How to make a Puppy Kiosk out of Lucid Puppy 5.2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jaspmatt

#31 Post by jaspmatt »

I'm probably missing something in these instructions but I do not understand how to password protect items in the right-click desktop menu that should not have user access.
My menu now looks like this:

Firefox web browser
Urxvt terminal emulator
NicoEdit text editor
Remaster Puppy live-CD
<separator>
Shutdown

How do I prevent users from selecting anything except Firefox and shutdown?

shadower_sc

Creating the Final Kiosk CD

#32 Post by shadower_sc »

Hi jaspmatt,

The short answer is that you need to only have Firefox and Shutdown in your menu. That will keep anyone (Including You) from having access to the other programs.

The Long answer is located here: Kiosk Setup Final Touches.doc

Look for the section "Finish editing the /tmp/root/.jwmrc menu:".

Let me know, if you need further guidance.

Sincerely,
-Joe-

shadower_sc

Disable Firefox Update

#33 Post by shadower_sc »

Hello again. :)

This update is a suggestion for those that do not want to update Firefox until there is a non experimental version of ProCon Latte to go along with it.

Disable the Updates to Firefox.

Open the Tools Menu and select Options. This brings up the options menu. Click on the Advanced option. Then click on the Update tab in the Advanced section. Disable the Firefox updates by removing the check mark next to Firefox. You can also disable the Automatic Updates to the Add-ons and Search Engines here as well.

jaspmatt

#34 Post by jaspmatt »

Hello shadower,

I have a remastered Puppy CD/iso with only those things in the menu from my post above.
How do I install it on my /dev/sda4 partition so that it takes the place of the full 5.2 installation that is there now? I don't want to have to boot from USB or CD. Thanks.

shadower_sc

#35 Post by shadower_sc »

shadower_sc wrote:...

This is how to start the Puppy Universal Installer.

Boot the Puppy Kiosk CD.

Click on the Menu and select RXVT Terminal Emulator.
Type "/usr/sbin/puppyinstaller".

That will start the Puppy Universal Installer.

Install to your HDD. Good to go.

I have not uninstalled or removed any programs from the original disk.

As a side note, if you have a PUPSAVE file your changes should save. All I have done with my Puppy Kiosk is prevent it from creating the PUPSAVE file where one does not exist.

There are some tutorials on the forum that show how to install Puppy Linux to the HDD. Search in this forum for "How to install Puppy Linux to the Hard Drive" or something like that, if you need a step by step tutorial on how to do a normal Puppy Linux install to the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).

oldmac2006

Create ISO from PuppyLiveCDBuild

#36 Post by oldmac2006 »

I created a new Kiosk look and then went to remaster puppy live CD to create an ISO image, saving the files onto a Flash Drive, it created the PuppyLiveCDBuild folder, but no ISO image. So I created an ISO image from those files in the PuppyLiveCDBuild folder using ISO Master, my issue is that when I burn that ISO to a CD the CD will not then boot, says insert proper boot media. My question is: Can I build an ISO from just those files in the PuppyLiveCDBuild folder? or do I need to put some other file in there as well? I looked at what files where on the Original create a Kiosk ISO from here, the only file missing from my ISO in comparison was a boot.cat file, so I added that to another ISO and burnt it, this one said: "could not find Linux". Assume boot.cat points to a Linux kernel?
On the Flash drive outside of the PuppyLiveCDBuild folder are 2 other files called : ldlinux.sys and Lupu_520.sfs. Should I add these?
I did not want to have to start from scratch again but it would be good to know if this can be done and add it to my knowledge base :)
Many thanks
Cheers
Mac

shadower_sc

RE: Create ISO from PuppyLiveCDBuild

#37 Post by shadower_sc »

Hi MAC,

In theory the PuppyLiveCDBuild folder is the folder that all the files are temporarily saved to before creating the ISO. I have not tested creating an ISO from the folder, but you should be able to. I will put this on my to do list, but as it isn't something I need to do it may be a while. I would like to know the how of this as much as you, but I am running crazy at work right now.

Sincerely,
-Joe-

P.S.
I did a search of the forums and didn't come up with anything beyond the fact that some people have had similar issues before. I would guess that you did not have enough space on the flash drive to create the ISO file or you chose no when it asked you, if you wanted to create an ISO.

oldmac2006

RE: Create ISO from PuppyLiveCDBuild

#38 Post by oldmac2006 »

G'day Joe,

I thought (Dementia) I had clicked yes to create an ISO, but when I took the USB out ... there was not one there. So that's when I thought I would create one from the Folder :-)
I have since redone the setup I wanted and created an ISO when prompted :-) ..it worked OK and all is good. So knowing if it works from the folder is not important.

I have managed to get a public Internet kiosk with just Firefox with no options and no menu bar, Caption or title bar. I found the right click on the Firefox symbol gave users the ability to stuff with the settings(Remember I prefer to run from Hard Drive instead of CD). Hiding the Caption/Title bar fixed that.

I would like to know how to stop the 2nd desktop being available?

Cheers
Mark

shadower_sc

Disable Virtual Desktops in JWM

#39 Post by shadower_sc »

Hi Mark,

To disable the Virtual Desktops choose 1 as the number of Virtual Desktops.

