How do you choose an email preference in icewm?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikey

How do you choose an email preference in icewm?

#1 Post by mikey »

how do you choose an email preference in icewm. I'm using thunderbird and would like to avail myself of the shortcut buttons.
thanks

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Have a look in /root/.icewm/toolbar

I presume you may be referring to the toolbar menu button?
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

edr4d

#3 Post by edr4d »

Edit /root/.icewm/preferences

MailCommand="thunderbird"

Do a search for the text MailCommand in the file preferences. Or else scroll way down and squint!

Does that change the email client on the menu bar?

And if you want to have IceWM monitor a pop3 account you can do a search for "mail" in the preferences file and set that up too, such as setting the time delay between checking the server, whether to have it sound a beep on new mail, etc.. Of course since you have changed the email preference to thunderbird, when you click the new mail icon (by the clock), it will launch thunderbird.

Oh, doesn't IceWM search for thunderbird before other clients when it (IceWM) first runs? maybe you have installed thunderbird recently

mikey

icewm preferences

#4 Post by mikey »

when I open a terminal and type in /root/.icewm/preferences I get a permission denied response

edr4d

#5 Post by edr4d »

you'll need to open the file with a text editor.

just use rox to go to the .icewm directory (of course you'll have to choose 'show hidden files' by clicking the appropriate icon on menu of rox once you're in /root) and click on the preferences file and beaver will open the file. That should do it.

edr4d

#6 Post by edr4d »

Oh, instead of the significantly ansynchronous converstion on this forum maybe you'd like to enter the chat at #puppylinux on freenode. this could have been handled in two minutes -- there's helpful and knowledgable puppy people there most often (the chat link at the top of the page is currently wrong, don't use it as it goes to the old chat, which is no longer used).