Fluxbox Windowmanager

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Masf

#46 Post by Masf »

Hi, i open .xinitrc and see this:

Code: Select all

#v3.95 support fbpanel tray/taskbar...
#only launch tray for w.m. without inbuilt tray...
if [[ "$CURRENTWM" != "jwm" && "$CURRENTWM" != "icewm" && "$CURRENTWM" != "startxfce4" && "$CURRENTWM" != "startfluxbox" ]];then
 if [ -f /usr/bin/fbpanel ];then
  #a bit of a hack: when 3builddistro runs fixmenus, which calls variconlinks,
  #which populates /var/local/icons with symlinks, /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps
  #is not yet populated (happens at first boot, from default icon theme)...
  [ ! -e /var/local/icons/home48.png ] && ln -fs /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/* /var/local/icons/
  fbpanel &
 fi
 [ -f /usr/bin/lxpanel ] && lxpanel &
fi
I find "$CURRENTWM" != "startfluxbox" in the .xinitrc file, so i dont do anything,

I must change the && to -a ?

Also, i change the placement of the fluxbox panel to "top center" and now i see the two panels.

Edited

In another line of .xinitrc i can see:

CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
and the file windowmanager only have

fluxbox
Edited (again :roll: )

I change "startfluxbox" (in .xinitrc) for "fluxbox" and it works. Thanks

PD. Im using lucid-puppy 5.25

redandwhitestripes

#47 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Hi guys,
I've loved FB ever since the old Fluxpup fork was released a while back.

Back then, each window had a tab and you could group them together by middle clicking (i.e. mousewheel) and dragging.

With this release I can't get that to work and I've looked through the online documentation and played with the settings.

Anyone know how to get those tabs back?

Also, sometimes when I bring up the bottom-left corner menu, I want to close it by simply clicking outside it, but I can't. Instead I have to hit the 'esc' key which is a slight pain. Can anyone help with this, too?

Many, many thanks in advance.

aragon

#48 Post by aragon »

uploaded actual version to first post.

aragon

starhawk

#49 Post by starhawk »

Does not work in Wary511-Uniproc... on my thinkpad, it starts to load and dies almost immediately. No idea how to diagnose the issue, either, TBH.

aragon

#50 Post by aragon »

Hi starhawk,

Sorry can't help 4.31 is the newest puppy i'm running...

Aragon

Eyes-Only

#51 Post by Eyes-Only »

Starhawk? Have you tried opening a terminal window in "/usr/bin" and then typing "ldd fluxbox" ( without " " of course ) to get a dependency list to see whether or not you have any missing/unmet dependency issues?

I've run Aragon's package here on everything ranging from... hmm... Tux's ClassicPup-214-Top5, to KDPup-484, to all versions of Lucid-Pup, and from Racy to Slacko-5.3 - all without a single hiccup nor problem. Unfortunately I haven't been able to run it on any version of Wary to date as it simply refuses to run on my machine. Odd too! The one and only Puppy version/make to NOT run on my desktop. lol!!

Anyway, I hope that perhaps running a dependency check on your installed Fluxbox might help Starhawk. I know that for me this has occasionally picked up a dependency that the PPM has missed during install check.

Best of luck my friend!/Bonne chance mon ami!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

starhawk

#52 Post by starhawk »

Bonjour, Eyes-Only! Thank you for your suggestion, I have run the command you requested, and a screenshot of the results is attached to this post.

Kindly explain to me what all this gobbledegook means...

starhawk

#53 Post by starhawk »

Figured it out.

There is a necessary lib, attached to the first post of this thread, which Wary lacks. Guess the other Pups all have it. You *DON'T* need the -DEV version of the lib, just the one that's IIRC right below the screenshot of the whole thing.

Eyes-Only

#54 Post by Eyes-Only »

My sincere apologies for not having made it back in time to have helped you Starhawk - I don't make it to the forum as often as I would like. :(

I'm glad, however, that you were able to figure out the answer to your problem! :D Yes, that "ldd" command is really great and I frequently use it myself whenever something doesn't work - and it very often solves my problem as you yourself discovered as often it is only a missing lib which is needed for any programme to run properly.

In fact, this used to be the reason why I kept an updated install of a related Debian on a small partition of my drive - not that I was ever interested in using it as Puppy does it all for me! - but solely for finding missing libs that I wasn't able to find elsewhere. Well... that was MY work-a-round anyway. There are many, many, other ways of doing this as well, such as searching the Ubuntu/Debian web interface repositories for the files, searching in the PPM within Puppy ( this latter working the least-well for me though ), etc.

I hope all of this has helped in some small way for future installs of software, and I also hope that you're greatly enjoying Aragon's .pet of Fluxbox. It's a real beauty, isn't it? :D

By the way: If you'd like to find even MORE themes for your Fluxbox besides those excellent ones here on the forum you may want to give http://www.box-look.org/ a try. I've found perhaps 50 more there! :shock:

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

bones01

#55 Post by bones01 »

Just thought I'd add this for anyone else trying to work this out.

I opened up /root/.wbarstuff/shutoff (open as text) and saw the code suggested 'wmshutdown'.

Looking at /root/.fluxbox/menu and scrolling down to the bottom, I saw that this used the term 'shutdownflux'

So I simply deleted 'wmshutdown' to 'shutdownflux' in the .wbarstuff file, and now the shutdown button on wbar (from wbar Configuration Centre -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1546975310) works fine.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Fossil

#56 Post by Fossil »

Does anyone know where I can find a fluxbox-1.3.2.pet for Puppy 4.3.1? When clicking the download link on page 1 it returns, "An Error Occurred". Thanks.

dejan555

#57 Post by dejan555 »

puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Fossil

#58 Post by Fossil »

@dejan555 Thank you - much appreciated.

Griot

#59 Post by Griot »

Zdravo, Dejane & ostali! ;)
Postoji li .pet za Precise 5.72? Hvala!

English: Hi, Dejan & all!
Is there a .pet for Precise 5.72? Thanx!

dejan555

#60 Post by dejan555 »

Hi Griot :)
Not sure if there's pet specifically compiled for that precise version but you can try if this one works:
fluxbox-1.3.5-i686-dpup486.pet

Otherwise, search for .deb in package manager or here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386 ... x/download
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

Griot

#61 Post by Griot »

Thanx, Dejane.
Confirming it works on Precise 5.72. Though building menus is a different animal. :)

dejan555

#62 Post by dejan555 »

Type fluxbox_menu_refresh for menu generation, also if you edit fixmenus script to include that line at the end they could be generated automatically after pet installs.

Griot

#63 Post by Griot »

Okee dokee, thanks for the tip. :wink: