links2

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
oui

links2

#1 Post by oui »

at reading the discuss about "next pup" from iguleder I did find that his approach of reduction of puppy is good but not consequent enough.

a lot of software is not really needed.

the next interesting approach is the project pussy from sickgut

in my eyes, it is not a puppy any more but a special Debian.

and I did reinstall SID freshly as my old installation is now only the product of actualizations and relatively heavy.

SID can also be installed very small and includes a big part of the devx of a standard Puppy. it is important to discern it making a comparison! the more important difference is of a system can be run entirely out the RAM or not...

in the discussion about "next pup" came the idea to make a version without Xwindow!

why not?

I did install in the last time "Links2" in all my installations because I am sad to have to tolerate a lot of spam advertisements from google on all page catching my choice and making my processor unnecessary busy and his cooler very loud because google send more and more videos with an heavy sound management! I agree that advertisement has to be accepted as price for free internet but not in such SPAMS forms... and Links2 make me free of it on all fields where I don't need some flash or java etc. ...

I install it in Debian or in Quirky / Puppy using following *.deb packages from the Debian depositories

with it it is possible to surf under graphical environment out the commando line using the adequate parameters of links2:

Code: Select all

# links2 -g -driver svgalib -mode 1024x768x16M32
(see proposal of links2 in the error message!)

my problem is that in Puppy's CLI it seems to be not possible to use the mouse! the same thing happens in the linux version of the old DOS graphical browser Arachne in Puppy's CLI (I did suppose that it is a matter from Arachne but it appears to be a matter not dependent from the browser now!)

what can be the reason?

it would be possible to build puppy differently:

in a zip file as Petihar did make in his puplets:
  • * a core without Xwindow and without Xwindow applications
  • * a *.sfs for comfortable working without Xwindow (gpm, clex, links2, didiwiki, alsa, feh, imagemagick, cups, gutenprint to print out what didiwiki can elaborate in links2 with bold, italic, underlined etc..., samba, and a CLI also script only form (if not possible to activate by using the browser Links2 in svga mode) of the usual equipment of the menu directories "Desktop", "System", "Setup", "Utility" and "Filesystem"
  • * divers *.sfs (maybe only one, maybe more) with diverse stage of Xwindow equipment:
for example:

- strictly jwm only, a scientific calculator, leafpad, ayttm over the complete usual equipment of the menu directories "Desktop", "System", "Setup", "Utility" and "Filesystem"

- more heavy mixtures with other window managers, browser, applications preinstalled!
Attachments
links2.jpg
(61.88 KiB) Downloaded 502 times

oui

#2 Post by oui »

the problem is perhaps localized:

it seems to be a matter of configuration of the file /etc/vga/libvga.config

jpeps

#3 Post by jpeps »

I would think that people who don't want to load X wouldn't be using links2 in graphics mode or wanting to click a mouse, but then again.....

harii4

#4 Post by harii4 »

Why not use TXZ_pup for the base?
It has an CLI package manager - pkgtool
you almost certainly don't have your mouse set up to work within a command line interface (CLI) yet. Or perhaps you can't use or don't need an X server, yet you still need to use a mouse. The solution is simple: gpm, the General Purpose Mouse server.
Attachments
pkgtool.jpg
(32.58 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

harii4

#5 Post by harii4 »

SORRY - you do have gpm installed. :?

I use "links-hacked" from slackfind.net
it just adds buttons to links2 :)
Attachments
links-hacked.jpg
(15.93 KiB) Downloaded 702 times
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.