How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:Thanks for the list but I did ask for those that was not Ubuntu. Many of these are based on Ubuntu.

Rather many. It is past 11PM here so I look into the list tomorrow.

How did you set up the search?

Have you actually read that their installer use grub2on NTFS HDD in frugal install loading their Iso or does the search just find the word grub2 in the review or something. I am very skeptical to that all of these mention would not be Ubuntu based and at same time using grub2 as installer and boot up after install.

They maybe can be booted by grub2 that is another thing I talk about that they exclusively use grub2 as their main way to install and boot just like the latest Ubuntu does. That is rare outside of Ubuntu inspired OS.
More likely debian based.....as is ubuntu!

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

If I get you then. The reason that Ubuntu adopted to use grub 2 was that Debian changed to grub 2?

Here is a typical google result supporting my take that it is Ubuntu that is the reason we have grub 2?

Dream Linux 4 beta 6.3 is using GRUB2 and GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu7 version is known as GRUB2 only. You have to edit GRUB_DEFAULT line ...
www.linuxforums.org › Your Distro › Ubuntu Linux /quote

As you see despite Dream Linux claiming to be Debian it is placed in linux forums under Ubuntu and not under Debian. The reason could be that Ubuntu is seen as a Debian variety.

But as far as I know the complaints about Grub 2 was directed towards Ubuntu and not towards Debian. Could be that Ubuntu is so dominating that Debian got under the RADAR due to them having a 4GB distro and the beginners start with Ubuntu instead.

Crunchbang had grub 1 up until 2010 or so and if I get it started with it very recently late 2010 or early 2011.

quote CrunchBang Linux: 10-20110207 based on minimal Debian 2011-04-23 member snowpine says about CrunchBang Statler, as with most recent distros, uses Grub 2 by default./quote

I used Simply Mepis 2010 and where not aware of them being grub2 so could it be very recently them came out with a later version?

Take this one from Distro Watch. Support my take that distros with grub 2 are Ubuntu based:

Peppermint OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... peppermint

Here is another distro from your list supporting my take that it is ubuntu based.
Kiwi Linux is a modified Ubuntu live CD for the i386 architecture.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Kiwi

another example supporting my take that it is Ubuntu based. DW says
Tuquito is a Ubuntu-based distribution
another example that I am not totally wrong DW says

"TurnKey Linux is Ubuntu-based " and "Runtu is a Russian desktop Linux distribution based on Ubuntu."

I had it right about this one too DW says:
Ultimate Edition, first released in December 2006, is a fork of Ubuntu
I was right about this one too DW says:
wattOS is a fast desktop Linux distribution based on Ubuntu.
Qimo 4 Kids is a distribution of Linux, derived from the popular Ubuntu
But I was wrong about this one though :)
quote PureOS and PureOSlight are GNU/Linux live CDs based on Debian's testing repository. / quote

But I was right about this one DW says:
Pinguy OS is an Ubuntu-based distribution
and this one too
Peppermint OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution
Super OS (formerly: Super Ubuntu) is a modified version of Ubuntu
I had it wrong about this one:
Toorox is a Gentoo-based live DVD which boots into a KDE desktop using KNOPPIX hardware auto-detection and auto-configuration technologies.
I was right about this one DW says:
Trisquel GNU/Linux is a 100% libre Ubuntu-based Linux distribution.
And this one DW says:
UberStudent ("uber" meaning "productive" in Latin) is an Ubuntu-based distribution

I was right about this one DW says:
Vinux is a remastered flavour of the Ubuntu distribution
I was right about
Zentyal ... runs on top of Ubuntu.
and this
ZevenOS is an Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux distribution
and this one too
Zorin OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution

oops I was wrong about this one
AgiliaLinux is a Russian community distribution with roots in Slackware Linux
But how often do we talkk about that one here on our forum? :) and this one from Russia is independent too.
"ALT Linux" so I was wrong about them too.

I got Apodio right though, DW says " Apodia ... is based on Ubuntu."
and "Linux Deepin ... based on Ubuntu." and "DEFT (Digital Evidence & Forensic Toolkit) is a customised distribution of the Ubuntu live Linux CD" and " Guadalinex is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu" and "Linux Comfusion (previously known as Uberyl) is ... an Ubuntu base system"
and "CAELinux is based on Debian, Ubuntu" and "CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is an Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux live distribution" and "Monomaxos is an Ubuntu-based distribution"

oops I got this one wrong
aptosid distribution is a desktop-oriented operating system and live CD based on the unstable branch of Debian GNU/Linux
and "Dragora Based on: Independent"
and obviously Knoppix and Kanotix is Debian but did we not all know this? :) "KANOTIX is a Linux distribution based on the latest stable release of Debian GNU/Linux." and this one me wrong:
"Càtix is a Linux live DVD based on Debian GNU/Linux"

And I sure was wrong about "NuTyX is an i686-optimised, French Linux distribution created from Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch, with a package manager borrowed from CRUX"

But I got this one right though DW says "AriOS is a user-friendly, Ubuntu-based distribution "

and this one "ArtistX is a Ubuntu-based bootable DVD "
what about this "Asturix is a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Kubuntu" and "iMagic OS is a commercial desktop Linux distribution based on Kubuntu." and "Big Linux is based on Kubuntu."

