Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

#406 Post by rerwin »

divisionmd,
Since frisbee is designed to run in a graphical environment, it depends on X being active.

However, once you have used it to set up a connection, maybe its setup would persist across a reboot where you could try the "pfix=nox" boot option. Maybe the connection would be made. But you could not change anything about it without frisbee in an X environment. I have never attempted that, although you might. But it would run into trouble if it needed to issue a graphical message/popup.
Richard

rbrehton

I have wary 5.5

#407 Post by rbrehton »

I have wary 5.5. I was able to install xpupsay, but the frisbee for wary 5.3 won't install.

The download link for Frisbee+xpupsay-beta2-0912.pet version 1 isn't working for me. Is it available now somewhere else?

Or is there a Frisbee that will install in wary 5.5? thanks

peebee

Re: I have wary 5.5

#408 Post by peebee »

rbrehton wrote:I have wary 5.5. I was able to install xpupsay, but the frisbee for wary 5.3 won't install.

The download link for Frisbee+xpupsay-beta2-0912.pet version 1 isn't working for me. Is it available now somewhere else?

Or is there a Frisbee that will install in wary 5.5? thanks
This is a forum issue - all attachments greater than 256kb became unavailable some time ago without notice.

I don't think I have that pet any longer - but if I do locate it I'll post a link here.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rbrehton

#409 Post by rbrehton »

Ok, thanks

peebee

#410 Post by peebee »

You're lucky that I never throw anything away.....

https://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/ ... 2-0912.pet
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rbrehton

#411 Post by rbrehton »

peebee wrote:You're lucky that I never throw anything away.....

https://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/ ... 2-0912.pet
I appreciate it very much , thanks.

UPDATE: Installed and worked without a problem, thanks again.

bobc

Would it be possible for Frisbee to work with Slackware?

#412 Post by bobc »

I have used it with Slacko Pup 5.7.0, so I was wondering if I could find a source tarball someplace so I could try running it on my slackware distro?

Let me know if you know, and where I could find it, please?

bobc

nevermind

#413 Post by bobc »

I'm thinking maybe I'm wasting time messing with it and I'd be better off spending the same effort tweaking Slacko Pup 5.7.0 because it already does most things I'm asking for.

Semme

#414 Post by Semme »

Hey Bob, you're aware of this, right?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rerwin

Pgprs updated to version 1.5.1

#415 Post by rerwin »

My reworked version of pgprs-1.5 has a bug that impacts anyone attempting to use it where a username and password are not expected to be included. Earlier versions required all fields to contain something so required dummy entries for username, password and PIN code (gprsuser, gprspassword, 1234) even if they were not valid for the modem.

Version 1.5 avoids the need for those dummy values but incorrectly retains logic to require the username and password. The replacement, 1.5.1, changes that requirement to allow both or neither. If anyone knows of a case where only a username or password is appropriate, please tell me.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#757398
Richard

rerwin

frisbee-1.3.2 uploaded to correct restarting of network

#416 Post by rerwin »

I just now discovered and fixed a typo that prevented the "Restart Networks" and "Restart DHCP" buttons from performing their restarts. Frisbee-1.3.2 is with the earlier 1.3.x frisbees at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#780962

However, the fix can be made manually to versions 1.3 and 1.3.1 by editing the file:

/usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-disconnect

line 5 (changing the "-" to "_") to read:

reset_dhcp&

This does not affect versions of frisbee before 1.3.
Richard

hamoudoudou

Frisbee installed Puppy 4.3.1

#417 Post by hamoudoudou »

How do you remove builtin Pwireless as Frisbee goes well ?
I trashed what i found with Pfind, but it's not a clean way.
Attachments
pwireless.png
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

rerwin

Updated frisbee and dhcpcd packages

#418 Post by rerwin »

I have built new frisbee and dhcp packages for Tahrpup, Precise and Slacko. I have tested wireless only on tahrpup, but verified that the others support ethernet. Although the Precise version appears to run on Tahrpup, the Tahrpup version will not run on Precise nor Slacko.

