Wary Puppy 5.1.1 Final

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: 5.1.1 LiveCD

#46 Post by BarryK »

gcmartin wrote:I downloaded to test this version and found several items to note.

1. The XVesa video support seems to be broken as
  • drag and drop doesnt work properly
  • middle mouse button doesn't do what I had expected in pasting from one window to another
2. When I tried to run glxgears from a terminal window I get the followiing messages:

Code: Select all

#glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visualXlib
It appears that to run LiveCD, I cannot go to XVesa for full desktop use. Further in order to run glxgears, I MUST Probe for a video before I can use glxgears., then I can go to XVesa to run glxgears. BUT, the other items I report still remain.

Lastly the PPM drivers for this intel card does not reflect that one is dependent upon the other. Each driver is s minor order improvement when I move from Pristine to each of the listed drivers on LiveCD.

What was surprising is that the XVesa was a order above the Intel dirvers in the PPMs. I didn't expect to see this.

I wonder how many other users have run glxgears with and without Xvesa and have seen a surprisingly faster video report?

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2080  @ 1.73GHz
Memory		: 1545MB (280MB used)
Operating System		: Puppy Linux 0.51
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Fri 25 Feb 2011 01:30:05 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 CHICONY HP Basic USB Keyboard
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 Video Bus
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A
USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive
-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2080  @ 1.73GHz
Memory		: 1545MB (280MB used)
Operating System		: Puppy Linux 0.51
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Fri 25 Feb 2011 01:30:05 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 CHICONY HP Basic USB Keyboard
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 Video Bus
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A
USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive
This si a laptop.

Hope this helps.
I recommend stay away from Xvesa, it has many problems. If you need to use a generic X driver, use 'vesa'.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Seamonkey Crashes

#47 Post by BarryK »

FeodorF wrote:Dear Barry,

I experienced the same problem as rodin.s - Seamonkey crashes.

I followed your advice about upgrading the display driver to Xorg 7.5 .

I worked with SM after the upgrade for hours - success! No more problems.

MoBo is a SiS 740/962 with 1GB(RAM), 128KB(VGA).

Cheers, FeodorF
Ah, you have SiS hardware... I think that the kernel sis.ko module has problems in the 2.6.32.28 kernel. It would be interesting to compare behaviour with the Wary built with 2.6.31.14 kernel.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#48 Post by BarryK »

If you have Wary 5.1 installed, here is the easy way to upgrade to 5.1.1 (93KB):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -5.1.1.pet

...a massive 93KB download!

One thing it does not do though, is fix the duplicate-listing problem of save-files at bootup, as described here (and earlier in this forum thread):

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02155

...to fix that, you need to download the complete 5.1.1 live-CD.

gcmartin

#49 Post by gcmartin »

Sorry but I should have done a better job of indicating where the VESA support that I use comes from....XORGWIZARD.

R U saying that xorgwizard steers me to buggy code?
Am I using it improperly; at system startup without doing a "probe" it has desktop problems AND even when I do a "Probe" it continues to have desktop problems. Further, glxgears is reporting much faster performance afer re-running xorgwizard for VESA than using ANY driver in the system/PPM for video.

Something is not right with desktop video behavior in this particular laptop. If there is some other info you would like provided I will.

I am particularly interested in why glxgears (the performance tool of choice in Puppyland) is reporting better performance when the Pristine system is configured for VESA that all other combinations of normal and xorgwizard setups.

Just trying to understand.

FeodorF

#50 Post by FeodorF »

BarryK wrote:

Cheers, FeodorF
Ah, you have SiS hardware... I think that the kernel sis.ko module has problems in the 2.6.32.28 kernel. It would be interesting to compare behaviour with the Wary built with 2.6.31.14 kernel.
Dear Barry,

you are right at the money!

I have installed Wary 5.1.1 K-2.6.31.14 on my hard drive (ntfs) in frugal mode. (‘Grub’ had scared the hell out of me when I started with Puppy Linux more than a year ago - now I really love ‘Grub’.)