And DW says about Kubuntu this: "Kubuntu is a free, user-friendly Linux distribution based on KDE's desktop software and on the award-winning Ubuntu operating system."

And "Bodhi Linux is an Ubuntu-based distribution"
and "EasyPeasy (formerly Ubuntu Eee) is an Ubuntu-based distribution for netbooks"

and "Elementary OS is an Ubuntu-based desktop distribution." and "
BlankOn is an Ubuntu-based distribution"

Ooops "Grml is a bootable CD (live CD) based on Debian GNU/Linux."

But got all thes right DW says "Joli OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution." and on this one too dw says "
Karoshi is ... based on Ubuntu. " and this "Madbox Linux is ... Ubuntu-based " and "Linux Mangaka is ... based on Ubuntu"
and "Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution" and "MoLinux is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution" and "moonOS is a complete, Ubuntu-based distribution" and "Netrunner is an Ubuntu-based distribution" and surprise DW says "Nova is a user-friendly, desktop-oriented Linux distribution developed by the University of Computer Sciences in Havana, Cuba. In the product's early days the operating system was based on Gentoo Linux and Sabayon Linux, but starting from version 2.1 the developers have chosen Ubuntu as the base system." What woudl the Gentoo Fan boys say?

And LinuxTLE DW says "starting with version 8.0, the developers have chosen Ubuntu as the distribution's new base system."

"LliureX Based on: Debian, Ubuntu " and "GnackTrack is an Ubuntu-based distribution" and " Greenie Linux is ... based on Ubuntu

But I got this one wrong: "Epidemic GNU/Linux is ... based on Debian GNU/Linux." and this one but is it really fair to refer to a discontinued OS made for SPARK CPU? How many of us here use such? " * Based on: Fedor Architecture: sparc32 * Status: Discontinued" But sure I did not know that was not Ubuntu :) And the BSD you cited. I don't see BSD as part of the OS we talks about even if the use Grub2 but sure I was wrong there.

How many hours have I tried to give evidence that I as more right than wrong? Is it not fair to say that most of the distros on that list is Ubuntu based? I admit me was very wrong about Debian. I had not read up on their latest dev them got under my RADAR due to them very big to download distro. I was not aware of that Mepis had gone over to Grub 2 either. So sure seen from your perspective I was very wrong then :)

But is it not ironic that I actually asked on Puppy forum which distro apart from Ubuntu and TinyCore that could be used install Grub2 on a USB without using Ms Windows or Ubuntu CD due to my Computer have no CD and if they suggest TCL then they have to teach me to get grub2 on it which RobertS does not recommend one use.

I also asked if Knoppix could help me do it. So where where this long list then just a few weeks ago? :) I guess it is easier to get response if one say that this can not be done and then a lot of people tell me it can be done while if I ask help me get this done then few volunteer? Just friendly teasing.

So from this very big list of distros with Grub2 installers which one is most likely to be easy to set up in grub4DOS frugal booted on NTFS and then be used to install grub2 to my USB memory stick?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#18 Post by rjbrewer »

You seem to be very confused about Dream Linux;

even Ubuntu doesn't list it as being a derivative.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... dreamlinux

Full installs

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

So out of the overwhelming list of me getting it right you found one thing you say me wrong about. How fair is that?

I wrote:

Here is a typical google result supporting my take that it is Ubuntu that is the reason we have grub 2?
Dream Linux 4 beta 6.3 is using GRUB2 and GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu7 version is known as GRUB2 only. You have to edit GRUB_DEFAULT line ...
www.linuxforums.org › Your Distro › Ubuntu Linux
As you see despite Dream Linux claiming to be Debian it is placed in linux forums under Ubuntu and not under Debian. The reason could be that Ubuntu is seen as a Debian variety.

It was Linuxforums that placed it under the wrong headings. Them somehow thinking that it fits better under that heading.

See this part www.linuxforums.org › Your Distro › Ubuntu Linux
that is where they placed Dream Linux. I clearly said that

As you see despite Dream Linux claiming to be Debian I realize now that I should have expressed that one less ambiguously like this.

DW clearly say that Dream Linux is Debian and not Ubuntu despite this Linuxforums place it under Ubuntu.

