Remastering - Getting it right (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Dougal

#16 Post by Dougal »

Rattlehead wrote:I followed step by step Dougal's instructions but I did not succeed. My kernel panicked again when booting from the new DVD. (My installation is in the hard drive, btw).
Hola, Torrente, a kernel panic is something more serious than the little changes you make in the sfs, it is usually something with the initrd/init script, or when switching to the sfs... it tends to happen as a result of a misnamed file/partition etc. so you want to try and boot with pfix=debug or something and see when the panic happens.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Rattlehead

#17 Post by Rattlehead »

SUCCESS :D :D :D :D :D :D

I had forgotten to add the CD's files to puppylivecdbuild. As I didn't understand most of the explanation, I guess I just copied the code and skipped the line that told to do so :oops: .

I redid the whole process and now it works. Thank you very much people, you're cool.

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

Just getting this on my list so I can read it several times and work out why I am having problems remastering..

labbe5

kernel panick! Is remaster utility buggy in Wary 5.5?

#19 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,
Having same problem : kernel panic when remastering Wary 5.5. Having a remaster would relieve the pressure about breaking something on my actual savefile. I took another approach : a backup of savefiles on dvd. But this way, no fresh frugal install is possible on a new machine. It will be buggy, if using same savefile from, for exemple Dell computer, single core, to Compaq double core. Since i am a simple end-user, i would need a simple solution.
What is baffling me is that the kernel panic can stall the booting process, from LiveCD, even though all went well for a long time on the same PC. And it's not even a remaster.
I thought for a while that the remaster utility of Wary 5.5 was buggy, so i lost hope about a remaster of Wary. Then i found this topic on the forum, so maybe i can do something to correct the problem. Such as a Pet to replace the actual remaster utility on Wary, a simple solution for a simple end-user like me.
Hopeful.

nic007

#20 Post by nic007 »

This manual remastering method works but the directory of the puppyfilesystem needs to be in a puppy file system environment for the copying of the files. I enlarged my save file and created the puppyfilesystem folder in / of the running system. Still need to experiment a bit more with the adding of files from the save file although I just copied root and etc from the running system (and replaced those directories in the puppyfilesystem folder).