How to set up grub 2 to boot Puppy frugal install

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

Your GRUB2 instructions

#46 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @HiDeHo

If I understand, you offer, here, "a method of transforming a GRUB Menu.lst formatted file into a GRUB2 configuration for a GRUB2 boot". Is that correct?

It appears to me to suggest that I use my system that already has GRUB2 operational, to create the configuration needed for Puppy to do the same thing via a directory "/Puppy520" on the running system.

Now, so that I am totally clear, "in what folder/directory should your last steps, here, be executed?" (in other words, when I open a terminal, what folder should I 'cd ...' to run the script?)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

Re: GRUB2 and Live media

#47 Post by nooby »

gcmartin wrote:Shinobar setup his WARY(s) ISOs so that when booting your Live media (CD/DVD), you were paused at a GRUB4DOS screen.

To my knowledge, "HowTo" do this was never published by him.

Is there a chance that someone (s) could
  1. show us how to do build an ISO that's using GRUB2 on the Live media to boot Puppy?
  2. show us how to boot an Puppy ISO file that one has on a HDD using GRUB2?
Thanks in advance for any guidance on these 2 separate items.

Hi gc

25 April you wrote this "successful launch of booting any ISO from a menu.lst"

Some iso:s can be booted from grub4dos but not everyone. Those that are grub2 seems to need grub2 to boot the iso?

Unless you are on an USB and use mapping which mimic CDROM booting if I get it.

If one have grub2 that would most likely boot many more isos even on NTFS HDD.

I have only tested to boot Ubuntu, Peppermint and some others.

This question
show us how to do build an ISO that's using GRUB2 on the Live media to boot Puppy?
has not been done yet. And none seems to see any usage of it. The Puppy community seems to say No to that one.

The second part of your question
that one has on a HDD using GRUB2
That seems to get accomplished if one install one of those many many Linux distros that make use of grub2 but then one need to know how to do that without destroying the Windows install one already have unless one have ditched that one.

A compromise would be to install a grub2 distro to a USB and that way boot up any iso on the hdd.

I nagged so much that rcrsn51 did a one time offer to make such a one and it was based on what Lance did for Pendrivelinux but rcrsn51 adjusted it to work on Puppy but it has some limitations but I did boot some three or four isos with it. But it is way above my ability to give good advices on it.

But I do give my grub2 code in that thread as examples.
but it would most likely not be proper to give them here.

We could continues in that thread or using PM
How to Make a Bootable Flash Drive using GRUB2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

HiDeHo

#48 Post by HiDeHo »

ubume2 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote: first do you have a working installed os with grub 2 i asume your ubuntu partition does.

then you will need to use that. if you read the post by its-me-again adn his link you will see alot about how to tweek grub 2 read that first then try again. adn let us know how you get on
Yes, I have a grub2 on ubuntu. I can add Puppy on it to boot it. I read the wikka posted on its-me-again's first post. That is a tutorial on how to set up grub2. I use the same procedure.

Where I ran into problems was chrisbear's? list of grub entries and an entry to boot a grub2.cfg within /puppy525. My purpose was to boot up various puppy versions (frugal) located in a separate ext3 partition. Trying to avoid cluttering ubuntu's grub. I can easily add the additional puppy's to ubuntu's grub2 menu and get them to boot.

But I can't get it to chainload (if that's the right term) to the grub2.cfg. That is to have only one puppy entry on Ubuntu's grub to boot to grub2.cfg
where other puppy versions can be booted.

I am not certain that can be done unless a full install is done of each puppy version into separate partitions, where a separate /boot/grub/menu.lat exists (grub legacy in Puppy). I did extensive searches using Puppy's Google search engine and did not find a solution.

Thank you.
ok well it is fairly straight forward. first check you point to the correct file on your computer. and use the correct uuid. for your partiti0n.

I generally put each puppy in its own folder. so for puppy 520 i would put it in a folder /pup520 on the partition the puppy is on. then make sure i have the files needed to boot the os taken from the iso. or cd and my separate grub520.config file created with the boot options for the particular puppy in it. and i make sure that the initial Ubuntu grub menu is pointing to the exact folder and file name of the puppy config for the os i am pointing to.

then i need to make sure in the puppy grub config that it is pointing to the correct path that my files are for that puppy. then it should boot. it takes tweaking and changing configs like mine to what you have.

i hope that helps

HiDeHo

Re: GRUB2 and Live media

#49 Post by HiDeHo »

gcmartin wrote:Shinobar setup his WARY(s) ISOs so that when booting your Live media (CD/DVD), you were paused at a GRUB4DOS screen.

To my knowledge, "HowTo" do this was never published by him.

Is there a chance that someone (s) could
  1. show us how to do build an ISO that's using GRUB2 on the Live media to boot Puppy?
  2. show us how to boot an Puppy ISO file that one has on a HDD using GRUB2?
Thanks in advance for any guidance on these 2 separate items.
good idea i suggest a new post start for this

HiDeHo

Re: Your GRUB2 instructions

#50 Post by HiDeHo »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks @HiDeHo

If I understand, you offer, here, "a method of transforming a GRUB Menu.lst formatted file into a GRUB2 configuration for a GRUB2 boot". Is that correct?

It appears to me to suggest that I use my system that already has GRUB2 operational, to create the configuration needed for Puppy to do the same thing via a directory "/Puppy520" on the running system.

Now, so that I am totally clear, "in what folder/directory should your last steps, here, be executed?" (in other words, when I open a terminal, what folder should I 'cd ...' to run the script?)

Thanks in advance
it is a grub 2 post not grub1 there cant be converted as far as i am told.

yes i used an os that had grub 2 already installed but if you install it separately it will work the same. you need a boot-loader installed. you need to use the grub 2 format not any of the default puppy ones as the grub 1 and grub for dos are not recognized by grub 2

you need to cd to a folder where you put puppy Linux. i don't use terminal much i use the file browser and point to where i want the tile to go and save it via a txt editor when i have it.. you ned to cd to the folder where you are wanting or have things set up.

ubume2

#51 Post by ubume2 »

It's been a while since I have read this thread.

I have several distros, some that use grub2 and some grub1.

Using grub2 in my ubuntu install, I can pick up all grub1 and grub2 entries, and XP so I can boot into any distro I want. Exception is Puppy (frugally installed inside my Ubuntu partition), which has to be manually entered into 40_custom or other whatever custom number:

menuentry "Puppy 525 on /dev/sda5" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,5)
linux /puppy525/vmlinuz psubdir=puppy525
initrd /puppy525/initrd.gz
}
And it works great.

rcrsn51

#52 Post by rcrsn51 »

You might want to include the argument "pdev1=sda5". That will save Puppy from searching through the other partitions looking for its core files.

ubume2

#53 Post by ubume2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:You might want to include the argument "pdev1=sda5". That will save Puppy from searching through the other partitions looking for its core files.
Where? At the end of the linux line? Substitute for psubdir?

Thanks.

ICPUG

#54 Post by ICPUG »

At the end of the linux line is best. Leave psubdir there.

ubume2

#55 Post by ubume2 »

ICPUG wrote:At the end of the linux line is best. Leave psubdir there.
Thanks. It works.