SFS-Exec

Miscellaneous tools
nooby

#61 Post by nooby »

New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Anyway. To my surprise but maybe Seaside warned about it and me poor reader of any text.

If it already have a .mozilla and Qrky has SeaMonkey then SFS-Exec Dir refuse to start Firefox. It says that it has loaded it but nothing show up.

And then when I use the unloader then that one says it is loaded.

How does one get FF going if the Seamonkey is the default browser.

Opera loaded as usual.

I tested to have symlink to another .mozilla outside pupsave but that did not get FF going either.

kind of odd. But using right click did not shut it down.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

seaside

#62 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:
My result. I created a folder in mnt/home and did a reboot and it survived.
I made a new folder and rebooted and that one survived too.
/mnt/home is not the pupsave file. So, files written here will survive

I also did the which snapmergepuppy and that gave only the hash sign.
Snowpup5 is Lupu513 so most likely it would also act that way on all the puppies that are based on Lupu511.
I think you've found something here, because these problems seem to come up with pups above 510

I also made a more keen test of my problem with shut down to prompt.
1. Survive if one do Terminal and also
2. if one do Menu > Filesystem > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir but
3. But if one do right click on desktop and then filesystems > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir that gives an instant shut down to prompt.

????????? :)

So that would be needed to get dealt with unless numerous newbies get totally lost with a prompt and wild guess what to write xwin is not that intuitive to write if one are new but usually the text says so though :)

Nope sfs-exec-dir should not allow changes without one hit save button. That is no good! But if there is no way to protect it at least we should set the save time to zero or nil or 0 and that way it would not save a lot of things?

I agree

which snapmergepuppy
what was that suppose to give in normal circumstances?
If SFS-Exec-Pupsave is installed, then only the # will be returned
Cheers,
s

seaside

#63 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Seaside! Jasper take up something that I also have wondered about.

I have never unloaded (or attempted to unload) either of the two standard type files which are listed at the top of the Unloader window.
Could that explain why the files got saved?

But logically don't sfs-exec need them loaded? when one tell it to save to pupsave using the savebutton and before it shut down then it need to access these files that is loaded during boot why would you load them if the SFS-Exec did not need them?
Yes, those two files listed at the top are the main sfs file and the pupsave file and cannot be unloaded.

Cheers,
s

seaside

#64 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Anyway. To my surprise but maybe Seaside warned about it and me poor reader of any text.

If it already have a .mozilla and Qrky has SeaMonkey then SFS-Exec Dir refuse to start Firefox. It says that it has loaded it but nothing show up.

Opera loaded as usual.

I tested to have symlink to another .mozilla outside pupsave but that did not get FF going either.

Nooby,

Did you delete the current /root/.mozilla directory and then link your other firefox .mozilla directory back to /root/.mozilla before starting firefox?

Cheers,
s

nooby

#65 Post by nooby »

Thanks.

Ah so that is what you say. Clever. Now I get what you say. Hehe I am dense
One need to test it in another way. What we did should get saved because mnt/home are outside teh pupsave.

We have to do a test that only should go into pupsave.
Change of background on desktop?
Doing a PPM thing? installing some app and then when one reboot it should not be there?

nooby

#66 Post by nooby »

Ooops sorry not described the important steps.

Well I renamed the current .mozilla to .mozillaold and then dragged the one I had on HDD to root and made an absolute symlink and when I tested to start firefox 3.6.sfs that one failed to show up so I unloaded it and tested with 4.07 and that one did not start up either so I unloaded it and deleted the symlink and renamed the old back to original name and restarted x and tested Seamoneky and that one failed to load too despite me ahd used it prior to the test.

old text in post
seaside wrote:
nooby wrote:New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Opera loaded as usual.

Nooby,

Did you delete the current /root/.mozilla directory and then link your other firefox .mozilla directory back to /root/.mozilla before starting firefox?

Cheers,
s

seaside

#67 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Thanks.

Ah so that is what you say. Clever. Now I get what you say. Hehe I am dense
One need to test it in another way. What we did should get saved because mnt/home are outside teh pupsave.

We have to do a test that only should go into pupsave.
Change of background on desktop?
Doing a PPM thing? installing some app and then when one reboot it should not be there?
Nooby,

Yes to all.

Cheers,
s

seaside

#68 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Ooops sorry not described the important steps.

Well I renamed the current .mozilla to .mozillaold and then dragged the one I had on HDD to root and made an absolute symlink and when I tested to start firefox 3.6.sfs that one failed to show up so I unloaded it and tested with 4.07 and that one did not start up either so I unloaded it and deleted the symlink and renamed the old back to original name and restarted x and tested Seamoneky and that one failed to load too despite me ahd used it prior to the test.
Nooby,

Normally that should have worked.

