Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
peebee

#421 Post by peebee »

Used Frisbee-1.3.1 in 666philb's new vividpup.....

Pleased to see that the long delay between finishing the connection and getting the confirm default screen seems to have gone.

Had a problem in that a connection was established but neither the tray icon nor the tray popup message reflected this....

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture19294.png
(87.8 KiB) Downloaded 1302 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#422 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Used Frisbee-1.3.1 in 666philb's new vividpup.....

Pleased to see that the long delay between finishing the connection and getting the confirm default screen seems to have gone.

Had a problem in that a connection was established but neither the tray icon nor the tray popup message reflected this....
Peebee,
Thanks for your report. Please be sure that file /usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-disconnect is edited to correct the line, "reset-dhcp&" to "reset_dhcp&", or use frisbee-1.3.3, instead (which corrects that problem).

Maybe that will also fix the connection-feedback issue. If not, please send me a pdiag.
R

rerwin

#423 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Used Frisbee-1.3.1 in 666philb's new vividpup.....

After exploring this issue with Peebee by PM, I concluded that a bug in network_tray can make the icon program fail to cycle to obtain changes in the traffic and connectivity! The cycling is controlled by a value set by the cyclic function each time it completes a cycle (every half second) -- except that it never sets a value (TRUE)! The value is whatever happens to be there when the program is running; if it is zero, the cycling fails to occur. The solution is for the function to "return TRUE".

I have updated the 2.7.x version of network_tray and attach it, along with the source tarball and a difference listing that can be converted into a patch file for application to other versions of network_tray.
Richard
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.4-i486.pet
Corrected package, to prevent random failure of network_tray to update its status icon.
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
network_tray-2.7.4.tar.gz
Source tarball
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
diff-network_tray-2.7.4.txt.gz
Differences between 2.7.3 and 2.7.4 -- probably useful for other versions of network_tray.
(904 Bytes) Downloaded 702 times

rcrsn51

#424 Post by rcrsn51 »

@rerwin: You may be interested in the discussion here. I can confirm the bug and the fix at Line 66.

johnywhy

#425 Post by johnywhy »

hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can no longer connect to wifi on a stock Tahrpup.

the frisbee interface loads, and i can see all hotspots in my vicinity. if i try to connect on one, frisbee asks for the password. I enter the correct password, and i see 'wlan0 is down'. Doesn't connect.

i see a wl module already blacklisted.

i'm about to just reinstall puppy to get around this, but would be cool to find a fix.

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rerwin

#426 Post by rerwin »

rcrsn51 wrote:@rerwin: You may be interested in the discussion here. I can confirm the bug and the fix at Line 66.
Indeed! Thank you calling my attention to the issue of frisbee causing shutdown to hang if samba has been used for network shares. In addition to removing the "killing" of dhcpcd from the initialization script code executed at shutdown, I copied the original code that stops wpa_supplicant as well as dhcpcd into the frisbee-mode-disable script (frisbee_mode_disable before frisbee-1.3), replacing its use of the init script "stop" option.

The update is frisbee-1.3.4 available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#832546

For those who prefer to avoid replacing frisbee with 1.3.4, here are commands to edit versions of frisbee 1.x older than 1.3:

Code: Select all

sed -i -e 's%[^#].*dhcpcd -k%#&%' /etc/init.d/frisbee
sed -i -e 's%/etc/init.d/frisbee stop%wpa_cli terminate 2>/dev/null; dhcpcd -k%' /usr/local/bin/frisbee_mode_disable
Beware that switching from frisbee back to another network manager may still kill dhcpcd (and network-share connections). But there should be no shutdown hang.
Richard

johnywhy

#427 Post by johnywhy »

rerwin wrote:The update is frisbee-1.3.4 available here
hi Richard

how does one determine installed frisbee version?
i'm sure your answer will make me feel foolish :)

thx!
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rerwin

#428 Post by rerwin »

how does one determine installed frisbee version?
johnywhy,
The way I do it is to look in the 2 files:
  • /root/.packages/user-installed-packages
    /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages
Note that .packages (dot-packages) is a hidden directory, meaning that you need to click on the eyeball in ROX to see it.

