Code: Select all

cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.14
make clean
make prepare
then i did:

Code: Select all

cd /
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.28-pkg1.run

Unfortunately the result (and messages) was exactly the same as described in my previous post. :(

Do you have any other suggestions i could try. :?:

If required, i could start with a fresh frugal install and re-run the steps above,
then attach any log files you think may help sort out the problem.

Just let me know what log files you may need.

Thanks again
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

FeodorF

Re: Seamonkey 2.0.12 doesn't work

#107 Post by FeodorF »

FeodorF wrote:Has anybody got Seamonkey 2.0.12 running on Wary 5xx (k-2.6.xx.xx) ?

Firefox 3.6.14 is also a no go with Wary 5xx

In Quirky 130 SM&FF just working fine.

Regards, FeodorF

update about SM and FF

Puppy Wary 5.1.1 K-2.6.31.14 and Puppy Wary 5.1.1 K-2.6.32.28 are missing the following files:

for Firefox-3.6.15 it is:
/usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3.4.0 and its link /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3

for Seamonkey-2.0.14 it is:
/usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2.1.0 and its link /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2

Those files can be found f.e. on your Quirky-120.iso CD/DVD.

Note:
If you start Firefox-3.6.15 you will be asked to update the Adobe Flash Player to version 10.2.152.27 - if you do so you will get a little surprise. Trio’s Youtopup wont work. The Flash Player is to be blamed - the video stream is put to /tmp in a different way now! Dam. !!

Regards,
FeodorF

cowboy

wary sound issue

#108 Post by cowboy »

I think I'm experiencing the same sound issue reported by "zekebaby" earlier in this thread. Intel soundcard, after creation of new savefile, sound and sound tray icon are fine for about 5-10 boots. Then, the tray icon disappears and I have no sound. Tried running alsawizard to no avail.

I can still see "retrovol" in the multimedia menu, but when I click on it, nothing happens. Also tried what seemed to work for zekebaby, deleting /dev/snd, and rebooting, but did not seem to work.

Don't seem to have this particular sound issue with either 4.3.1, or with LuPu 5.1.1 or LuPu 5.2.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

ravensrest

#109 Post by ravensrest »

If I have a window open in Wary 51, and then move it too close to the edge of the screen, it pops over to the other side. Is there a way to prevent this? Puppy 431 doesn't do this, and I much prefer it that way.
BS

Dean

#110 Post by Dean »

ravensrest wrote:If I have a window open in Wary 51, and then move it too close to the edge of the screen, it pops over to the other side. Is there a way to prevent this? Puppy 431 doesn't do this, and I much prefer it that way.
BS
I stop this by downgrading to jwm 492
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

ravensrest

#111 Post by ravensrest »

Hmm, just a few dozen questions here.

1) if one version of jwm does it and another doesn't, wouldn't this likely be a configurable feature?
2) how might one configure it?
3) how do I know what version I am currently running?
4) where does one find the appropriate software to install if 492 is to be run instead?
5) how does one install same?

There are various pets available in the repositories for jwm, but they seem to be labeled 1.0, 2.0, etc. There are also separate pets for jwmconfig. What all it needed and how does one install?

I have read the online material on configuring jwm, but see nothing obvious in it that relates to this particular problem. I edit my .jwmrc file quite a bit on occasion, but I've never seen anything in it that would prevent the flip-flop of the window.

It seems wrong to install the latest distro and then deliberately retrograde it. Is there not another fix?

Thanks,
BS

zekebaby

Re: wary sound issue

#112 Post by zekebaby »

cowboy wrote:I think I'm experiencing the same sound issue reported by "zekebaby" [snip] Also tried what seemed to work for zekebaby, deleting /dev/snd, and rebooting, but did not seem to work.
Try deleting the entire /dev directory structure before rebooting - that's what I do. Maybe there are some other sound card related devices installed by the driver needed by your particular card.

Colonel Panic

#113 Post by Colonel Panic »

I had a vexing but hopefully temporary problem with Wary last week, on my own machine; once, when I had about three or four apps open at the same time, my cursor disappeared and wouldn't work even though I could sometimes see where it was by its effect on the buttons of the apps I had open. A reboot cured this for the time being, but it'd be nice to solve it once and for all.

Best,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

gcmartin

Bug in pfix=ram allocation of memory

#114 Post by gcmartin »

I have found an issue that needs the developers to review and explain with PUPs system setup on a RAM.
Seems that several of us are running 4GB RAM and PUPs are NOT using or reporting incorrectly.;

See this.

Hope this helps

scsijon

#115 Post by scsijon »

barry, has said previously :oops: (i got caught once before with firefox and the last wary) that dbus and dbus-glib aren't there by default. Pet's are available and can be found if you want them, at:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ges-wary5/

regards
scsijon

James C

Re: Bug in pfix=ram allocation of memory

#116 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote:I have found an issue that needs the developers to review and explain with PUPs system setup on a RAM.
Seems that several of us are running 4GB RAM and PUPs are NOT using or reporting incorrectly.;
All 32 bit Linux kernels (without PAE enabled) are limited to using about 3.2 to 3.4 Gb of ram ........minus reserved ram for onboard graphics, etc. It's a kernel limitation that applies to all distros...not just Puppy.
As an example, I just booted Ubuntu 10.10 in a box with 4 Gb ram.... it only showed 2.7 Gb ram .....the 3.2 minus 512 Mb for the graphics equals the 2.7 Gb that shows.
The solution is a PAE enabled kernel or run a 64 bit version.