The main improvement to the frisbee-1.3.3 package is that the user's existing wireless and frisbee setups are retained during installation, thanks to 666philb's calling my attention to that issue. The configuration files, dhcpcd.conf, frisbee.conf and wpa_supplicant.conf, are not replaced if present. Frisbee.conf gets updated, if necessary, to append new statements. Other than the settings issue, the functionality remains the same as in 1.3.2.

The dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 is the current release at this time and includes a wait of up to 3 seconds for a lost carrier (connection) to get re-detected. This occurs for all network managers, not just frisbee. The old "dropwait" value option has been removed in the 1.3 frisbees -- one less variable to attend to.

Besides the puppy-specific "dropwait" versions of the dhcpcd packages, I include an "original" version of dhcpcd without the dropwait patch -- for tahrpup and later, only -- in case a developer prefers to omit the dropwait feature. I also include the source packages, which contain README-* files that explain how to build the pets.

The previously offered workaround for the automatic "hot plug" start up of wpa_supplicant for added USB wifi devices is no longer needed. Because puppy's network managers were designed without that automatic starting of wpa_supplicant, I have removed the new "hook" file, 10-wpa_supplicant, from the dhcpcd packages. To test any network manager that might be modified to handle the new dhcpcd feature, that file can be obtained from the source package's dhcpcd-hooks directory.

As always, please report any misbehavior of frisbee or dhcpcd so that I might address it.
Richard

UPDATE 4/10/2015: Uploaded frisbee-1.3.4 to incorporate recommendation by rcrsn51 to prevent shutdown hang when frisbee and samba used concurrently.

UPDATE 4/26/2015: Re-uploaded frisbee-1.3.4, after download number 20, to correct the version number displayed in its window title. As there is no functional change, individuals need not replace the original "1.3.4" -- but distro developers should take it for the next update of their distros.
Attachments
frisbee-1.3.4-20150426.pet
Frisbee 1.3.3 patched to avoid shutdown conflict with samba.
(33.9 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
frisbee-1.3.3-20150304.pet
Frisbee 1.3 installable as update retaining current settings
(33.82 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-i686.pet
Dropwait version for Tahrpup and newer puppies
(125.14 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-precise-i686.pet
Dropwait version for Precise puppies
(129.17 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-slacko-i686.pet
Dropwait version for Slacko puppies
(124.47 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-i686.pet
Original version compiled in Tahrpup.
Not usable in Precise and Slacko puppies.
(125.08 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Re: Frisbee installed Puppy 4.3.1

#419 Post by rerwin »

hamoudoudou wrote:How do you remove builtin Pwireless as Frisbee goes well ?
I trashed what i found with Pfind, but it's not a clean way.
hamoudoudou,
Your screeny tells me your are using Pwireless2. I found the thread for that here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 371#360694

I downloaded the pet package and listed its files.

To answer your question: If you have installed either pwireless or Pwireless2, then uninstall them. But I assume it is more complex than that. Since my copy of Puppy 4.3.1 does not contain Pwireless2, my guess is that you are using a remastered version that has Pwireless added.

Here is an edited list of the files I found, which would be candidates for removal -- but only if they are not needed by Frisbee.

Code: Select all

pwireless2-1.0/etc/init.d:
Pwireless2 [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]

pwireless2-1.0/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks: [Keep files if needed by Frisbee.]
01-test
10-mtu
20-resolv.conf
29-lookup-hostname
30-hostname
99-dhcpup
99-down
99-ifup
99-release
99-stop
99-timeout
99-up

pwireless2-1.0/root/Startup:
pwireless2-tray [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/local:
Pwireless2 [Can deactivate by renaming this directory.]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/local/bin:
gtrayicon [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]
Pwireless2 [Can deactivate by removing "execute" permissions.]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/local/sbin: [Keep files if needed by Frisbee; otherwise, rename them.]
dhcpcd
wpa_cli
wpa_supplicant

pwireless2-1.0/usr/share/applications:
Pwireless2.desktop [Rename to change "desktop" to something else.]

