Puppy 5.2 on Thinkpad 770X: CD-ROM drive not recognised

Please post any bugs you have found
Marek M.

Puppy 5.2 on Thinkpad 770X: CD-ROM drive not recognised

#1 Post by Marek M. »

Puppy 5.2 on a Thinkpad 770X won't recognise the CD-ROM drive. Here's the Windows drivers overview from ibm.com. No such problem with Win XP on that machine; except for being quite slow and taking up most of the 5GB hard drive, that is.

I had the same problem with Puppy 4.3 on that machine, though a prior version, iirc 4.2, did work well. Were some old CD-ROM drivers dropped with 4.3? Else Puppy runs perfectly well.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

IIRC, some of these old Thinkpads had SCSI-like drives. It may be those drivers that are missing from new Puppies. You might want to try Wary

If Wary works, please report back. Other users have this same problem.

Marek M.

to no avail

#3 Post by Marek M. »

> You might want to try Wary
Did so, doesn't work. CD supports ends as soon as vmlinuz and initrd.gz are loaded while booting from CD (so I switched to USB), won't work when OS is fully booted into ram, either.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Puplite is based off of Puppy 4.2.0...

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Puppy Linux has reached the point where old hardware had to be unsupported.
The problem is with the support in the Linux kernel.
Newer versions of Puppy use a Linux kernel that just does not have the support for older hardware.
Puppy Wary tries to provide support, but at some point you have to stop.
Puppy Linux versions around 4.2 seems to be the dividing point.
If you want a version that is updated and designed for old hardware try
Clasic Pup 2.14X
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

Marek M.,
EDIT 2/13/2011: Original thought: Considering that 4.2 works for you, you might try a 4.3.1 that uses the same kernel. There are 2 special puppies that use the 2.6.25 and 2.6.21 kernels, either of which should have the older drivers.

Better idea: There are two other special puppies, as well as "retro" and "classic". One of them includes the scsi driver you need. I found this out with my 2005-vintage Netvista with a Samsung DVD-RW when the "standard" puppy 4.3.1 did not see the drive. The appropriate special puppy is pup-431-scsi-intel_modems.iso. All of those puppies are here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... l-puppies/

And there are updates available for the 4.3.1s, if you go that way. They are in the thread "Simplified Puppy 4.3.1/4.3.2 Upgrade Center" - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 889#483889
Richard

Marek M.

Classic Pup 2.14X works

#7 Post by Marek M. »

Puppy Wary 500 wouldn't do (CD drive not recognised), Classic Pup 2.14X did, thank you. I don't have the machine at home anymore as it's for my mom, so I can't test suggestions right away. I might stick with Lucid, though, as some of the new pets are more important than CD support (she wouldn't notice anyway), but I'm a stickler, so I wanted to know.