Classic Opera browser 12.16 [SFS] for Wary and Racy.etc

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terryphi

#31 Post by Terryphi »

Tman,

Thanks for your comments. If you believe this is a bug in Opera 11.60 rather than in your Internet Apps downloader then you can report it to Opera Software using the crash report system. When crashes happen they are often related to memory problems.

For me on Racy, Wary and Linux Mint there have been no crash problems using 11.60 (or 11.52.)
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Tman

#32 Post by Tman »

The error occurs for me with your Opera 11.60.sfs. I did not include it into my internet apps downloader because of this. Instead, the downloader uses a modified version of your Opera 11.52 in pet format, with an option to delete the /root/.opera folder when the pet is uninstalled.

aarf

#33 Post by aarf »

i was using opera11.60 for a number of hours in saluki and had no problems at all either on shutdown or restart or re-boot. it was opera-11.60-1185.i386.linux from bz2 manually extracted to folder with the advised console code not by using extractor gui.. so it was a positive for both opera and saluki.
fonts are a bit small and changing them in the opera preferences didnt seem to make the required enlargement.

Tman

#34 Post by Tman »

Thanks aarf,

Perhaps the issue is specific to my home computer or maybe it's conflicting with some other app that I've installed. Or maybe I got a bad download. I will download it again and try it on a fresh install.

Edit:
It was definately due to something I had installed earlier that was causing the problem. So I removed all of the apps I had added to Puppy Package Manager to try and pinpoint what app caused the problem. Unfortunately the error persisted after I had removed everything from PPM.
Anyhow, Opera works fine when I ran it in pfix=ram mode, so I will repackage it and offer it as a pet for my downloader app. Thank You, Terryphi.

QueenCanadia

#35 Post by QueenCanadia »

Opera 11.60 has a lot of graphics/redrawing issues on my Puppeee Celeron, and I wind up having to manually kill the process. I installed the latest .pet. Can someone please link to an Opera 11.52 .pet? I am about to stab Chrome. THANKS!

Terryphi

#36 Post by Terryphi »

QueenCanadia wrote:Opera 11.60 has a lot of graphics/redrawing issues on my Puppeee Celeron, and I wind up having to manually kill the process. I installed the latest .pet. Can someone please link to an Opera 11.52 .pet? I am about to stab Chrome. THANKS!
Graphics/redrawing issues? Sounds like you have insufficient memory.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Terryphi

#37 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the SFS to Opera 11.61 (build 1250) which is the latest official release.

See first post in this thread for more information and download location.

PenguinPupLin

#38 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Sorry,your opera-11.60 sfs didn't work for my Lighthouse Pup 5.0.3,no menu icon created even. I had to do it manually by downloading the opera tarball,extract it to /usr/lib and make menu for it. Haven't tried your latest opera-11.61-1250.sfs yet.
I would prefer loading sfs instead which LHP503 can load up to 40 without bloating up the pupsave.

Terryphi

#39 Post by Terryphi »

PenguinPupLin wrote:Sorry,your opera-11.60 sfs didn't work for my Lighthouse Pup 5.0.3,no menu icon created even. I had to do it manually by downloading the opera tarball,extract it to /usr/lib and make menu for it. Haven't tried your latest opera-11.61-1250.sfs yet.
I would prefer loading sfs instead which LHP503 can load up to 40 without bloating up the pupsave. Btw,if I understand correctly,I thought from opera 11.60 onwards,updates can be done automatically for Linux.
I know nothing about Lighthouse Pup 5.0.3. It works on Wary and Racy which are the Pups I use. Maybe you need to do #fixmenus at terminal to update menus in that version. (This is not necessary in Wary and Racy.) Any remnants of other Opera installs will mess things up so if you have created a new menu item pointing to /usr/lib you should not try the SFS. All this is explained in the notes on the download page.

Opera does not automatically update in Linux.

PenguinPupLin

#40 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Noted. Thanks for your reply.

Happy to report that I've just tried your latest opera-11.61-1250.sfs successfully in Slacko 5.3.1.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Terryphi

#41 Post by Terryphi »

Thanks for the feedback, PenguinPupLin. Glad to hear that the SFS works on Slacko 5.3.1.

PenguinPupLin

#42 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Glad to report your latest opera-11.61-1250.sfs also works well for my Lucid Puppy 528 (the updated 528.004.iso to be exact).

Thanks again for your contribution. Now using Opera 11.61 web browser to post this message.

Just to add - I first removed all traces of previous opera install before using your sfs but left out the /.opera, no serious issue, only that in the first tab,opera asks me to update to the latest version; probably part of my previous settings.

stu90

#43 Post by stu90 »

Portable application of Opera 11.61 for testing - no installation needed, after download just make the file executable and click on it to run.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3009188/Opera

(please do not try to strip this file as it is not the correct file type for this operation)

Terryphi

#44 Post by Terryphi »

stu90,
Interesting, but confusingly off topic for this thread which is about an SFS file for Opera. ;)

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper »

Hi Terryphi,

Whilst you do not claim your 11.61sfs works with Slacko 5.3.1 it was good to have PenguinPupLin's report that it works there for him.

I am also a Slacko 5.3.1 Main user and it seems to work perfectly for me; except that I get an error message when I close it. Also, for the first time the red opera icon on the right hand side of my system tray is enclosed in a small white box and I wonder if that is to be expected?

My regards and thanks

PS @stu90 Your portable version also seems to work perfectly, though it also gives an error message on closure and the icon is in the white box as well.

Terryphi

#46 Post by Terryphi »

Jasper,

I have also seen the error message on one of my computers running Wary 5.2.2. I my case it was caused by the Xorg 7.6 upgrade pet. When I uninstalled that pet the Opera error did not appear again.

Artie

#47 Post by Artie »

I'm running your latest sfs in 5.2.5 from a usb stick on a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop and it works fine. I always remove the previous version from the boot manager, reboot, add the latest and reboot again instead of removing and adding in the same operation. I seem to remember once something weird happened to the filesystem when I did it in one operation.

Terryphi

#48 Post by Terryphi »

Artie,
Thanks for the feedback and useful tip. I have not seen that problem myself but better safe than sorry.

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

Should I start a new thread maybe?

I hope it is okay to ask here among Opera browser users.

I am a long time FireFox user. More due to getting used to
have addons that is easy to use. noscript and others.

But Opera has something about it that I like and a great
community forum too?

And what about the Firefox using Google as first choice
of search engine. Maybe I want to use some other instead
and maybe Opera is less related to Google not having a deal?

I mean why do you guys use Opera at all? No offense
I really want to change but is dependent on FF I guess.

All my passwords are on FF and all my Bookmarks and so on
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#50 Post by nooby »

Artie wrote:I'm running your latest sfs in 5.2.5 from a usb stick on a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop and it works fine. I always remove the previous version from the boot manager, reboot, add the latest and reboot again instead of removing and adding in the same operation. I seem to remember once something weird happened to the filesystem when I did it in one operation.
That is good to know. I use forum member seaside's
sfs-exec pet and launch Opera that way as an SFS standalone

Not sure if that also would need a reboot when changing
to a later SFS?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though