Smartlink PCI card modem woes; I'm stuck

Booting, installing, newbie
sma7769

Smartlink PCI card modem woes; I'm stuck

#1 Post by sma7769 »

Total newbie, well almost to linux. I have an internal PCI smartlink modem can't remember chipset but it is on the compatible list. This modem installs and works with Knoppix & Linspire, it also worked with the live Puppy CD.
Now I have managed to load the Puppy to the HDD boots up great, installing modem same process (which was present during installation). Restarting etc, etc. tried install direct from the web, and extracted file from Smartlink web site (local install) with the same result.
It does not work, the ttySLO initially says failure, after country and PCI selection it shows success, and installed on IRQ= (which doesn't 'feel' right. Shouldn't that be a #) Anyhow, after rebooting etc, the modem now looks to be installed. GKdial come up when connecting, connection lost on all 3 configuration (PPP, CHAP etc). Wvdial cannot even find the modem. Xeznet - gives a PPPd failure. The Xeznet is the one I was able to dial out and surf the net on with the live CD. Only thing that has changed here is the Puppy now lives and boots from the HDD, boots on /dev/hdda1 there are no 'other' OS installed, although there is a /dev/hdd3 just a blank linux formatted partition. When installing I chose the hdd1 at all times.

Please can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this. I am sure it is something in a configuration somewhere as it worked before. And I don't know where to go to fix it.

I really love the idea of the linux based operating systems having worked with 'the other guys' for years. But have never liked the 'must have' this that or the other of their products, and restrictions on installation. Well you all now what I mean.
I have ran into these modem issues, soo many times with the linux OS, problem is people dont want external modems, its just an extra item to sit on their desk and plug in. Your basic user has a tough time plugging in MSE, KBD & Monitor, let alone the power plug.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I feel your pain. Sorry I can't help, but the fact that you can use the modem from the live CD tells me that you will eventually get it to work.

Probably the most frustrating thing about Linux is the difficulty of getting a dial-up modem to work. Because dial-up is the oldest and most primitive form of long-distance communication between computers, you'd think Linux would have it down pat by now. Instead, almost anything else is easier to use in Linux -- except maybe printers. Go figure.

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

I experienced this problem recently with a lucent modem and conexant HCF and was able to 'fix' it with something similar to the folllowing:

Code: Select all

mv /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS0.old
ln -s /dev/ttySLO /dev/ttyS0 #ot ln -s /dev/ttySHCF0 /dev/ttyS0 for hcf
I didn't investigate further, but I can't think of why this should be necessary. I've used these drivers before without having to use that work around.

Puppy versions used were 1.0.5 & 1.0.8

John_C

#4 Post by John_C »

I also feel your pain!

For the last couple of years, I have had little problem with SmartLink internal software modems.... and when I did have a problem I was lucky enough to have both a Zoom and TrendNet external serial modem.

Started to notice that there were a lot of external modems for sale on eBay at really low prices -- probably owing to more and more people getting hi-speed connections and dumping their modems.

So (as usual) I got carried away and have obtained "several" external 56k V.90 & 92 modems. The short story: the ones that work best in everything are the USR V.92 externals -- I actually found them for $10-$20 and some are new or almost new.

So the point? Modems are not created equal. The USR/3Com and Zoom models just plan work better -- and I was never unhappy with my SmartLink internals.... but the speed difference (improved compression, etc.) with the externals is just so much faster. Well when you see Opera hitting peaks of 10-20 kb/s, you'll know what I mean. (and not cache--its cleared). I can honestly say, with a good external modem, it feels like you just got a new and faster internet connection.

Of course what I'm also saying is, why invest in software drivers and software modems, when for the same price, you just get a modem that works with everything and at better speeds... and no more opening the case to change modems.

sma7769

Many thanks for the input

#5 Post by sma7769 »

But, jcoder24 where would I 'put' this code? I think that is the right track. I don't know a whole lot about the coding part or where to go, although the language is starting to make a little sense to me I guess I ought to buy a book or something. I guess to manually configure this thing overiding the automatic stuff should do it. But how. I tried finding the set up info in the live CD after I got the modem working. But had no luck.

FLASH, beware of the 'old & primitive' references, there is a lot what would be offended. We live in a rural area, DSL, Broadband maybe 5 years or more from now, although the promises and marketing of 'coming soon' have been going on for 6. I have over 300 dial up customers in our backwoods area, who would love the highspeed. BUT our only options are satellite at an exhorbitant fee for set up & monthly payment. We have an ISDN (2 modem same connection)service offered that effectivly doubles dial up speed. Not True high speed, but better than a STD dial up. XP (sorry folks) is a breeze to set up for this, but linux I have my doubts of it's cabability as only one modem is giving such woes.

I am suprised that linux is 'hanging' so far behind on this internal modem issue. The Linux market is really starting to take off, we for one are more than ready to send our systems out with linux if it wasn't for this modem deal.

jcoder24

#6 Post by jcoder24 »

1. Open a console window
2. enter "mv /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS0.old"
3. enter "ln -s /dev/ttySLO /dev/ttyS0"
4. enter "wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf"
5. if it reports success the you can try one of the three dialers from the menu

sma7769

Tried that out

#7 Post by sma7769 »

Took a little bit not used to the syntax, but linux is so forgiving lets one try again. Anyhow, I guess the response is not so good. Says no modem, this is so crazy, it still works on this machine with the live CD. Below the response...

# mv /dev/ttySO /dev/ttySO.old
mv: cannot stat `/dev/ttySO': No such file or directory
# mv /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttySO.old
# ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/ttyS0
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttySL0<Info>: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Port Scan<*1>: SL0
ttyS0<Info>: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Port Scan<*1>: S0
ttyS0.old<Info>: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Port Scan<*1>: S0.old
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S2 S3 S4
ttySO.old<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.

Sorry, no modem was detected! Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/

If you still have problems, send mail to wvdial-list@worldvisions.ca.

Me thinking about whacking info from HDD, reinstalling the puppy again. Have been messng with this soo much may be totally whacked.