So is there not good evidence that many do see think that grub2 is an Ubuntu thing. I am too lazy to find out if Debian was first with it and then Ubuntu mimicked Debian. Maybe they came up with it together? or in competition with each other.

What is fair to say that the huge list you presented when one look at the majority of them then Distro Watch do say they are Ubuntu based.

So let me repeat my question to you.

Which of all these linux distros can be frugally booted on NTFS HDD on an Acer D250 and then booted up and then using the grub2 installer to install a grub2 on the USB Flashmemory stick?

Chrunchbang is among the smaller isos. I tried for hours different boot options and ways to set up grub4DOS to boot chrunch on my Acer but failed and had to give up on it.

I do have Knoppix 6.4.3 booting though but have failed to find text that explain how one use it to place itself on an USB as grub2 boot.

I think it is the wrong version of Knoppix 6 I should maybe have 6.4.4 instead. So ti is not as easy as you imply with that very huge list.

You ahve still not explained how you managed to get that list. Why did it include all those Ubuntu varieties. I explicitly asked for examples that was not Ubuntu based and the majority of the list you gave was Ubuntu based. Even having that in the name too. Like Mythbuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Ubuntu too. And now you point out that I am confused about Dream Linux. I only gave an example that Linuxforums seems to place it under ubuntu. Why would they do that? They are not listening to any advice from me to they? So how did they came to that conclusion at all?

If Debian is the reason for Ubuntu to have grub 2 then why does very few get upset over Debian and so many get upset over Ubuntu using Grub 2?

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

@nooby: Please read here. However, there is no guarantee that it will work with anything but the standard Ubuntu's.

nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

rcrsn51 greath thanks. I do hope it works for my purpose.
I will test it ASAP using peppermint linux most likely. or some other lightweight distro.

How big usbmemory is minimal 1GB or 2GB or 4GB?

rjbrewer

#22 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:
So is there not good evidence that many do see think that grub2 is an Ubuntu thing. I am too lazy to find out if Debian was first with it and then Ubuntu mimicked Debian. Maybe they came up with it together? or in competition with each other.
No; there is not good evidence they do think it is Ubuntu!
Most Linux users are aware that Grub is a "bootloader", and not
part of any specific OS.

The list of Grub2 users was provided by James C; not by me.
You only found about 25 Ubuntu derivatives in the almost 90
distros listed.

Your comment about Dream Linux, without providing a link to the
post on Linux Forums you were referring to was an especially
bad move.

Full installs

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

My sincere apology to James C.
So Brewer, if I understand your text to me correctly you will never forgive me for my gruesome transgression on this forum.

But maybe the good thing or outcome with this tiring exchanges on Debian being the main source for all the distros that DW claim has Ubuntu as base of inspiration maybe got rcrsn51 motivated to give us the pet he linked to and started a thread about.

It worked wonderfully.

This thread we are in now has the title.
How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

I suggest we go back on topic. Did we solve that question?

rjbrewer

#24 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:My sincere apology to James C.
So Brewer, if I understand your text to me correctly you will never forgive me for my gruesome transgression on this forum.
Gruesome transgressions?

Good name for a rock group. :lol:

Full installs

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

I wrote "I suggest we go back on topic. Did we solve that question?"

rjbrewer

#26 Post by rjbrewer »

nooby wrote:I wrote "I suggest we go back on topic. Did we solve that question?"
This is the "How to" section.
There was no question!!!

Full installs

HiDeHo

#27 Post by HiDeHo »

Hey all nice try at discussing ubuntu and grub 2 but it has nothing to do with puppy linux and grub 2 booting as the origional post was adn is about. please get back on tiopic.

HiDeHo

#28 Post by HiDeHo »

Puppylinux and grub 2 is great. here is my lighthouse pup grub file. for you to look at. for my lighthouse pup i have to use the default graphic settings.

http://pastebin.com/xrkBqLnw

Lighthouse pup has some different options than the normal puplet.

ubume2

#29 Post by ubume2 »

Okay, I currently have 525 set up frugally in its own ext 3 partition, and I have Ubuntu grub2 set up to boot it. I intend to place other Puppy installs in that same partition. Let's say 420.

What is not clear to me, what do I place in my Ubu grub2 menu to go to the Puppy boot menu so that I can boot the puppy version I am working with? I don't want to clutter the Ubuntu grub menu more than it is currently cluttered.

Thanks.

nooby

#30 Post by nooby »

Hopefully somebody who really know help you out but in the mean time I suggest this.

