Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
is puppy secure?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
Author Message
qkj001

Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb 2011, 04:37    Post subject:  is puppy secure?  

hy. ,i need your answer,,

is puppy linux secure from hacker?

thx,before
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb 2011, 06:25    Post subject:  

The most reliable or correct answer is that if the hacker really want to they almost always find a way to hack into someones computer. If they are really desperate then they buy somebody you trust and them visit you and play the CD with latest music and that music download the spyware or trojan something into your computer. Or they make use of your wireless connection and Wep takes maybe 5 minutes and WPA for some takes 15 to 30 or more depending on how good computer they use. Swedish TV showed that it was possible to hack into a wireless even when it was secured but it was not easy so they need to be really motivated.

Then you have the injection code that comes from 100,000 sites that is plain ordinary sights that they have taken over the servers that host the sites and they can lure you to download things using redirection of lings to Facebook or other sites that many people make use of.

But I guess you ask Puppy in relation to other linux distros that are multi user where every user have to log in or do sudo.


I think it depends on how determined the hacker is. Most of them are doing Ms Windows machines or Linux servers and not hacking into personal computers with linux on them unless they know they can get much money doing it.

so it is not predictable.

Others here can give better answers.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Lobster
Official Crustacean


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 15117
Location: Paradox Realm

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb 2011, 08:51    Post subject:  

Quote:
is puppy linux secure from hacker?


Yes. Smile

Detective Inspector Bruce van der Graaf from the Computer Crime Investigation Unit told the hearing that he uses two rules to protect himself from cyber-criminals when banking online. The first rule, he said, was to never click on hyperlinks to the banking site and the second was to avoid Microsoft Windows. "If you are using the internet for a commercial transaction, use a Linux boot up disk - such as Ubuntu or some of the other flavours. Puppylinux is a nice small distribution that boots up fairly quickly. It gives you an operating system which is perfectly clean and operates only in the memory of the computer and is a perfectly safe way of doing internet banking," van der Graaf said.


Turn the firewall on (Lucid 5.2 bottom right, right click)

Puppy Linux with Linux kernel running from CD, can not be hacked
As they are in a burnt (secured) source

Keep your data on an unmounted USB or Hard drive

Need military grade security?
Try all this if you must:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Security

_________________
Puppy WIKI

Last edited by Lobster on Wed 16 Feb 2011, 07:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
qkj001

Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb 2011, 06:20    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:


so it is not predictable.

Others here can give better answers.


yuppz, n i hope hacker not attack me..
Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
qkj001

Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb 2011, 06:27    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
is puppy linux secure from hacker?


Yes. Smile

Detective Inspector Bruce van der Graaf from the Computer Crime Investigation Unit told the hearing that he uses two rules to protect himself from cyber-criminals when banking online. The first rule, he said, was to never click on hyperlinks to the banking site and the second was to avoid Microsoft Windows. "If you are using the internet for a commercial transaction, use a Linux boot up disk - such as Ubuntu or some of the other flavours. Puppylinux is a nice small distribution that boots up fairly quickly. It gives you an operating system which is perfectly clean and operates only in the memory of the computer and is a perfectly safe way of doing internet banking," van der Graaf said.


Turn the firewall on (Lucid 5.2 bottom left right click)

Puppy Linux with Linux kernel running from CD, can not be hacked
As they are in a burnt (secured) source

Keep your data on an unmounted USB or Hard drive

Need military grade security?
Try all this if you must:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Security

waow,,thx for your referense..I will try it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
postfs1


Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 831

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb 2011, 19:53    Post subject:  

Someone is detective inspector... Laughing
_________________
  • I don't know why laboratories are named a hospitals.
  • The alive personage is like a tea bag with granules of unknown density inside, at that one the packet was made of organic material and was placed in the evaporated liquid or liquid.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Trobin

Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 907
Location: BC Canada

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb 2011, 01:52    Post subject:  

I suppose Puppy Linux is probably one of the more secure systems around, expecially when run as a live CD. However, I wouldn't suggest that Pu7ppy Linux, or any other OS is totally secure.