Cheers,
s

nooby

#69 Post by nooby »

Sad news. I hope I did it right. It remember things it should not?

1. I tested to change the background picture. First I changed it from one to another and used your save button and that saved it so it was there after reboot as it should be and

2. then I changed it again but rebooted without using your save button. It still remembered the new one instead of forgetting like it should.

So something the Lupu or Woof do make it remember even after your changes of the scripts.
---
Re failing to get FF going I made a mistake, it seems that I have mixed up FF3.6.16 and 4.0 and that seems not to work well. It did remember my personal startpage and my bookmarks but not my passwords. No big deal.

So that may explain ithe .mozilla thing. I use sfs-exec.dir in this one too and it also shut down to prompt if one did what I described but survive and work well if one go the way you described. One can only put a symlink on the dektop with the sfs files and click on them

I most likely go to bed now :)

Jasper

#70 Post by Jasper »

Hi again seaside,

So that I may save at any time (without an enforced poweroff) I have added a # sign at the start of the last line of your "Save-pup" file as shown:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# used with SFS-exec to enable pupsave

mv /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppyHOLD /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
#exec wmpoweroff 
My regards

Hopefully you will not see a problem with this and perhaps you can even suggest a further addition which would advise me when the save is completed?

This program is blisteringly fast loading sfs files, but (as you have already explained) it does not do a full set of checks. When I was experimenting and taking some deliberately foolish steps just to see what would happen I had some screen lock-ups that even "xkill" would not fix; but every time when I went to "Menu > Shutdown > Restart x server" all was well again.

I believe (though I would appreciate your comment) that it also means that I can now make a "current" backup copy of my save file (using copy and paste to anywhere at any time) without any fear that any such backup may be corrupt.

Addendum

Your work seems to have even wider possibilities:

In my Lupu 5.25 it is still possible to use the save pet and save icon (after uninstalling your fast sfs load/unload pet) and to also use a timed automatic save setting via the Event Manager if desired.
------------------------
What might be done with other Puppy versions will depend upon the outcome your research into the "save" query.

seaside

#71 Post by seaside »

Jasper wrote:

#!/bin/sh
# used with SFS-exec to enable pupsave

#exec wmpoweroff 
Jasper: That was a definitely logical thought, but it wouldn't work. Here's some code that should probably work. Please try it and let me know.

#!/bin/sh
# used with SFS-exec to enable pupsave without poweroff

/usr/sbin/save2flash
mv /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppyHOLD
[/b]

I believe (though I would appreciate your comment) that it also means that I can now make a "current" backup copy of my save file (using copy and paste to anywhere at any time) without any fear that any such backup may be corrupt.
Probably
Great that you keep testing and experimenting on the "5" series, because I have been using SFS-Exec for over a month on pup431 and have had no problems.

Regards,
s

Jasper

#72 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

I save to my hard drive (not a usb flash drive in case that is what your new code is meant for) and, after testing, I'm 99 % confident (though worried by your expert comment) that the simple "#" addition works.

My regards

seaside

#73 Post by seaside »

Jasper,

Don't be concerned about the name because it was created to be used for flash drives, but basically it initiates the "save" procedure. Please do try it.

Unfortunately, just enabling the "snapmergepuppy" does not actually run it, so nothing will happen if you "#exec "wmpoweroff .

Cheers,
s

nooby

#74 Post by nooby »

one thing that worries me is that if one have a pupsavefile and then install SFS-Exec and SFS-Exec-Pupsave and then forget to use the SFS-Exec-Unloader on FF then it seems the Ext3 pupsave file get corrupt but usually pfix=fsck does repair it but it has happen that it did not on first try and I had to reboot again and that time it fixed it and everything look normal again .

So I should do a backup of the savefile and place it in a safe spot :)

Apart from that I really love what you gave us. No craving or to put demands on you but if you suddenly feel for it it would be cool to have what you describe first that it doesn't save changes even if one reboot normally? That would be a cool thing indeed.

Suppose one install something that does not work. What a relief to just reboot the normal way and all is as it should be the faulty thing not there.

Jasper

#75 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

Your code works, but

I get a yellow box with a message:
----
"Request to save the current session is queued. Please
wait and a message will pop up when the saving occurs."
----
A couple of times I have waited 10 minutes and more with no change to the message. However, if I move my cursor over the message it disappears immediately.