Short version Search using the link in my sig for

chainload grub2 to grub4

Longer version
Would it be possible to use puppy and install on that ext3 partition a grub4dos and chainload to that one from the grub2 in ubuntu then you can add as many frugal installs of puppy and knoppix and porteus and other Slax varieties without cluttering the grub2 at all.

look for grub4dosconfig thread and see how that one can be installed to usb and partitions and how chainloading works. But I am a very confused and computer challenged person so I may have got it all wrong.

ubume2

#31 Post by ubume2 »

Thanks nooby for url to that search engine. Am checking into the grub issue now.

It seems to be more thorough than a regular google search

Bruce B

#32 Post by Bruce B »

As far as Ubuntu, I figure I'll probably run into control issues.

One boot manager and one menu for me. The reason why is some
previous severe data loss doing it with two grubs.

~

ubume2

#33 Post by ubume2 »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi my grub 2 experiences are as follows.
2 I then went to /etc/grub.d/custom_40 and.added this.

menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid abff01f4-2fbd-498a-bbf3-480beb990594
configfile /Puppy520/grub2.cfg
}

(this option boots, points and loads the grub2.cfg file above). you will need to change the uuid to the one from your hdd where puppy is. then point to the config file

then in the ubuntu os open a terminal and run this. sudo update-grub and your done.

I find this a much cleaner way to do things and you then get all the boot options from the puppy linux os
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried your approach, and did not work with my Ubuntu grub. I did a frugal install of Puppy 525 ext3 inside Ubuntu.

I started using this url:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64525

My grub2.cfg file was placed in /puppy525
It reads as follows:
#This is a config file to get grub to boot puppy linux.
menuentry 'LUPUP 5.2.0 BOOT OPTIONS' {
insmod
set root
linux
intird
}

menuentry '01. Puppy Linux' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /Puppy525/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy525
initrd /Puppy525/initrd.gz
}
-------------------------------------------
I added to my Ubuntu grub custom menu
menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid 9c9e90e7-a00e-4f70-a396-d75dc8124e69
configfile /Puppy525/grub2.cfg
}
and updated the grub menu
When I select it on the menu...I get a press any key message. Doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

IMO trying to use grub 4 dos, is a regression. But I don't think the "how to" above was using that.

HiDeHo

#34 Post by HiDeHo »

nooby wrote:Thanks for the list but I did ask for those that was not Ubuntu. Many of these are based on Ubuntu.

Rather many. It is past 11PM here so I look into the list tomorrow.

How did you set up the search?

Have you actually read that their installer use grub2on NTFS HDD in frugal install loading their Iso or does the search just find the word grub2 in the review or something. I am very skeptical to that all of these mention would not be Ubuntu based and at same time using grub2 as installer and boot up after install.

They maybe can be booted by grub2 that is another thing I talk about that they exclusively use grub2 as their main way to install and boot just like the latest Ubuntu does. That is rare outside of Ubuntu inspired OS.
nooby. ubuntu is baised on debian so debian uses grub 2 any debian baised os would also use it. noobyare you new to linux - if so y not do some research into what linux is and how things are. instead of asuming things about linux. I remember it is hard to make the switch from windows o linux, but just do research, it takes some reading tutorials and manuals when you start out and understanding basic things before posting in forums about things.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Sun 22 May 2011, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

#35 Post by HiDeHo »

ubume2 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:Hi my grub 2 experiences are as follows.
2 I then went to /etc/grub.d/custom_40 and.added this.

menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid abff01f4-2fbd-498a-bbf3-480beb990594
configfile /Puppy520/grub2.cfg
}

(this option boots, points and loads the grub2.cfg file above). you will need to change the uuid to the one from your hdd where puppy is. then point to the config file

then in the ubuntu os open a terminal and run this. sudo update-grub and your done.

I find this a much cleaner way to do things and you then get all the boot options from the puppy linux os
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried your approach, and did not work with my Ubuntu grub. I did a frugal install of Puppy 525 ext3 inside Ubuntu.

I started using this url:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64525

My grub2.cfg file was placed in /puppy525
It reads as follows:
#This is a config file to get grub to boot puppy linux.
menuentry 'LUPUP 5.2.0 BOOT OPTIONS' {
insmod
set root
linux
intird
}

menuentry '01. Puppy Linux' {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /Puppy525/vmlinuz psubdir=Puppy525
initrd /Puppy525/initrd.gz
}
-------------------------------------------
I added to my Ubuntu grub custom menu
menuentry 'Puppy Boot' {
search --set --fs-uuid 9c9e90e7-a00e-4f70-a396-d75dc8124e69
configfile /Puppy525/grub2.cfg
}
and updated the grub menu
When I select it on the menu...I get a press any key message. Doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

IMO trying to use grub 4 dos, is a regression. But I don't think the "how to" above was using that.

first do you have a working installed os with grub 2 i asume your ubuntu partition does.

then you will need to use that. if you read the post by its-me-again adn his link you will see alot about how to tweek grub 2 read that first then try again. adn let us know how you get on