As an experiment, I set up a computer running Lucid Puppy 5.20 off of a live CD. Using a computer running Vista, I did a port scan of the Puppy machine and found the following open ports.

Port-----25 Simple Mail
Port----110 Post Office
Port----119 Network
Port----143 Internet Messenging
Port----463 URL Rendezvous
Port----563 NNTP
Port----587 Submission
Port----993 IMAP 4 Protocol
Port----995 POP 3 Protocol

_________________
http://speakpup.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bruce B


Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 11080
Location: The Peoples Republic of California

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 14:49    Post subject:  

Trobin,

I'm surprised. Would you describe the port scanning technology or service, so
I could look into it?

Bruce

_________________
New! Puppy Linux Links Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
abushcrafter


Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 1447
Location: England

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 16:25    Post subject:  

PLEASE LEAN what “hack, hacker, hacking, hacked, etc” means. It does not mean nasty evil stuff. Cracker is the word you want. See:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#what_is
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/hackers-wante/

_________________
adobe flash is rubbish!
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
qkj001

Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 18:19    Post subject:  

abushcrafter wrote:
PLEASE LEAN what “hack, hacker, hacking, hacked, etc” means. It does not mean nasty evil stuff. Cracker is the word you want. See:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#what_is
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/hackers-wante/

ehm,sorry i' don't know about it. .i'm newbie in IT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 18:25    Post subject:  

qkj001 don't feel bad. I was a newbie already 1985 or so not sure then I was very Newbie on Unix 1989 to 1990 and then I gave up on Unix/Linux but I heard about the difference of Hacking vs Cracking already then 1989 and then it was an honor to be a Hacker. Status was very high in our Computer Club. Cracking though we all looked down upon.

So sure he is right but today so many use the words interchangeably that even I whom should know better make your mistake at times.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Trobin

Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 907
Location: BC Canada

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 19:38    Post subject:  

Bruce B wrote:
Trobin,

I'm surprised. Would you describe the port scanning technology or service, so
I could look into it?

Bruce


I used Blue`s Port scanner V4.0, running on a vista laptop, and plugged in the test computer`s ip address.

http://www.bluebitter.de/portscn2.htm

I scanned another computer running Windows 7 Starter. Puppy is way more secure.

_________________
http://speakpup.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Jasper


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 1087
Location: England

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 20:18    Post subject:  

Hi Trobin,

Web of Trust (WoT) reports http://www.bluebitter.de/portscn2.htm has a bad reputation.

I use https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and with the standard firewall setting (plus NoScript and OpenDNS) my protection tests are perfect.

No OS is safe from phishing. Only sensible and conservative user habits and care provide such protection.

My regards

I like to use and rely upon WoT even though I'm aware it cannot be perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
abushcrafter


Joined: 30 Oct 2009
Posts: 1447
Location: England

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 21:04    Post subject:  

qkj001 wrote:
abushcrafter wrote:
PLEASE LEAN what “hack, hacker, hacking, hacked, etc” means. It does not mean nasty evil stuff. Cracker is the word you want. See:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#what_is
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/hackers-wante/

ehm,sorry i' don't know about it. .i'm newbie in IT
I know, that's why I was informing you. The use of capital letters was not meant with anger/shouting. I meant it to be a expression of a plea,beg,depressing sigh emotions. That plea was also a bog standard response.
_________________
adobe flash is rubbish!
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Trobin

Joined: 18 Aug 2005
Posts: 907
Location: BC Canada

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb 2011, 22:55    Post subject:  

Possible. I was using a freeware scanner not treally willing to pay for it. I did try another, freeware Advanced Port Scanner, and gave me two open ports, 25 smpt, and 110 pop3. With the firewall on.
_________________
http://speakpup.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0868s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0036s) ][ GZIP on ]