[These should do no harm if left intact...]
pwireless2-1.0/usr/share/gtrayicon:
activate.svg
ChangeLog
deactivate.svg
gtrayicon.glade
LICENSE
README
sample.menu

pwireless2-1.0/usr/share:
gtrayicon [entire directory, if no remaining files]

pwireless2-1.0/usr/share/pixmaps:
network-offline.png
network-transmit-receive.png
network-wireless.png
Instead of deleting the files, you can remove "execute" permissions or rename files or directories as indicated in the statements bounded by "[" and "]".

You should probably experiment with a separate pupsave file where you first delete the Pwireless2 files in the list, then install the Frisbee beta package that seems to work for you.

Please be aware, though, that Pwireless and the Frisbee beta packages are beyond what I take responsibility for -- I maintain only frisbee-1.0 and later. HTH
Richard

hamoudoudou

Desactivate Pwireless i/o removing

#420 Post by hamoudoudou »

it's the french Puppy named 'Toutou'with pwireless included. Desactivate pwireless instead of removing is the idea. Ok i will do as you suggest.
The icons were still in the tool bar because i did'nt scratch everything.
Remove builtin apps is not in the menu of this Puppy. (or i did'nt see it)
Thanks rerwin.

peebee

#421 Post by peebee »

Used Frisbee-1.3.1 in 666philb's new vividpup.....

Pleased to see that the long delay between finishing the connection and getting the confirm default screen seems to have gone.

Had a problem in that a connection was established but neither the tray icon nor the tray popup message reflected this....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture19294.png
(87.8 KiB) Downloaded 1302 times

rerwin

#422 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Used Frisbee-1.3.1 in 666philb's new vividpup.....

Pleased to see that the long delay between finishing the connection and getting the confirm default screen seems to have gone.

Had a problem in that a connection was established but neither the tray icon nor the tray popup message reflected this....
Peebee,
Thanks for your report. Please be sure that file /usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-disconnect is edited to correct the line, "reset-dhcp&" to "reset_dhcp&", or use frisbee-1.3.3, instead (which corrects that problem).

Maybe that will also fix the connection-feedback issue. If not, please send me a pdiag.
R

rerwin

#423 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Used Frisbee-1.3.1 in 666philb's new vividpup.....

After exploring this issue with Peebee by PM, I concluded that a bug in network_tray can make the icon program fail to cycle to obtain changes in the traffic and connectivity! The cycling is controlled by a value set by the cyclic function each time it completes a cycle (every half second) -- except that it never sets a value (TRUE)! The value is whatever happens to be there when the program is running; if it is zero, the cycling fails to occur. The solution is for the function to "return TRUE".

I have updated the 2.7.x version of network_tray and attach it, along with the source tarball and a difference listing that can be converted into a patch file for application to other versions of network_tray.
Richard
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.4-i486.pet
Corrected package, to prevent random failure of network_tray to update its status icon.
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
network_tray-2.7.4.tar.gz
Source tarball
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
diff-network_tray-2.7.4.txt.gz
Differences between 2.7.3 and 2.7.4 -- probably useful for other versions of network_tray.
(904 Bytes) Downloaded 702 times

rcrsn51

#424 Post by rcrsn51 »

@rerwin: You may be interested in the discussion here. I can confirm the bug and the fix at Line 66.

johnywhy

#425 Post by johnywhy »

hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can no longer connect to wifi on a stock Tahrpup.

the frisbee interface loads, and i can see all hotspots in my vicinity. if i try to connect on one, frisbee asks for the password. I enter the correct password, and i see 'wlan0 is down'. Doesn't connect.

i see a wl module already blacklisted.

i'm about to just reinstall puppy to get around this, but would be cool to find a fix.

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]