I tried to crash Seamonkey while using Xorg 1.3.0 at 1600x900x24 on the SiS board. No way to crash it!

Good!

Further testing ...

Second PC is also SiS MoBo: 741GX/963 with 1GB(RAM) and 128MB(VGA).

Did a frugal install on the hard disk with Wary 5.1.1 kernel 2.6.31.14 .

Used Xorg 1.3.0 set up to 1440x900x24. Seamonkey works well!

Cheers, FeodorF
Last edited by FeodorF on Sat 26 Feb 2011, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Doglover

#51 Post by Doglover »

BarryK wrote:
Doglover wrote:Nice job Barry, but my wireless network settings are not saved when rebooting or shutdown. I'm using the standard Network Wizard. Everything else works great.
Have you tried Simple Network Setup (SNS)? I don't develop nor use Network Wizard myself, and rely on others to find any faults in it.
Upgraded to 5.1.1 and tried the SNS... but still the network settings are not saved. I have a rt2500 pci, (which for the first time) needed to have the antenna turned on to activate the interface. Previous puppies did not need the antenna switch to be pressed, I have a pcmcia card that I can try, but I'd rather use the onboard chip.

tater

#52 Post by tater »

I have two boxes I'm running wary511 on.

I'm running kernel 2.6.31.14 on an old p3 600 slot1 with 256ram. It's now a headless samba server. It's rock solid and gave new life to an otherwise useless pc. This happens to be the first computer I built back in '99 and I'm happy to say that it's running better on wary than it ever did on windows.

I also have an old p4 1.7ghz with 512mb ram that I'm running kernel 2.6.32.28. This old box is also running sweet on wary. The nvidia drivers are working well on both systems. They both have ancient nvidia cards.

Thank you so much, Barry, and all involved with puppy linux!

Peace! :D

Henry

Wary 511 problem with Scribus EDIT

#53 Post by Henry »

I never stray much from QNop12 but thought I'd try the latest wary (small iso). Looked like a chance to try a modern Scribus, with only one dependency (Qt4).

Installed with ppm, it ran but complained: python plugin failed - look at detail in stderr. Said "something is probably broken with your python." What best to do?

EDIT: Actually, I don't know what python even does here. Scribus seems to work. Searching for python in the PPM yields nothing, not even a flicker, unlike searching for xfce, which gives a red banner. I was just curious. I installed a python pet to no avail. I don't expect to use Scribus anyway :-)

Also I have an etho and eth1 wired interfaces and have to choose one again after each boot. Not important and I think was mentioned above.

Otherwise things are getting better and better. Clean and crisp. Thanks, Barry

http://henrystrobel.com/linux.htm
Last edited by Henry on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 04:40, edited 2 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#54 Post by BarryK »

FeodorF wrote:
BarryK wrote:

Cheers, FeodorF
Dear Barry,

you are right at the money!

I have installed Wary 5.1.1 K-2.6.31.14 on my hard drive (ntfs) in frugal mode. (‘Grub’ had scared the hell out of me when I started with Puppy Linux more than a year ago - now I really love ‘Grub’.)

I tried to crash Seamonkey while using Xorg 1.3.0 at 1600x900x24 on the SiS board. No way to crash it!

Good!

Further testing ...

Second PC is also SiS MoBo: 741GX/963 with 1GB(RAM) and 128MB(VGA).

Did a frugal install on the hard disk with Wary 5.1.1 kernel 2.6.31.14 .

Used Xorg 1.3.0 set up to 1440x900x24. Seamonkey works well!

Cheers, FeodorF
FeodorF,
Would you mind testing one other thing, just to eliminate it... the PC in which I had md5sum and tar not working properly has SiS chips on the motherboard. Could you try that test, running Wary with 2.6.32.28 kernel, mount the CD, open a terminal:

# md5sum wary_511.sfs
51862296cd482d8b3013e8e13e30c5f8 wary_511.sfs

Or, for Wary 5.1 with k2.6.32.28:

# md5sum wary_510.sfs
599b7ad9f3faf4a30a7ecf44053bf1c0 wary_510.sfs

James C

#55 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Wary 511 on the old P3 test machine.Everything working well on initial boot....sound,internet and display all working and correct.