Recent versions of frisbee contain the version in the window title. If you are using precise pup, frisbee is probably 1.1. Here is how the entry appears in lupu-5.2.8.7:

frisbee-1.3.1-20141030|frisbee|1.3.1-20141030||Network|170K||frisbee-1.3.1-20141030.pet|+network_tray-2.7+|Frisbee wireless scanner||||

rerwin

frisbee-1.3.4 corrected to show ts actual version number

#429 Post by rerwin »

After posting the response just above, it occurred to me that I had not actually updated frisbee-1.3.4 to show its correct version number in the frisbee window title. I have now corrected that and have replaced it in the download posting:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#832546

As there is no functional change, individuals need not replace the original "1.3.4" -- but distro developers should take it for the next update of their distros.
Richard

johnywhy

#430 Post by johnywhy »

I have Frisbee beta 4 on vanguard R2. Do I need this?

I am have problems seeing unsecured WiFi.

Thx!!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rerwin

#431 Post by rerwin »

johnywhy,
Frisbee-1.3.4 updates only the 1.x series, not the betas. For me to be able to work your issues, you need the 1.x series, which corrects all reported (and many other) issues with Frisbee.

However, the 1.xes require certain puppy-architecture changes, so will not work well in Carolina. I seem to think I started an effort to make an adapter, but have not looked at it for awhile. I am willing to work on it as long as I have someone to test it on carolina or another puppy that remains with the Frisbee betas, when I get the time.
Richard

johnywhy

#432 Post by johnywhy »

rerwin wrote: the 1.xes require certain puppy-architecture changes, so will not work well in Carolina. I seem to think I started an effort to make an adapter, but have not looked at it for awhile. I am willing to work on it as long as I have someone to test it on carolina or another puppy that remains with the Frisbee betas,
I am happy to do testing for you.

Not sure if this is the right place, but some Frisbee requests:

- enlarge the list when window maximized.
- don't break current connection attempt when list is refreshed (or disable refresh during connection attempt).
- maintain sort (eg by strength) on refresh.

Many Thx for building for puppy linux!!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rerwin

#433 Post by rerwin »

johnywhy wrote:I am happy to do testing for you.

Not sure if this is the right place, but some Frisbee requests:

- enlarge the list when window maximized.
- don't break current connection attempt when list is refreshed (or disable refresh during connection attempt).
- maintain sort (eg by strength) on refresh.
Yes, this is the right place for frisbee requests. Thank you for offering them. But remember that any improvements will be made only to the 1.x series. Let's hope I can get the (assumed) conversions for Carolina to work.

Re maximizing: I never thought to try maximizing the frisbee window, but now see what you mean about the table not lengthening to fill the maximized window. That will probably involve upgrading the window to use the newer "tree" widget instead of the deprecated "table" widget. That conversion will require some learning-curve time, to explore any new capabilities beyond those of the table widget. I am putting that on my "to-do" list.

Re breaking connection during refresh: I think I made 1.2 or 1.3 do that. Please check on that with a 1.3.4 version.

Re maintaining sort by strength: I am not sure where that sort is done, but suspect it may be beyond frisbee's control. But I question the desirability of re-sorting by strength because that would move entries around for each refresh, making a particular entry difficult to find during repeated connection attempts. But this can be researched during a frisbee upgrade.

And thanks for your offer to test, when I can get around to upgrading.
Richard

8Geee

#434 Post by 8Geee »

If I might add a request... some networks connected to are 'OPEN' and should therefore bypass all wep/wpa scripting completely and go to ID and connection. In fact parsing FRISBEE based upon OPEN/SECURE connection might be a good idea. My older 1.1 version in slacko5.7 is quite borked, and needs several retries at an open connection, because it looks at ALL connections. Perhaps a checkbox upon startup, such that before sniffing, it knows WHAT to sniff.. SECURE or OPEN..
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

johnywhy

#435 Post by johnywhy »

rerwin wrote:Re maximizing: I am putting that on my "to-do" list.
great! thx
rerwin wrote:Re breaking connection during refresh: I think I made 1.2 or 1.3 do that. Please check on that with a 1.3.4 version.
Not sure how-- running xSlacko. Slacko repositories contain only "frisbee-1.1-20130415-modified", which is built into this puppy. Will 1.3.4 work on Slacko?

