Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 17:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
SFS-Exec
Page 7 of 11 [163 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:22    Post subject:  

Nooby,

Thanks, that was very helpful and one more request post what is in the file "/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE".

Regards,
s
(I have no idea what the "fuse' refers to - I don't have that on any of my mounts Smile )
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:25    Post subject:  

Don't get alarmed me have fluppy13s

The s stands for sfs and flp is Jemimah's way to say Fluppy
here it is

PUPMODE=12
PDEV1='sda3'
DEV1FS='ntfs'
PUPSFS='sda3,ntfs,/fluppy13s/flp-013.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda3,ntfs,/fluppy13s/flpsave.3fs'
PMEDIA='scsihd'
#v3.97: kernel with libata pata has both sata and pata drives in ATADRIVES...
ATADRIVES='sda '
#these directories are unionfs layers in /initrd...
SAVE_LAYER='/pup_rw'
PUP_LAYER='/pup_ro2'
#The partition that has the flpsave file is mounted here...
PUP_HOME='/mnt/dev_save'
#(in /initrd) ...note, /mnt/home is a link to it.
#this file has extra kernel drivers and firmware...
ZDRV=''
#complete set of modules in the initrd (moved to main f.s.)...
ZDRVINIT='no'
PSWAPFILE=''
PSAVEMARK=''
FASTPARTS='sda1|ntfs sda2|ntfs sda3|ntfs '

seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:38    Post subject:  

Nooby,

Thanks. Your information confirms that some additional coding is required to test where the pupsave file is mounted.

Unfortunately it's not always the same and depends on what kind of installation.

So basically, in your case, the pupsave file was not changed to a "read-only" system which is what was intended.

Thanks for testing this and I'll have to ponder how to change this.

Regards,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:40    Post subject:  

Very naive question from Nooby. Can I not tell it to be ro through CLI then or even use a gui and set permissions and such Smile
seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:50    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Very naive question from Nooby. Can I not tell it to be ro through CLI then or even use a gui and set permissions and such Smile

Nooby,

Yes, in some cases. Would you post just one more output. The contents of "/etc/rc.d/rc.local"?

Thanks,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 13:00    Post subject:  

#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
modprobe evdev

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
mv /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppyHOLD
mount -o remount,ro /dev/loop1

Could it be that there is different loops to consider?

Sorry me so eager but not having knowledge for it.

Back when I tried out sfs-exec on Snowpup this did happen while preparing the preferences.

Did I tell you about my failure to change the background picture. It held a kind of copy of Snowpup's snowy Finland and I wanted a Cat or Dog there. And I changed the name of the file and renamed the cat file exactly same and placed it in right folder and so on. Nope the original file was copied over from the sfs or something. Could not be changed.

Could not something similar go on here. The pupsavefile we see is a copy and not the one one need to reach to change to ro and the one we see get copied unto the original that is rw when one reboot.

Just a wild totally long shot kind of hunch

seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 13:34    Post subject:  

Nooby,

Interesting. In a terminal if you type "mount -o remount,ro /dev/loop1 " and if successful then type "mount". does "/dev/loop1" show as "read-only" ( you can tell because it should look something like "(ro,noatime)" .

Regards,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 14:02    Post subject:  

# mount -o remount,ro /dev/loop1
mount: /initrd/pup_rw is busy
#
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda3 on /initrd/mnt/dev_save type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_rw type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /initrd/mnt/tmpfs type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=149600k)
/dev/loop0 on /initrd/pup_ro2 type squashfs (ro,noatime)
unionfs on / type aufs (rw,relatime,si=43ca2dd3)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=256212k)
tmpfs on /mnt/unrootfs type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=4096k)
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=2,mode=620)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
#

seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 14:32    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
# mount -o remount,ro /dev/loop1
mount: /initrd/pup_rw is busy
#

The command "mount -o remount,ro /dev/loop1" should have remounted your pupsave file as "read-only" (ro) as it does with my tests. In your case, it failed to remount and I'm not sure why.

Thank you for testing.

Regards,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:10    Post subject:  

Tomorrow or some other day I test it on Quirky 1.4 to see how that goes.
seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:36    Post subject:  

Jasper wrote:
Hi seaside,

I am delighted with your "SFS-Exec" and your original "save and power-off" pets and, personally, I neither need nor ask for any changes.

However, whilst I have not the least understanding of what may be practicable; it may (most highly improbably, just may) please all of the users all of the time if the blue save icon were made into a right click menu.

So that say,

In off mode it would show a large red cross (flashing or static) on the blue background and any auto save setting would be set to zero and it would be impossible to save by any normal method (with or without any useful additional reminder note).

In super-save mode there would be a large green tick on the blue background indicating that it is safe to save (and/or backup to any location) on-the-fly (without prospective corruption) and any timer setting would be reset to zero and no other normal save method would be available.

In normal save mode there would be the original blue desktop icon, but a save interval could be set as preferred (perhaps even superimposed on the icon) and the normal save would take place on a menu reboot or power-off as well as adhoc use of this mode.

My regards

Jasper,

What I had in mind was to have the ability to "save-to-pupsave-file" only on demand. If a host of options and modes were introduced, my mind would be constantly taxed as to when, and under what circumstances, material is being saved to the pupsave file - a sure way for me to end up saving what I don't want and not saving what I do want. Smile

I appreciate all your testing which is always a lot of work because of the constant install, reboot, rearrangement of icons, savepup problems, etc that go along with this.

Best regards,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 15:44    Post subject:  

Seaside, if it is too demanding. Too many variables to keep track of then what about the experiment done by one of the active members.
Shutdown without save. I mean how does he do that. Should one not be able to use that one as a reboot without saving then?
I love the SFS.Exec thing that already works part from the little glitch I hit upon. One can warn to not do that and only go the recommended route.

So if one add his shutdown without save then that combination would do what one want. To be able to leave without saving if one have messed up and then it boots and all is okay. okay one can just get a backed up version instead and copy that one over the corrupted one.

seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 16:52    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Seaside, if it is too demanding. Too many variables to keep track of then what about the experiment done by one of the active members.
Shutdown without save. I mean how does he do that. Should one not be able to use that one as a reboot without saving then?
I love the SFS.Exec thing that already works part from the little glitch I hit upon. One can warn to not do that and only go the recommended route.

So if one add his shutdown without save then that combination would do what one want. To be able to leave without saving if one have messed up and then it boots and all is okay. okay one can just get a backed up version instead and copy that one over the corrupted one.

Nooby,

Are you referring to "pupshutdown" (which looks very nice)? I didn't notice there was that option, I'll take a look at that.

All the the methods I've seen for avoiding a save to the pupsave file involve the same concept of either editing the shutdown script so as to avoid using "snapmergepuppy" or disabling it as SFS-Exec-pupsave does.

Regards,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 16:59    Post subject:  

There is a chance oops a risk that I've read that text too carelessly. 11PM soon so I look in here tomorrow as usual Smile
seaside

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2011, 18:52    Post subject:  

Nooby,

I just realized from your post of the "PUPSTATE" file that you were running in "pupmode=12" mode which is a pupsave on a harddisk.

The SFS-Exec was originally conceived for "pupmode=5" and the SFS-Exec-Save-pup expanded that to "pupmode=13" which assumes a pupsave file on a usb thumb drive.

The layering filesystems are different and as far as I know, if you have a pupsave file on a harddisk, everything is written directly to the pupsave file. So this does not prevent saving when used this way.

Regards,
s
Page 7 of 11 [163 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: