Possible Solution for DVD-R Saving Problem

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
dewdrop

#1 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Multi-Session Pups,

I have written a little about this in my thread about my keyboard, sound, and Printing efforts.

What I did may help you. I took the DVD-R out of the disc drive, wave it back and forth about 50 times, and re-inserted it into the drive. I then attempted to save some changes that I had made using the save button on the desktop - this to a disc that I had been told was no longer useable and I needed to insert a new DVD. The save occured as normal. I then made some more changes, but this time I simply took the DVD out of the drive, and laid it aside while I did some more changes. After a few minutes, I replaced the DVD into the drive, ask for a re-boot, it asked to save the changes I clicked yes and it saved the additional changes.

The one hangup that I still haven't figured out is that it wants to boot up into the maximum Xorg resolution of 1920x1440.....one of the changes I originally made was to use the Xorg screen. Resolutions. I think I may have solved it....making the changes to the resolution I want, then doing the save icon on the desktop to save the change....but this is not for sure yet.

If you are having problems with saving things back to the DVD-R - or some of the other discs that people are trying to use - you might give this low tech answer a try.....TAKE THE DISC OUT OF THE DRIVE WAVE IT IN THE AIR FOR ABOUT 50 SECONDS, and see if it will save your changes.

Good Luck,

dewdrop

Ted Dog

I only waved mine for 5 seconds

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

It worked for me but only needed 5 seconds of waving about, I haven tried this yet but try mounting/unmount before saving if your DVD 'sleeps' This may be a month early April first is the date you should have posted this !
:P

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

This may be related to why burning programs pop the tray out briefly sometimes. I've read that it resets something but I forget what.

dewdrop

#4 Post by dewdrop »

Mar 2

Major improvements to multisession shutdown. Reliability of session-saving for both CD and DVD improved.

I found that the Joliet extension can sometimes cause session-saving to fail, so have removed it. A previous problem with some files and directories not getting saved has been fixed.
Hi,

The above quote is from Barry's Developers Page, and may have some relationship to what I accidently discovered by physically removing the disc and waving it about.

When I fist tried to use my new DVD-RW drive, it would not easily load Puppy 1.0.7 final which I had been loading using a Pocket CD-R, so I switched to using Puppy 1.0.7 final on a regular sized CD-RW. This morning I inserted the Pocket CD-R, and everything reacted normally.....ie. Puppy 1.0.7 loaded correctly.

I have not tried leaving the Pocket CD-R in the drive, and re-booting the machine without opening/closing the DVD drive. If it fails, but then works when I try it after opening/closing the drive, I'm gonna try getting a Pocket DVD-R, and using that.

I expect that it will fail...if the advise from Flash and TedDog has merit, and I believe those guys know what they are talking about.

If it is a case of a "sleeping" DVD drive, or something being reset when the door is opened/closed, maybe Barry can re-insert the Joliet Extention code since it isn't really the cause of the writing failures..... this may have nothing to do with reality, it is just me thinking out loud, but I'll let the guys that really know provide the right answer.

Are we having fun or what!!!

dewdrop

dewdrop

Re: Possible Solution for DVD-R Saving Problem

#5 Post by dewdrop »

dewdrop wrote:
I expect that it will fail...if the advice from Flash and TedDog has merit, and I believe those guys know what they are talking about.
dewdrop
Hi,

Sure enough!! It failed when I tried to re-boot without first opening/closing the DVD drive.

But then, even after opening/closing the DVD drive, it would not re-boot.

So I turned off the computer completely, let it set for about a minute, turned it back on, opend then closed the DVD drive, and it booted normally.

I guess it must be my DVD drive, as Flash and TedDog suspected.

I have not been able to obtain a Pocket DVD-R yet, but will try putting 1.0.8r1 on one of those to see how it reacts when I get hold of one.

dewdrop

Ted Dog

reseat IDE cable

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

I had like issue with a sound problem. I could solve it by either unplugging the PC for a half an hour or boot into windows. I found by accident when I rerouted the cable it would work all the time now.
I had a bad issue with a DL-DVD-RW drive by AOPEN (they finally emailed me back) causing all sorts of read / write problems.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

No, there is definitely a problem with the Joliet extension.
I don't recall the exact error message, but it's due to a limitation in the Joliet
specification, that causes two different files in the same directory to resolve to
the same filename, which greatly upsets the session-save.

I got this a couple of times.