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 511

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 GMCH [Graphics Memory Controller Hub]
Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 254MB (112MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.51
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 28 Feb 2011 01:14:25 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.32.28 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Sat Feb 5 11:15:25 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.51

Working well on all 3 computers I've installed on.

bigpup

#56 Post by bigpup »

gcmartin wrote:Sorry but I should have done a better job of indicating where the VESA support that I use comes from....XORGWIZARD.

R U saying that xorgwizard steers me to buggy code?
Am I using it improperly; at system startup without doing a "probe" it has desktop problems AND even when I do a "Probe" it continues to have desktop problems. Further, glxgears is reporting much faster performance afer re-running xorgwizard for VESA than using ANY driver in the system/PPM for video.

Something is not right with desktop video behavior in this particular laptop. If there is some other info you would like provided I will.

I am particularly interested in why glxgears (the performance tool of choice in Puppyland) is reporting better performance when the Pristine system is configured for VESA that all other combinations of normal and xorgwizard setups.

Just trying to understand.
This is a guide for changing video drivers with xorgwizard. Written for Nvidia, but principles the same for any driver.
Very important to follow steps, if you have installed and tried a driver and wish to change.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58810

bleriot

#57 Post by bleriot »

Hi!

I installed wary 5.11 yesterday on my old Toshiba Portégé 4000. Everything works very well but the wireless. There is no way to connect to the internet using the wireless method.

On the contrary, Puppy 4.31 loads the orinoco_cs module automatically and finds the proper interface (eth1) so I can connect to the internet without problems.

If I manually load orinoco_cs the problem persists. I get a message saying that no new interfaces have been found...

I'm sorry but I cannot provide with the specific model of wireless card. I've searched for hours and the only spec that I can find about this adapter is "toshiba wireless minicard". Seems, however to be built by Lucent technologies.

Any help?

Thank you very much.

---- EDIT

I forgot to mention that I installed:

wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso

Thanks again.

Michalis

#58 Post by Michalis »

I have some problems with wary 511.

1. While booting up and shutting down many times it stalls without doing anything until I press continuously any key in the keyboard. Sometimes it does it also while I'm using it until I press any key or move the mouse. The stranger is that it doesn't do it every time but until now most of the times.

I had this again with early quirkies but not with the latest quirky 140.

2. In xorgwizard I probe for the video resolution and although I choose 1680x1050, which is the monitor's native resolution and also the graphic card supports it, when booting in wary the resolution is 1400x1050. I go to the xorg video wizard to the resolution changer and I can't choose 1680x1050. Even stranger in the xorg.conf the resolution is set up to 1680x1050 :shock:

If I don't probe but I try to choose the graphic card's driver X doesn't start. I have an ATI 4250 and it doesn't start either I choose ATI or Radeon driver (I don't know which one should I choose).

The resolution problem set to 1400x1050 I have it also in puppy 4.31 and quirky 140, but through the resolution changer I can choose the correct resolution.

3. I can't update the X driver of my card neither the X to 7.5. For my card it says that there isn't any driver when in quirky 140 I have download the driver, so there is. When I try to update the X to 7.5 it downloads the package but doesn't install it.

4. Because I tried to update the X to 7.5 many times but at the end it didn't install now at ppm I have in the installed packages many empty lines. also when I checked the user-installed-packages file I have the following:

|||||||root|||
|||||||root|||
|||||||root|||
|||||||root|||
Opera-11.01|Opera|11.01||Internet|20472K||Opera-11.01.pet||A fast and secure web browser and Internet suite||||
Opera-11.01_NLS|Opera|11.01_NLS||BuildingBlock|10632K||Opera-11.01_NLS.pet|+opera,|locales for Opera||||
|||||||root|||
Where of course |||||||root||| is the attempt to upgrade the X to 7.5 and the empty lines in ppm. I think it could be nice in such a case ppm to remove those empty entries.

