Backup processes

For discussions about security.
mbridges1

Backup processes

#1 Post by mbridges1 »

I am running Lighthouse Puppy 443 on a Dell Inspiron B120 laptop. I have Windows Vista on a Dell Dimension Desktop. I use Carbonite to backup the Vista system. Carbonite only supports Windows and Mac OS.

I have created a shell script, initiated via cron, to copy changed data files from my Puppy system to the Windows system, which then backs up the files to Carbonite. The shell script was easy to set up and refine. It keeps track of whether the Windows system is accessible and if not increments the correct parameter in find accordingly the next time it runs. I named my Windows system DELLDESKTOP, created a user Puppy with password Linux on it, and then created a share named Backups. The script checks to make see if the share is mounted and if not mounts it. The script is stored in /root/my-applications and is freely available if desired.

It would be nice to be able to directly connect to a web server (i.e. Carbonite) from my Puppy system and copy files to the web server. I am looking for information to help me connect to a web server via the shell to copy (FTP?, SSH?) files to the web server. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.