How to make a Puppy Kiosk out of Lucid Puppy 5.2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
shadower_sc

Boot to Desktop without Having to setup xorg

#46 Post by shadower_sc »

playdayz shared with us how to boot straight to desktop from a Live-CD without having to setup xorg. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67393

One Great side effect of the magic that happens using his system is you get a generic resolution.

Puppy Linux has issues with the built-in radeon graphics on my old kiosk machine. When I run xorgwizard it comes out like I am looking through a REALLY dirty fish tank.

Using his workaround for xorg I get the highest resolution my monitor supports and it looks good.

Now I don't have to bang my head agains the wall trying to figure out something I just want to work.

greengeek

#47 Post by greengeek »

Just to clarify - will this kiosk allow usage of youtube, Facebook, and all the usual webmail sites? (as long as not specified in the whitelist)? cheers.

shadower_sc

Puppy Kiosk Whitelist

#48 Post by shadower_sc »

greengeek wrote:Just to clarify - will this kiosk allow usage of youtube, Facebook, and all the usual webmail sites? (as long as not specified in the whitelist)? cheers.
A Whitelist is a list of items/sites that are allowed. A Blacklist is a list of items/sites that are Not Allowed.

A Whitelist is by default more secure, because the person can Only go to the places you have specified.

A Blacklist is by default less secure, because the person can go Anywhere except for the places you have specified.

My instructions are designed around using the Kiosk with a whitelist, but the Blacklist functionality is built in to the programs/plug-ins I used. Which means it should be relatively simple to use a Whitelist or Blacklist with the Kiosk.