get working pet for fan issues you will receive much positive feedback!
No it's no problem to me, whatever works for you

I have finished the pet now, just gonna test it is lucid pup and will post it if anyone maybe interested

Uden

Re: Issues with Puppy 5.2 in laptop

#25 Post by Uden »

SC0U6 wrote:So, i installed 5.2 distro and now i have run into few issues, which were non-existent in Mint 10.

1. Fan is almost always on (well, this has been issue with all OS-es), i tried downloading the pet package for IBM fan, but this program seems not to alter fanspeed at all, doesnt matter which speed i choose.
Hi all,
i have the same 'problem'; the fan is running constantly. It never stops or changes speed.
The real problem is that this drains the battery pack...

Setup: Puppy5.2 on a HP G62 laptop (with AMD Athlon dual core processor).
With no applicatrions running except Chrome browser, the temperature is at about 50 degrees Celcius (with 18C room temperature). With PWidgets added, the temperature goes to around 55C.
I changed the cpu frequency to "on demand"; no changes.

These temperatures seem to be high. When i run Windows 7 (i have a dual boot setup), the temperatures (default windows 7 + chrome browser) remain at about 40C.

Is this normal? What causes Puppy to create so much heat?

Uden

#26 Post by Uden »

Some additional info after running sensors-detect (i removed the 'negatives') that may help:

# sensors-detect
# sensors-detect revision 5818 (2010-01-18 17:22:07 +0100)
# System: Hewlett-Packard HP G62 Notebook PC (laptop)
# Board: Hewlett-Packard 143C

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no):
AMD Family 10h thermal sensors... Success!
(driver `k10temp')

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Trying family `National Semiconductor'... Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x8502

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no):
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290... No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290... No

Driver `k10temp' (autoloaded):
* Chip `AMD Family 10h thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)

Insomniacno1

Fancontrol?

#27 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi Mark, I know this is an old thread now but it is still valid for most of us who run Puppy on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads - So I have to ask if you ever got that pet to work and if you continued the work through newer versions of puppy?

There is a tool that works better than thinkfan its tpfand

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... an_Control

https://launchpad.net/~vl-sht/+archive/ubuntu/tpfanco

https://code.google.com/archive/p/tpfan ... s/FAQ.wiki

https://github.com/tpfanco/tpfanco-legacy

https://github.com/tpfanco/tpfanco-legacy/wiki/Install

https://code.google.com/archive/p/tpfanco/wikis

Much newer version, but I have not tried it
https://github.com/tpfanco/tpfancod

Unfortunately it does not have .pet or sfs files, so in order to make it work you manually have to download all the dependencies(some not in PPM) until it suddently works, and you have to set up thinkfan with all the conf files before tpfand will work(this is not mentioned in their Readme).

I have attached the ones that I used to make my T61 work.

When modified they may work for others - but be carefull.

There are also conf files for thinkfan and a list of dependencies for tpfand, and the tpfand folder you have to compile yourself + allready made .deb files.
Problem with the .deb files is that they do NOT install the dependencies - you have to do that.

I have not been able to get tpfan-admin to work. It installs ok and is located in system menu, but will not start from the menu.

I got it working on Precise 5.7.1 but that was a fluke, because I cannot do it again - I just experimented until it worked. Now my laptop(T61) is no longer overheating and fan runs 5500 rpm until 55C then goes to HW control. Though as I said above the tpfan-admin does not work, so if I want to change the values then I have to manually edit tpfand.conf in /etc and restart the laptop.

I don't know how to compile - so cant do it myself, unless I have a complete guide:)

I'm hoping a kind soul will take all of this and make a .pet file that just work on all puppy versions.

With kind regards

JBJ
Attachments
Tpfand.part2.rar
(187.93 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Tpfand.part1.rar
(195.31 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Thinkfan.part5.rar
(38 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Thinkfan.part4.rar
(195.31 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Thinkfan.part3.rar