How to connect a high res monitor to my laptop? (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
oui

How to connect a high res monitor to my laptop? (Solved)

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

I have a laptop emachines e620 from Acer and Puppy send video to the SUB D plug for external monitor but allow no better as 1280 x 800@60 or different resolution (with the resolution changer I can choice 1280 x 720@59.9 but not higher; in this case the external screen become completely black and the screen of the laptop is not good any more: to short from top to bottom) so I see only on the external high resolution screen the top part of the screen of the laptop screen without the bottom bar with Menu and other important and usefull symbols.

And I can't commute to high resolution as it is possible in for ex. in Debian or Ubuntu.

What is to do in Puppy to change it?

bye
Last edited by oui on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm going to take a wild guess, that the video chip in your laptop is not capable of going higher than 1280 x 800 x 60.

Do laptop manufacturers normally put video chips in their laptops that are capable of much higher resolution than the display in the laptop? I guess they might, since they put connectors for external displays in their laptops.

technosaurus

#3 Post by technosaurus »

Maybe plugging it in and pressing Fn+F8 ( or your laptops equivalent to switch to external monitor) before you press Enter at the boot screen? All laptops are different, so item hard to say.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hi

‘It was Puppy’

solution?

install fatdog and install the special xorg.conf for new hardware not being in consideration under puppy :wink:

my resolution is now 1900 x 1080!

in fatdog

salut

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

It was only a wild guess. :lol:

Glad you figured it out, and thanks for telling us how you did it. :)