5. I can't connect to msn with ayttm. That is an ayttm bug so I will contact with Siddhesh to see if he can fix it. I am posting it just as a reference, known issue.

I hadn't used wary previously and I think that it needs more work. Overall my opinion is that quirky is much better.

By the way the one I use is wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso

FeodorF

Re:requested testing k-2.6.32.28

#59 Post by FeodorF »

Dear Barry,

do you want me to try with less RAM(768MB, 512MB or 256MB+SWAP-partition)?

Cheers, FeodorF

Oh, I forgot one thing to mention (in common) about CD size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM

I have two very old spare drives; only being able to address 650MB(74min).

If you would have a drive like this installed with your SiS board, that could create md5sum errors to. (But only if the CD is filled up to the max with data.)

FeodorF

Re: Seamonkey crashes with k-2.6.32.28

#60 Post by FeodorF »

That is cool!

Seamonkey kept crashing on Wary 5.1.1 k-2.6.32.28 .

I went into the BIOS-setup and changed DRAM clock&timing to new values. The new values are now:

AMI-BIOS 07.00T

ADVANCED SETUP
DRAM CAS# Latency : SPD
Timing Setting Mode : Normal

-----------------------------------------------------
it was offered : SPD, 2T, 2.5T 3T
and : Safe, Normal, Fast, Ultra
-----------------------------------------------------

After the changes there were no more crashes of Seamonkey. Hope this helps.

Cheers, FeodorF

Country Bumkin

uSB Mouse failure on full install

#61 Post by Country Bumkin »

A USB mouse is not recognised when booted from a full install on a HDD.
It works normally using the live CD.

Using a full install of wary-511-k2.6.32.28-small.iso on an Acer 3618 laptop.

When booting the HDD the 'Waiting for modules USB' counts 1... 10

The laptop touch pad works normally and USB memory sticks work normally.

When connecting the USB mouse the 'messages' file shows no response.

Regards C Bumkin

gcmartin

Recommendation for SFSs

#62 Post by gcmartin »

What is the official method for LIveDVD Warry users to employ the DEVX SFS?

If there is no "official" method, what is a recommended method for employing any SFS on LIveDVD?

Thanks in advance.

Sage

#63 Post by Sage »

DRAM CAS# Latency : SPD
Timing Setting Mode : Normal
Those are default settings.
You should run Timing at Fast in virtually anything built since ~1998.
CAS Latency achievable depends on speed and quality of memory. By way of example only and bearing in mind Wary's intended application to older kit, you should be able to run 2T with branded 400Mhz DDR. PC100 SDRAM will usually give you good results with 3T, but if you're really lucky, some unbranded stuff is just excess production of 'branded' strips being off-loaded and you might be able to beef it up. [Higher number is slower.] You have to experiment.
It amazes me that folks who seem reasonable proficient in the SW Dept still haven't mastered the vagueries of FW!
You need:
http://www.wimsbios.com/
and
Adrian's Rojak Pot - if it's still around.
Try:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/mem ... ex_3.shtml
although my experiences are not the same as theirs. If you set CAS Latency too high, eg 2T, with inadequate memory, it can stop your board - of that there is no doubt, so their reported figures will come as a surprise to inveterate BIOS fiddlers.

Discussion of newer BIOS and non-BIOS systems is irrelevant in the context of Wary.

Colonel Panic

#64 Post by Colonel Panic »

Dear Barry,

I've just downloaded and am posting from Wary 5.1.

Thanks for Wary Pup, it's great!

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#65 Post by BarryK »

Upgrade for USB 3G modems!

If you have wary 5.1.1 (or 5.1 and you have applied the service_pack_wary-5.1-to-5.1.1.pet), I have created a Service Pack that upgrades usb-modeswitch to version 1.1.7. See my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02166

If you have a USB 3G modem, I would appreciate if you could test this Service Pack. I am particularly interested to get feedback on coldplugging versus hotplugging.

Note that if your 3G modem uses the 'hso.ko' kernel module, use Wary with the 2.6.32.28 kernel. I think that hso.ko is broken in the 2.6.31.14 kernel (?)