puppy-520: Kernel panic following boot: puppy pfix=ram

Please post any bugs you have found
bertiec

puppy-520: Kernel panic following boot: puppy pfix=ram

#1 Post by bertiec »

Mine is not a dual boot System. My disk is partitioned and sda1 is ext3 formatted - 37GB
with a Linux swap partition on sda5 - 1.6 GB.
I can boot up happily onto a cd containing puppy-511 with both the puppy sfs and my own, larger, sfs.

1)I attempted to follow rcrsn51's article: How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy.
With the puppy-522 cd inserted in my laptop. I switched on and entered
puppy pfix=ram
at the boot prompt.

After the message: "performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem..."
the next message was "Kernel panic - root not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"
I had to withdraw the power lead and eject and reinsert the battery before I could boot again - successfully with the puppy-511 cd.
My bios boot sequence is 1)hd, 2) cdrom but presently my compaq laptop refuses to
boot from hd. - I need to have my cd (with puppy-511) inserted. This may be because
my MBR is not right for Linux.

2) I again tried booting off the Puppy-520 cd. This time without entering anything at the
boot prompt. Again I had the same kernel panic message, only further along - after telling me that it was about to save the old sfs in /tmp. (It never did.)

playdayz

Re: puppy-520: Kernel panic following boot: puppy pfix=ram

#2 Post by playdayz »

You will often get a kernel panic if the cd is bad. I think you mean Lucid 5.20 rather than "puppy-522."

If Puppy has written a bad lupu-520.sfs to the hard disk you can also get a kernel panic because when lupu-520 boots it will read the sfs on disk if it is there even if it is bad.. I would boot 511 and make sure there is nothing like that on your hard disk. Can the hard disk be read at all by the way.
after telling me that it was about to save the old sfs in /tmp. (It never did.)[
This tells me that something of the sort is happening.
bertiec wrote:Mine is not a dual boot System. My disk is partitioned and sda1 is ext3 formatted - 37GB
with a Linux swap partition on sda5 - 1.6 GB.
I can boot up happily onto a cd containing puppy-511 with both the puppy sfs and my own, larger, sfs.

1)I attempted to follow rcrsn51's article: How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy.
With the puppy-522 cd inserted in my laptop. I switched on and entered
puppy pfix=ram
at the boot prompt.

After the message: "performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem..."
the next message was "Kernel panic - root not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"
I had to withdraw the power lead and eject and reinsert the battery before I could boot again - successfully with the puppy-511 cd.
My bios boot sequence is 1)hd, 2) cdrom but presently my compaq laptop refuses to
boot from hd. - I need to have my cd (with puppy-511) inserted. This may be because
my MBR is not right for Linux.

2) I again tried booting off the Puppy-520 cd. This time without entering anything at the
boot prompt. Again I had the same kernel panic message, only further along - after telling me that it was about to save the old sfs in /tmp. (It never did.)

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

My bios boot sequence is 1)hd, 2) cdrom but presently my compaq laptop refuses to boot from hd. - I need to have my cd (with puppy-511) inserted. This may be because my MBR is not right for Linux.
The One-Click Installer replaces the MBR with the right code for Linux.

Did you do a full or frugal install?

Boot again off the CD using "puppy pfix=ram" and mount the hard drive partition. Delete any files you find. Then try to boot normally off the CD.

bertiec

#4 Post by bertiec »

To playdayz:
My one reference to puppy-522 was a typo. Should have been puppy-520

By the way, thanks to Steve Litt's script, I could do an md5sum of the .iso on the RD-WR
CD disk. Its still the same as the downloaded file.

To rcrsn51:
I'm not understanding you: How do I get to the point of being able mount the hard drive
partition after being bombed out straightaway by that kernel panic - and before even being able to choose between Frugal or Full?

Maybe I should boot under my Slackware or Ubuntu CD just to repartion the hard drive before trying puppy-520 again.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Did you try the one-click installer with the Puppy CD that does boot?

bertiec

#6 Post by bertiec »

No, rcrsn51, I did not try the one-click installer on my bootable puppy-511 cd.

The main reason I had for upgrading puppy was that I thought it might correct a problem
I was having with my video driver or with my xorg.conf. (You may remember adviising me about it.) Mysteriously, that problem has gone away! - But I decided to upgrade anyway.

Before trying the puppy-520 install I first installed Ubuntu just to get an ext3 formatted hard disk. I'm not sure, but I think I also ran a command to force a Windows MBR onto
the hard disk. This hasn't stopped my puppy-511 cd from booting but it just may have something to do with the kernel panic under puppy-520. - I'm getting that panic even when I just press RETURN in response to the boot prompt, i.e. when I do'nt attempt the one-click hd install

To prove that I do have a Linux-formatted hd, this is the output of 'fdisk -l' commanded on my puppy-511 system:-

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 4659 37423386 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 4660 4864 1646662+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 4660 4864 1646631 82 Linux swap / Solaris