See here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost3458590

HTH.

seccolor

USB failure on Full Install

#117 Post by seccolor »

I make a reference to post from Country Bumkin on March 1st "uSB Mouse failure on full install".

My ZTE MF627 3G usb modem is not recognized when I boot from a Wary 5.1.1 full install, but works perfectly if I boot from the liveCD.

When I run 'lsusb':
- in liveCD mode, I get the list of my two USB ports;
- in full install mode, the result is nil as there is no output at all and I'm back to the command line prompt.

It is well beyond my knowledge to understand what is happening, but I volunteer to perform any test you might suggest to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,
seccolor

Indy452

#118 Post by Indy452 »

Does anyone know why 5.1 won't recognize that a hard drive is installed?

Use an IBM A20P everything works out of the box great other than the fact that either 5.1 Wary or Lucid 5.2 see my hard drive....Gparted sees nothing when running live. Bug? Or is there a fix?

Thx...

Indy452

#119 Post by Indy452 »

whoops double post for some reason...sorry.

navegante

Pupsavefile corruption

#120 Post by navegante »

wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso Old Toshiba laptop, no hdd, 256mb ram, pendrive 4gb. Pupsavefile corruption trouble on usb install, (sound icon dissapaired, Alsamixer gives input/output error). Corruption after a crash, a (barbarian) poweroff, fsck or no cause at all. I tried with both kind of upsavefiles, with the native usb installer, with the usb install of the generic installer, with unetbootin, tried to backup pupsavefile..... No solution for the corruption issue of the pupsavefile. I worked nearly a week on it (I had to achieve this).
Solved it with frugal install on ext3 partition and saving to filessystem, no pupsavefile. Installed Pupsaveconfig pet and configured it to save only manual, not even saving session by shutdown. 1gb of swap partition on the same pendrive for viewing online videos. It works fine, very fast and seems stable. Even after crashes, fsck or button-poweroff it works fine with no corruption.
Viewing Powerpoint slides only possible online, Libreoffice too heavy for this h.w., no working browser plugin, no decent working viewer for puppi, Wine + Powerpointviewer is too heavy for this h.w.

Only Puppi saved this h.w. from scrap, tried other Linux distros, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, DSL, old and new, mimimal, maximal, .....didn´t work or were too slow. Best Puppi: Wary
Thank you.

zekebaby

Re: Pupsavefile corruption

#121 Post by zekebaby »

navegante wrote:wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso Old Toshiba laptop, no hdd, 256mb ram, pendrive 4gb. Pupsavefile corruption trouble on usb install, (sound icon dissapaired, Alsamixer gives input/output error
Same sound problems I used to have. Try removing the entire /dev directory and rebooting - sound should come back.

wuwei

#122 Post by wuwei »

Hope this is the right place to put it:

I found a strange behaviour in Wary 511:

When using gdmap it crashes when I click on the "Open" icon top left.

Terminal has this to say:
# gdmap

(gdmap:18726): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault
#
Same happens when using treesize (after installing the pet).

Does anybody have an idea?

Frugal install, warysave file, on ext3 partition with grub.

cowboy

#123 Post by cowboy »

zekebaby wrote:
navegante wrote:wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso Old Toshiba laptop, no hdd, 256mb ram, pendrive 4gb. Pupsavefile corruption trouble on usb install, (sound icon dissapaired, Alsamixer gives input/output error
Same sound problems I used to have. Try removing the entire /dev directory and rebooting - sound should come back.
zekebaby - thank you for your help on this. Do you mean that one should delete the /dev folder and its contents, or leave the folder and delete the contents? Didn't know if it would matter.

I hope your fix is incorporated into woof, and that is helps. It occurs in the recent spups as well. It is really, really, disappointing, and makes the releases difficult to use - about the time one gets everything set up comfortably, the sound disappears.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

sindi

wary 511 and lilo

#124 Post by sindi »

Puppy 4.31 retro 2.6.21.7 and 4.12 (pulp 0.1)
boot on everything with loadlin or lilo. As does
a non-retro Puppy 4.31.

Tinycore boots on everything with lilo but not with loadlin.

Wary 5.11 (with scsi and modem support, about 130MB) boots with lilo
on one 700MHz Toshiba laptop, but not on three desktops,
where "wary_511.sfs not found" whether or not I steer it
to the directory with append= in lilo.conf.
(Loadlin just reboots the computer).

I have vmlinuz and initrd.gz in a FAT32 /dev/hda1
and the .sfs file in /dev/hda6 ext2. Puppy 4 similarly.

It works from live CD on at least one of the desktops.

I used lilo from hd and fd. Anything else to try?

Lupu won't even boot from CD half the time. My desktops
are circa 2001-2002, the laptop around 1999.

zekebaby

#125 Post by zekebaby »

cowboy wrote:
zekebaby wrote:
zekebaby - thank you for your help on this. Do you mean that one should delete the /dev folder and its contents, or leave the folder and delete the contents? Didn't know if it would matter.
Sorry for not being specific . . . either method works. I just nuke /dev (folder and contents), but removing the contents and leaving an empty /dev would also work. Did it work for you?