My regards

Perhaps (on Lupu) you might try the # sign (because I use the power-off button on my Tower - which I have to because the reboot which is not supposed to save - would otherwise save whatever code was used in the save file).

nooby

#76 Post by nooby »

Seaside, Jasper and all of you here is how Sylvander learned from a site to edit a file so that Puppy treat the HDD as if it is a DVD and that way one get a choice to only save at reboot or to not save at all???

Read here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 458#497458

oops it only works if one have isolinux.config does grup4dos have such file within it as a kind of left over if they made grub legacy and grub4dos by reworking the older isolinux? Or can one learn from that one to find the same part in grub4dos and change that one in same fashion?

seaside

#77 Post by seaside »

Jasper wrote:Hi seaside,

Your code works, but

I get a yellow box with a message:
----
"Request to save the current session is queued. Please
wait and a message will pop up when the saving occurs."
----
A couple of times I have waited 10 minutes and more with no change to the message. However, if I move my cursor over the message it disappears immediately.

My regards

Perhaps (on Lupu) you might try the # sign (because I use the power-off button on my Tower - which I have to because the reboot which is not supposed to save - would otherwise save whatever code was used in the save file).
Jasper,

Thanks for trying out the code and affirming that it works. I tried it in pup431 and it works with the yellow message appearing only briefly - so I can't explain why yours remains, as the coding for "save2flash" in 525 is exactly the same as pup431.

If you eliminate the "exec poweroff" by placing a "#" in front , when you click on the "Save-pup" icon, the door is open to save to the pupsave file but no actual save will take place. At that point, a menu >poweroff or reboot will create a save - but then you've lost a specific save-now capability and a reset to a "don't save" posture.

Regards,
s
EDIT: Jasper are you certain that there was in fact an actual "save" made, because it just occurred to me that one reason the yellow message would not briefly go away is that the command to save was not picked up?
Last edited by seaside on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#78 Post by nooby »

Seaside what about this one then?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56077
title PupShutdown-1.6

He describe it to do this:
Purpose and Base Features
PupShutdown permits menu-like access to sixteen common functions that one may find helpful when closing a Puppy session. Backup and task manager selections in the main menu have multi-program support to provide flexibility in managing the shutdown process. If the panel application selector does not have your program, you can add it manually. In addition to the configurable menu options, the appearance of the graphic interface can be quickly changed to complement a personal preference or match a Puppy theme. PupShutdown integrates seamlessly with PupControl Panel and PupApps Launcher.

Caveats
1 - PupShutdown typically requires Puppy versions 4.3.1 and above to assure accurate markup of title text attributes and to allow automatic retrieval of the font name list.

2 - Program access is by Puppy Menu->Utility->PupShutdown or by the default Ctrl+Shift+X keyboard shortcut which is configured for IceWm, JWM, Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE and LXPanel. If the Xfce window manager is currently active, the hotkey can be set manually as follows: Xfce Settings->Keyboard->Application Shortcuts.

3 - For those with laptops or notebooks, version 1.6 supports suspend (standby) in ACPI compliant systems. This function is mediated by Acpitool, and the PupShutdown suspend icon turns blue if the utility is installed, or grey if disabled. Keep in mind, the suspend option does not work equally in all systems. More information is available here, here, and here.

4 - PupShutdown is compatible with zigbert's Stardust desktop environment (DuDe), but Stardust uses a proprietary jwmrc-personal file which may overwrite the PSD hotkey entry. This is easily restored through PSD menu->Set preferences->Configuration options->H-key.

Maybe there is some trick there that can help your program to do what you like it to do?

seaside

#79 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Seaside what about this one then?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56077
title PupShutdown-1.6
Nooby,

That looks very nice and useful.

I'll have to check that out.

Thks,
s

Jasper

#80 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

Thank you for your continuing time, patience and help.

I reset the Event Manager time interval to 10 minutes with just my Wine sfs running with two Wine programs minimised to my system tray/task bar.

Then after some 12 minutes powered-off from my tower button - the save was effected because on rebooting the Event Manager save time was still set to 10 minutes.

As a separate trial I also used htop sorted by "S" to see what happened when I clicked the blue desktop save icon. The save was quick and effective (as checked upon rebooting), but the yellow message did not clear.

The way your main pet and your save pet programs work in my Lupu 5.25 is to my absolute satisfaction - but I do have a small concern that you intended my only option to be to use the new desktop save icon to save and power-off - so that perhaps some circumstance may arise which could leave me at risk of save file corruption. Normally I would save without any programs running and with all sfs unloaded and I run an automatic fsck on booting. I also take regular backups.

I will let you know if anything happens that I think you would want to read about and I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you discover the currently unexplained reasons as to how and why your program operates differently in 431 and 525.

My regards and huge thanks

Added:

seaside - to answer your question - yes, 100% sure.