Just want to make sure i explained this issue: currently, you have a limited number of seconds to click the entry, then click connect, then enter the password and click connect on the password box, all before the next refresh.

if you don't do all those actions before the next refresh, then you can no longer connect to the connection you're in the midst of trying to connect to-- frisbee does not let you. You have to start the cycle all over again-- click the entry in the list, etc. It's a race against frisbee's refresh cycle! As a result, i often lose the race, so i'm constantly having to do this connection cycle repeatedly until i'm faster than frisbee.

eventually, if you fail to beat the clock, then frisbee stops loading the entry list, and it just goes blank. Then i have to hit Reset, and wait some more for the entries to reload-- and sometimes they don't.

This is my experience on various puppies. Seems it's because, if the list refreshes before you complete the steps, then the entry is no longer selected in the list, so frisbee does not know which entry you wanted to connect to.
rerwin wrote:Re maintaining sort by strength: that would move entries around for each refresh
in my experience, even with no manual sorting, entries already get moved around anyway each refresh (due to new or lost entries), so it could not be worse. Currently, if i sort by strength, then on refresh, i lose my sort, so they get moved around more than they would if the sort was maintained. If anything, i suggest sort by strength be the default, as it is in other wireless connection tools (on say Android or iOs or Apple or Windows). Aren't people going to be looking for the strongest entries in most cases?

Another weird thing that frisbee does: sometimes when you click connect, it asks for the ID (not password) of the hotspot you're trying to connect to-- even tho it already HAS an id. Does not always do this, but sometimes.

edit:i just upgraded to Slacko "Frisbee_beta-2.3-spup.pet" from http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-slacko/ I just noticed this spup does not have this problem-- the list does not refresh when the password box is waiting for password entry, so i can take as long as necessary (searching for the password, of course :) Also this frisbee beta 2.3 spup has an entry list that expands to the full window when i expand the window.

dumb noob question, if there are more recent frisbees with new features/fixes, why continue to work on an older version? just wondering.

many thx!
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 02 May 2015, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

peebee

#436 Post by peebee »

Hi rerwin

Topic: frisbee interaction with network_tray

Test environment: pristine frugal install of tahrpup-6.0.2 k3.14.20-pae with no updates

Problem: neither the "built-in" version of frisbee (frisbee-1.1-20130415-bashfix) nor frisbee-1.3.4-20150426 updates the network_tray icon or status message when "Disconnect from Network" is chosen.

Behaviour does not change if I also install network_tray-2.9.1-i486

sns in the same test environment behaves correctly.

Let me know if I can pm you any diagnostic information.

Regards
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#437 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Problem: neither the "built-in" version of frisbee (frisbee-1.1-20130415-bashfix) nor frisbee-1.3.4-20150426 updates the network_tray icon or status message when "Disconnect from Network" is chosen.
Thanks for mentioning that. After a far-to-long delay, I have fixed the problem as network_tray-2.7.5.
Richard
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.5-i486.pet
pet package
(13.3 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
network_tray-2.7.5.tar.gz
Source code tarball
(17.31 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

xanad

#438 Post by xanad »

Hi rerwin
I noticed that to translate frisbee-1.3.4, lack these changes:
- /usr/local/bin/frisbee
line 916
from

<label>"Configure PPPoE for DSL"</label>
to

<label>"$(gettext 'Configure PPPoE for DSL')"</label>
line 929
from

<label>"Configure mobile wireless"</label>
to

<label>"$(gettext 'Configure mobile wireless')"</label>
- /usr/local/frisbee/func
missing:

export TEXTDOMAIN=frisbee
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
. gettext.sh
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

rerwin

#439 Post by rerwin »

xanad,
Thank you for catching and reporting those items. I will add them for 1.3.5, but am waiting for any further bugs to be found for it. I have some internal changes to go into it, but they do not change the behavior nor provide any user-perceivable benefits.

However, I do not believe that the addition to func is necessary. That file is always "sourced" (. /usr/local/frisbee/func) so is considered to be part of the sourcing script. The ". gettext.sh" in frisbee and its profile_editor and diag functions should allow eval_gettext to be recognized in all of the supporting functions defined in func.

If you know of a case where the absence of gettext.sh in func itself is causing a problem, please tell me about that.
Richard

01micko

#440 Post by 01micko »

Hi Richard.

Just a request with the pinstall.sh

I am aware you have a bunch of code in there that runs to detect old frisbee files and correct them for the new frisbee version. Unfortunately, these are running in the woof build system. It does no harm (for me, but perhaps for some will run on their woof host system) but it may be disconcerting for the woof builder to see a bunch of 'sed' errors when the main woof pinstall.sh is run.

TIA

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access