Slacko: How to rescue my damaged JMW-configuration? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
wingevil

Slacko: How to rescue my damaged JMW-configuration? (Solved)

#1 Post by wingevil »

'never touch a running system" ...but I'm a foolish guy and did it and now I have problems. :shock: :shock: :shock:

What I did: I started the wm switcher and switched to fluxbox. Then I want to go back to JWM via wm switcher but the program didn't appear in the fluxbox menus. :cry:
So I edited the file /etc/windowsmanager; the only entry was 'startfluxbox' and I changed it to 'startjwm'
On next startup JWM apperared BUT
a) the start of the wm switcher is no more possible, nothing happened
b) I can't no more shutdown or reboot the box!!! Even the cli-command "shutdown' freezes the box.

Uuuurrrrgh, help me, please! I want to get back my perfect working JWM environment. :oops: Thanks in advance for any advice.

Michael
Last edited by wingevil on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Try this.

Start the system. Exit to the command prompt. Type "xwin jwm". Hopefully that helps.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

wingevil

#3 Post by wingevil »

01micko wrote:Try this.

Start the system. Exit to the command prompt. Type "xwin jwm". Hopefully that helps.
Uff! Yes, that works! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you very much!

btw, how do I normally switch to a command prompt in slacko? I use it with the 'trick' Ctrl-Al-t-F1 . But in a 'normal' distro like slackware I can use "logout" which is IMO not available/possible in slacko... (I think so) :?:

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

Hi Michael

With extremely rare exceptions (one test version a long time back and it drove me crazy), the default keycombo for Exit to Prompt in pups has been Ctrl+Alt+backspace

Couldn't say for sure since I don't have a slacko pup, but chances are 01micko wouldn't change that combo

hope that helps