Start the JWM Configuration tool.
Click on Tray Management.
Click on Virtual Desktops.
Enter 1 in the Textbox.
Done.

I banged my head against the wall far too long on this one. Luckily I found this tutorial that was of help: http://puppy.b0x.me/wiki/doku.php?id=jwm.

-Joe-

oldmac2006

Disable Virtual Desktops

#40 Post by oldmac2006 »

G'day Joe,
Thanks heaps ... that was a real concern for me. There are a couple of other options there that I was wondering about also.Now I know that too.
Easy when you look :-)
Cheers
Mac

shadower_sc

ProCon Latte Update - Officially Released

#41 Post by shadower_sc »

Hello again Everyone,

This is just a quick note letting you know that ProCon Latte has had a new "Official Release" and is now "Officially" compatible with the newest release of Firefox v.6.02. I just ran a quick test and all seemed to work well. I will be updating my Kiosk to run the new "Official" release. I may also update my Instructions on making a Puppy Kiosk. I know there are a few things I could do better and now I have an excuse to do them. :-)

Sincerely,
-Joe-

shadower_sc

Making a Puppy kiosk using Lucid Puppy 5.28

#42 Post by shadower_sc »

I used the updated instructions and successfully created a Puppy Kiosk using Lucid Puppy 5.28.

The only main difference is in the rc.shutdown file.
You need to comment out Lines 632-741 to disable save on shutdown/reboot.

I also installed Acrobat Reader 9.4.7 using the .bin file from: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions
Step#1 Linux
Step #2 English
Step #3 Reader 9.4.7 English for Linux (.bin)
(Download Now)

Installing Acrobat Reader 9.4.7 also installs a plugin for Firefox that allows you to view PDF files inside the Firefox window.

shadower_sc

Public Fox Addon

#43 Post by shadower_sc »

I encountered an oddity in public fox. You have to set your password otherwise it will not re-open your bookmarks toolbar after you closed it.

shadower_sc

Firefox Full Screen Issue in Lucid Puppy 5.2

#44 Post by shadower_sc »

I had issues with Firefox not exiting from full screen correctly. I updated JWM and that fixed the problem. Here is a link to a pet that works with Lupu 5.28: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 74-w5c.pet

pemasu pointed me to this post where I got the link: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02646

shadower_sc

Syncing Clock with Psync

#45 Post by shadower_sc »

Automatic / Manual Time Sync
Step #1 Run /usr/local/psync/psync and setup the time.

Choose the Autostart option and it will create the file timesync.sh in the Startup folder.

Step #2 Create a button on the .jwmrc-tray that points to the timesync.sh script. (This manually sets the time, if there was no internet connectivity when you started the computer.)

Edit the file /root/.jwmrc-tray and add the following line:
<TrayButton pupup="Sync Time" icon=mini-clock.xpm">exec:/root/Startup/timesync.sh</TrayButton>

Step #3 Edit the /root/Startup/timesync.sh script. Add the following line to the top of the file after the first four commented out lines.

Code: Select all

[ ! "`grep 'ntp 123/tcp' /etc/services`" ] && echo -e "ntp 123/tcp\nntp 123/udp" >> /etc/services
(These are the first set of commands that run at the start of the psync script.) Apparently the service needs to be created otherwise timesync.sh will not work.

Notes:
You should Not Need to run the following commands:
export UTC=true
hwclock --hctosys --utc

It did not work correctly when I put the export and hwclock lines in the timesync.sh script. Every time I ran timesync.sh it set the time at later and later times. I think it would eventually come back around to the correct time, but that was definitely not what I was wanting it to do.
Last edited by shadower_sc on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

shadower_sc

Boot to Desktop without Having to setup xorg

#46 Post by shadower_sc »

playdayz shared with us how to boot straight to desktop from a Live-CD without having to setup xorg. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67393

One Great side effect of the magic that happens using his system is you get a generic resolution.

Puppy Linux has issues with the built-in radeon graphics on my old kiosk machine. When I run xorgwizard it comes out like I am looking through a REALLY dirty fish tank.

Using his workaround for xorg I get the highest resolution my monitor supports and it looks good.

Now I don't have to bang my head agains the wall trying to figure out something I just want to work.

greengeek

#47 Post by greengeek »

Just to clarify - will this kiosk allow usage of youtube, Facebook, and all the usual webmail sites? (as long as not specified in the whitelist)? cheers.

shadower_sc

Puppy Kiosk Whitelist

#48 Post by shadower_sc »

greengeek wrote:Just to clarify - will this kiosk allow usage of youtube, Facebook, and all the usual webmail sites? (as long as not specified in the whitelist)? cheers.
A Whitelist is a list of items/sites that are allowed. A Blacklist is a list of items/sites that are Not Allowed.

A Whitelist is by default more secure, because the person can Only go to the places you have specified.

A Blacklist is by default less secure, because the person can go Anywhere except for the places you have specified.

My instructions are designed around using the Kiosk with a whitelist, but the Blacklist functionality is built in to the programs/plug-ins I used. Which means it should be relatively simple to use a Whitelist or Blacklist with the Kiosk.