How to install LaTeX in Wary 5?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Nadi82001

How to install LaTeX in Wary 5?

#1 Post by Nadi82001 »

HI,
I've just installed Puppy (WARY 5) on an old Dell latitude c400 with 256 Mb RAM.
I would like to install latex on it (with some kind of editor - kile, texmaker?)
Does anyone know how to do it? I have done some searching - all lead me to old/broken links and I couldn't do it.
I need instructions for download and install.

Thanks,

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

There is an .sfs with Lyx at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61226
I thought the .sfs I had was smaller though. If I remember I'll check that tomorrow.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Nadi82001

#3 Post by Nadi82001 »

Thanks,
I will try to download it today.
Do I need to know anything about installation? It says Python is needed, how do I install Python?
And one more question: Do you know anything about TeX editors (I am not familiar with lyx. I know Kile and Texmaker. Is there an easy way to use one of them on Puppy)?

emil

#4 Post by emil »

some short remarks:
for the Latex/lynx.sfs: there are some specific python packages around, but the easiest is to install the devx.sfs for your puppy version. It will have python included (check with python from commandline).

If you want to use Latex alone, there is the Texlive distribution
http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
several people have reported success with this, but I think the vanilla install is bigger then diddiks "latex/lyx" package.

Kile will most probably not work easily because *i think* it needs KDE as Desktop environment. You may try to use Texmaker (there is a Debian/ubuntu deb package at their Hompage). I think it will need Qt, maybe the Qt included with Lyx is sufficient.

Another idea would be to use emacs, which will of course have an latex mode.
Anyhow if you have success with Texmaker it would be nice you report it here, maybe there is even the chance for a pet package?

8) best
emil

Nadi82001

#5 Post by Nadi82001 »

Thanks, but I'm still where I was yesterday:
Trying to run the installer I get:

Can't locate Pod/Usage.pm in @INC.....
at install-tl line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at install-tl line 48

The installer needs perl(?) and I don't now how to install it. tried to follow old instructions I found, but it didn't help. I understand I need devx - what is it? Are there few versions of it? (I got Wary 5.1.1) Where can I find it? and what do I do with it after I download the file?

Another question - about TeXmaker: I got the .deb package - now what?
Is there a way to install it on Puppy?

Thanks again - I appreciate your help.

emil

#6 Post by emil »

It's a bit late for a repy, but I check forum rarly -
You seem to be stuck at the very basics:
perl is included in the devx.sfs that is available for every puppy version and includes development relevant stuff. Check the puppylinux homepage, there is a chapter about "DEVELOPEMENT" http://puppylinux.com/development/index.html with instructions how to install sfs packages (Menu/System/Bootmanager)

In Ubuntu based puppies you can install deb packages by cklicking on it. I don't know if this works in Wary or other variants. There is also a program "debbi" which can convert deb packages to extractable packages. Unfortunatly very often you will need additional dependencies, so you have start the program in console, watch eventual error messages and then try to install the missing libraries etc.

It would be great if we had some Latex / Texmaker expertise here on the forum. Unfortunatly I have limited time/INternet access for the next months, so I cannot help much with the grunt work.

Nadi82001

#7 Post by Nadi82001 »

Yes, I realized I needed the devx.sfs - already installed it. After that I had some trouble with the personal storage file - I had to resize it.

When I have time for it, I will try this "debbi" and see if I can use it to install the .deb package. If it works, I will tell you here.

emil

#8 Post by emil »

Maybe skip "debbi" and try unrpm/undeb from this recent post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 52d#504743

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

Did you actually try the Lyx .sfs?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Nadi82001

#10 Post by Nadi82001 »

O.K.,
I did it. and it worked. I had Lyx running (it wasn't Lyx.sfs, but something like Latex_Lyx_v09.sfs).
Right now, I have a different kind of troubles. I will return when I've done with them.

Thanks again,