Newbie journal

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Krysztau

Newbie journal

#1 Post by Krysztau »

Hi,
This is my pupping journal. I am complete newbie with a bit of imagination what those tiny people inside my PC look like and enough brain to klick here if it says "click here".

I installed Fedora once before, now excited by 120MB os on USB stick I simply couldn't resist.

Finally I have my puppy up and running and would like to share my day to day experience, fo sake of giving feedback to developers.

I will happily share whenever I encounter any trouble and even more happily if I will find a solution. I know that some people will post a solution here, but if not - sooner or later I will ;)

So for the starter:
I wanted badly to bypass burning CD, however finally I gave up.
I tried to run puppy in virtual machine n windows and there create bootable USB, but I didn't succeed, however I didn't try that bootfat option (in universal installer).

After instalation I managed to use my USB dongle for the internet, however puppy didn't see my built in wifi adapter. Firstly I tried Frisbee [no success] than I tried "Network Wizard" but it was absolute failure. I neither understood that tool nor its feedbacks.
Finally I downloaded broadcom and my wifi magically appeared.

Next I want to have an icon on desktop that will run an .exe file in wine. I noticed that when I click .exe, wine takes control, but i need to mount file first.

Therefore i created new script in /usr/local/bin called defaultprogram, and stated to think how do I mount a HD using console.
No info whatsoever. mount /dev/sda1 return this nasty problem with some unexisting catalogue that does not exist.
Finally I understood that to mount sda1 I need to

mkdir /mnt/dsa1
and then
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

I put those commands in my script and it works.

Now I need to add exec /mnt/sda1/users/me/exes/program.exe

and hopefully wine will do the rest for me if not I will replace exec with wine and maybe that will do.

That's it for now. I hope it's wise what I'm doing here. I wouldn't post in that neewbie feedback forum because I would like old dogs to see also what way my thinking goes.

for the future reference. My aim is to discover why actually using puppy is so cool and learn how to vrite more complicated things than plug and run scripts.

Thanks and see you soon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Krysztau

#3 Post by Krysztau »

Thank you for your reply. Naturally I will study this school thing, I would appreciate similar link to some good coders gramarschool. Before all that learning however I have another bunch of issues that I am dealing with.

On a success front:
Firstly I managed to create my very own desktop, I created a new icon for Bcrypt, and changed a default icon for encrypted files (png atached)

i also saved my icon set.
"file" takes me to /
"write" opens LeafPad
"PPG" opens Package Manager

Actually "file" icon was a tricky one. I had to add one line of code in script before roxy is executed in line 2

cd /

Still to solve:

I need to figure out how to disconnect dial up modem - now I simply keep dial up log open [it has disconnect button on the bottom].

I need to prevent touchpad from random touchclicks when I type.
I enabled "palm detection" and reduced sensitivity, but I am not sure if it's enough as I bought tiny USB mouse.

I need to work out how to swich on/off touchpad totally without using mouse at all. Now I just disabled touch-clicks for my own safety.

I have also Fn key on my keybord, that allows some extra functions - I can switch off speaker, or adjust brightness. But switch off touchpad doesn't work - most likely I can activate it in keyboard setup, but I'm afraid of messing up with it. So will leave for now.

Wifi works nice, but when there is too many available I can't see "connect" button.

it would be clever to make a scrollable list of wifi networks to keep the window shorter than 600 px.

I see you soon.
Attachments
padlock.png
padlock - used for encrypted files
(2.6 KiB) Downloaded 907 times
bcrypt.png
Bcrypt icon 48x48
(3.19 KiB) Downloaded 917 times

Krysztau

#4 Post by Krysztau »

It's me again.
I have my wifi running, so I hoped for some WINE instalation. In slacko that I use it is a piece of cake, however.

I have three packages to choose from.
wine
wine_DEV
wine_DOC

version is all the same but those three letters bother me.
I want to be a security trickster and I cant google three damn letters...

Google: "buy Wine by the case"...
Its gone too far. I'm taking the first in the row.

Could anyone nice point me to the place where all those EXEs DEVs DOCs and NLSes are explained?
I'm not afraid of "words" anything from begginer to intermediate should be good for me.

thanks.

RSH

#5 Post by RSH »

DEV means it contains files for development.
DOC means it contains the Documents
NLS means it contains Languages
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

Krysztau

#7 Post by Krysztau »

Thank you for claryfying :)

Here we come to another obstacle:
Psychology.

I have tried available browsers (dilio, Aurora Seamonkey and Opera)
What I was looking for was something with RSS and simple email client on it. Opera was good, but disapointed me on the field of add-ons.

Finally I resigned from built in email client and switched to Aurora. It has this cool gostery thing and cool button to disable Javascript instantly. I feel safe now ;)

Later i found that cool simple mail add-on that downloaded headers and no body (unless I asked it to). Unfortunately I got my settings deleted twice, and now I can't edit settings anymore. So I just gave up. I have no email client at all (I tried Sylpheed but it's way to slow,and when it thinks it doesn't show any progress bar. You just start thinking that it hanged).

The point I'm making here is that at some point you just don't boher anymore. You go back to other OS, or maybe other linux distro...
I don't know what to do about it, what would be the solution for this particular thing. I don't know why there is only one email client in my puppy package manager, I think I have updated it once. Maybe I'll try again...
I have

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper »

Hi Krysztau,

SeaMonkey has a good (but simple) in-built email facility and amongst available extras are Ghostery, NoScript, WoT and Request Policy.

My regards

PS I see I failed to comment on RSS and viewing email headers (and/or more) and you failed to name the missing Opera features that you wanted,

Krysztau

#9 Post by Krysztau »

to reply what opera lacks -
In aurora I have quickJS add-on, that disable javascript with one click. I prefer this one to those with separate settings for every website.

The key issue I can see is a googling thing. I managed to google out some basic things, but now I am still looking for any e-mail client that will download headers only and couldn't find anything (except Kmail, that I understand doesn't work in Puppy)

Before I saw here and there some "command line clients", but I can't find any of those anymore.

Since my last post "simple mail" deleted my settings another two times...

Now I am desperate and I am going to run my favourite K-9 mail which is android .apk, currently I am installing an appropriate virtual machine, and will let you know how does it work.

BTW - maybe someone know - is it easy to recode .apk so it fits slacko puppy? (K-9 is an open source)

I had also major issue with replacing my old slackosave with new one on my USB, but I will post it somewhere else (I assume there is no way to change password on my slackosave-cypta.sf2 other than replacing it with new fie with a new password)

proebler

change password on slackosave

#10 Post by proebler »

Krysztau wrote
I assume there is no way to change password on my slackosave-cypta.sf2 other than replacing it with new fie with a new password
see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 44&t=40402

there is a converter available by PaulBx1 in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 25&t=34452

I have found it very useful
cheers

Krysztau

#11 Post by Krysztau »

Wll, it came to this.
I had to post my question on the forum :)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 44&t=40402

I did my googling and searching, and thats it - issue was talked about, but I couldn't find my solution. And there is another psychologcal thing: is it just because my answer is not there, or am I just not oriented enough...
Now I feel a bit stupid.

I think that creating a kind of index of all issues may work pretty good. If I would do something for linux that would be it.

@proebler
Thanks!
I found this thing already. Here's the story:
I have 1GB USB, with 768 (or so) MB pupsav. I created same size copy with new password and saved it on HD.
Than I had an issue with replacing old one with new one.
I run puppy from my USB without reading pupsav so I hoped to delete old one and write new, but ater deletion there was info, tht there is not enough space for new one (free space was about 90 MB - equals to what it was before deletion.
I restarted thing hoping to have that space freed, but no help.
Finally I formatted disc totally, installed puppy, saved first session in 12MB puppysav-crypta.sf2, then I renamed pupsav from HD I intended to use, to have the same name as one from USB (just in case) and than dedleted old one and moved there a new one. Now it works, but it took at well over an hour to change stupid password.
Stil I am happy with a result.

Aitch

#12 Post by Aitch »

Krysztau

menu/utility/resize personal storage :wink:

most useful search utility

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

also see

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754
I think that creating a kind of index of all issues may work pretty good. If I would do something for linux that would be it.
A problem/solution database has been suggested many times...but no-one has coded anything...though forum threads can be downloaded and saved as html :(

Biggest long-term problems with the idea seems to be maintenance, dev/user move-on and deadlinks

Aitch :)

Krysztau

#13 Post by Krysztau »

Another trouble.
I have external monitor 1920x1090 pluged into old laptop (1024x768). I suspect, that my graphic card does not support such a big screen

So the problem is, when I start puppy both screens are working laptop and external. resolution in settings read 1024x768, but ext screen looks just fine (nice small icons etc.)
I don't want boilt in monitor to work. When I change settings the biggest available is 1680x1050 I switch to it - the built in monitor goes off and icons on ext screen got unnaturaly extended. I press cancel, laptop monitor stil is not working but in settings I can now chose 1920x1090.
I pick it and all is nice and tidy, however when I open optionsagain it says that my resolution is 1024x768 and what bothers me actually on next bootup puppy will open both screens again.

I found this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... or-838375/

I guess it answers my problem but I can't understand a word there...
And this is a huge setback in terms of popularizing linux in general.

I have also another issue. I can't open package manager. When I click it, some message blinks for a fraction of a second, so I can't read it. I already used it before, so maybe I have changed some settings by a mistake...

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

Krysztau

use wellminded search for xrandr or grandr for setting single or dual video settings
you need ppm to check video drivers, and hardware acceleration, too so hope you get that sorted

Aitch :)